Posting from side of highway...

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Also, since your tire does not appear to be shreded, have you checked the tread and both sidewall closely for signs of a foreign object puncture? It is amazingly easy for something small to puncture a sidewall without you hearing or knowing it, except for the blow out part! I would want to look for that myself before dealer pulls it off/apart, if possible. If not, Definitely have them show you in person or via a picture, if they find a likely or obvious cause. At least that way you could know it was just bad luck, and go on from there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Scott in Houston

Scott in Houston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Track Package
Ford is going to do digital imaging of the wheel, then get back to me on their conclusion. I expect that they would cover if there is determined to be a manufacturing defect, but I bet that they will try to not cover and blame it on road hazards.

We will see I guess. Stay tuned...

I guess there is some consolation in knowing that I could get insurance to cover if it is determined to be damage from hitting something.

OP
OP
Scott in Houston

Scott in Houston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Track Package
Also, since your tire does not appear to be shreded, have you checked the tread and both sidewall closely for signs of a foreign object puncture? It is amazingly easy for something small to puncture a sidewall without you hearing or knowing it, except for the blow out part! I would want to look for that myself before dealer pulls it off/apart, if possible. If not, Definitely have them show you in person or via a picture, if they find a likely or obvious cause. At least that way you could know it was just bad luck, and go on from there.

Good thoughts.
There was nothing that I could see, but regardless I am going to have the dealer give me extensive documentation on what they determine.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Are these for sure the same wheels? I was quoted three times that much.
You should not go by what the dealer 'quotes'. You need to research exactly what rim and tire you have, then check your best available prices. Check Tirerack.com for tire! Tirerack will likely drop ship to your dealer. I have had them drop ship tires to a participating tire shop (Big O) many times. TIre shops are fine with this.

Sponsored

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
WOW...That sucks man. Sorry :(.

The PP wheels are expensive as well. I think list price is like $1200 and a discounted price is $900. Someone posted these prices a while back. Hope things change and you can get it covered.

This is the sole reason I also got a complete warranty package that included wheels and tires (both the factory set and my aftermarket set that I will be getting very soon). Covers everything for 5 years, zero deductible, no limit on the # of claims, etc.
front rim 390, tire 340, that sucks

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
Scott use fordparts.com, enter your VIN and select Tommy Vaughn Ford at zip 77002

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP (x2), 2016 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know if this helps or not, but put FR3Z-1K007-A in Google and coming up with a lot of places that are sub $330....couple that are right around $300 per rim....

If you end up having to buy a set and don't want to hold onto the other 3....let me know. I intend to buy a spare set of PP rims eventually...yeah, I know WEIRD, I ACTUALLY LIKE THEM! :lol: (was thinking around fall time, but might do it earlier)

Good luck in all this...

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
This is false. The cutoff temp is around 40 but doing so in temps below that won't cause a blowout like this. Running the tires in temps below 40 results in reduced traction as the compound gets hard when it gets colder.

Yes you have to be more careful in the cold with summer tires but you shouldn't be afraid of the tire disintegrating. Most likely the OP hit something to cause the blowout which then cracked the wheel.
This is false. There are many, many sources (including the tire manufacturers themselves) that state that cold temperatures cause the rubber to get hard and BRITTLE, therefore causing blowouts to happen.

front rim 390, tire 340, that sucks
I've seen the fronts on tirerack.com for $267.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
That would have been a freakshow at speed.....

Sponsored

SPEEDFREAK13

Reaper
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Looks like a manufacturer defect to me there's no way a blowout would split a wheel like that. If so what a piece of $#!+

5LiterBeater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 ZCP M3
Looks like a manufacturer defect to me there's no way a blowout would split a wheel like that. If so what a piece of $#!+

Yeah, I agree with this as well.. I really can't believe a blow-out caused the disk to separate from the hub.

I hope you get this resolved to your liking OP, sucks to see this happen, but glad you're ok.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Hope there is not a manufacturing defect on one of the runs...Fingers crossed it's an isolated defect.
Sponsored