Wheel hub question

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I was changing the front studs on my car today and noticed this on one of the hubs. It looks like the shop that installed my extended studs many years overtightened when installing new studs ? I also noticed a small chip on the speed sensor ring.

Should I replace the hub with a new one ? Sorry for this noob question

20240413_214223.jpg

20240413_214304.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
krishelnino

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
In the picture, the hole looks egg shaped. If that is the case, replace the hub.
thanks, the hole is fine probably the angle of picture makes it look that way. My concern is regarding the hub surface , it is scoured a little bit (probably indentations from washers when they tried to install new studs)

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I was changing the front studs on my car today and noticed this on one of the hubs. It looks like the shop that installed my extended studs many years overtightened when installing new studs ? I also noticed a small chip on the speed sensor ring.

Should I replace the hub with a new one ? Sorry for this noob question

20240413_214223.jpg

Yikes, don't go back there.

Press the studs in. I don't even know how you cause that much damage installing wheel studs.

As far as the abs ring, that's fine. That's from hammering out the old studs rather than pressing them out.

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
Just to ad on. Use a good straight edge to check make sure they didn't warp the surface pounding out the studs.
Use a flat file to remove any burrs and you should be okay.
Check the hub for any wiggle side to side, up and down, or noise when turning. Their ham handed hammering could have caused damage to the bearing itself. That is the concern, not the surface marks.

Sponsored

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
Speaking as someone who recently drilled studs out of a car because they began spinning in the hub - future self would appreciate the replacement.

Factory is great, but in the real world most reputable aftermarket options will get and keep you rolling for a while.

I suggest new hardware for the joining of the hub/knuckle.

No new hardware, that’s the front. It’s just that large “axle” nut.

You are 1 large bolt away from not worrying about this again!

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
If your car has over 20k miles, I'd just replace it. New ones from mail order places are just over $100. You might want to replace the pair.

New ones come with studs, so no hassle there. If you find you need to R/R studs yourself, get the Lisle 22800 tool from eBay. And you can push out studs with a borrowed ball joint press.
Sponsored