Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have been looking at diffusers and etc. for my V6. And none are available because it is a "base" model.

How do I know if I have a base or premium bumper? The only tell tale I know is the little winglets between the brake light and exhaust...and my V6 has those??? I thought the V6 had no premuium or premium bumper option?

Pic included for help!

IMG_0538.jpeg
Sponsored

PVAMT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Deep impact blue / silver stripes, red pinstripes
Vehicle Showcase
MMD sells fins to apply to the base diffuser. They can be painted and just stick on. I have them on mine. I did add screws to help hold them on. I would add that they are a hell of a lot cheaper than a whole diffuser and you donā€™t have to cut it.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/mmd-rear-diffuser-fins-1517wbasebumper.html

If you donā€™t mind spending a bit more money try these. Adam makes nice parts, I have his front and side splitters.
https://c2aero.com/

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
MMD sells fins to apply to the base diffuser. They can be painted and just stick on. I have them on mine. I did add screws to help hold them on. I would add that they are a hell of a lot cheaper than a whole diffuser and you donā€™t have to cut it.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/mmd-rear-diffuser-fins-1517wbasebumper.html

If you donā€™t mind spending a bit more money try these. Adam makes nice parts, I have his front and side splitters.
https://c2aero.com/
Thanks for the response! But after checking multiple picsā€¦it looks like this is a premium bumper? Can you confirm for me?

PVAMT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Itā€™s difficult to say from your picture. If I remember correctly the base ones were body colored and one piece. The premium ones are two piece and black. Mine is base and a one piece. All Deep impact blue.

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Itā€™s difficult to say from your picture. If I remember correctly the base ones were body colored and one piece. The premium ones are two piece and black. Mine is base and a one piece. All Deep impact blue.
alright, so I do have a premium. Because it is seperated by a black piece in the middle with the top and bottom pieces being deep impact blue.

i bought this car from an older gentleman who was not car inclinedā€¦so I doubt that he modded the bumper as the entire rest of the vehicle was stock as stock could be.

so the question then is was the V6 offered with a premium bumper? As i have the base interior and 3.15 gearsā€¦so how do I have such a bumper? Was this offered on all V6s? I feel confused, and frankly, lied to šŸ«£šŸ˜‚ but in a good way if I have a premium bumper šŸ‘Œ

Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I feel like the V6 S550 was a weird animal that had a mish mash of things and not many options at all. I think their biggest market was rental fleets, if I remember correctly. Iā€™m sure that would have a big effect on how ford built them.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
^^^ That is 100% correct for the 2015-2017ā€™s.

In the image listed, that is considered to be the ā€œPremiumā€ rear bumper. All of the GT PP and EB PP of the time period also came with that 2-tone rear bumper.

If the vehicle had a solid color matched rear bumper cover, that would be the ā€œbaseā€ bumper cover.

ā€”-

We canā€™t answer the why or how your V6 ended up with a Premium rear bumper cover IF youā€™re saying the car is a ā€œbaseā€ model - so be happy itā€™s the premium cover and not base.

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
^^^ That is 100% correct for the 2015-2017ā€™s.

In the image listed, that is considered to be the ā€œPremiumā€ rear bumper. All of the GT PP and EB PP of the time period also came with that 2-tone rear bumper.

If the vehicle had a solid color matched rear bumper cover, that would be the ā€œbaseā€ bumper cover.

ā€”-

We canā€™t answer the why or how your V6 ended up with a Premium rear bumper cover IF youā€™re saying the car is a ā€œbaseā€ model - so be happy itā€™s the premium cover and not base.
you are awesome! Very happy I am, thank you so much!

PVAMT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m not sure about other vehicles but mine is a GT Performance Pack base car. It came with the base stereo, recaros, over the top stripes and full performance package. I did upgrade the stereo and speakers with Hextallā€™s kit, navigation and infinity speakers.

PVAMT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m not sure about other vehicles but mine is a GT Performance Pack base car. It came with the base stereo, recaros, over the top stripes and full performance package. I did upgrade the stereo and speakers with Hextallā€™s kit, navigation and infinity speakers.
It also has the one piece rear bumper and diffuser.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
It also has the one piece rear bumper and diffuser.
Yeah I purchased this mustang a little over a year ago from an older friend (may he rest in peace). He was not a car guy, just loved mustangs, as do we all. After doing some research I can conclude the gears are 3.15s, the 4" radio is indeed...a 4" radio...as per the "base" options. It is an automatic option, though doubt that makes much of a difference. Obviously from my profile pic and signature it is no longer slow and stock, though the stock 17" "base model" wheels are there (for now).

So as to the how and why I have a premium bumper...all I know is it saves me a lot of heartache time and money. And now I will proceed to buy the nicest diffuser I can find for my track days.

You guys rock once more, thank you forum members.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
alright, so I do have a premium. Because it is seperated by a black piece in the middle with the top and bottom pieces being deep impact blue.

i bought this car from an older gentleman who was not car inclinedā€¦so I doubt that he modded the bumper as the entire rest of the vehicle was stock as stock could be.

so the question then is was the V6 offered with a premium bumper? As i have the base interior and 3.15 gearsā€¦so how do I have such a bumper? Was this offered on all V6s? I feel confused, and frankly, lied to šŸ«£šŸ˜‚ but in a good way if I have a premium bumper šŸ‘Œ
yes you have a premium rear bumper. Most base cars did not have that but those equipped with the parking sensors got the premium bumper.

Last edited:

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
As far as I know the v6 didn't come with a premium rear bumpers. Yours might be an exception if came from factory. I have the same package car as yours (with rear parking sensors) and my rear bumper is a single piece one color.

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
As far as I know the v6 didn't come with a premium rear bumpers. Yours might be an exception if came from factory. I have the same package car as yours (with rear parking sensors) and my rear bumper is a single piece one color.
Definitely not gonna complain then (not that I would XD) because holy cow she looks so much better now.
Sponsored