Sponsored

Does my tire still ok for track and free way? PP2 tire PILOT SPORT CUP 2 in 5000miles

GTV6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 3.7, 2019 Mustang GT 5.0 PP2
cup 2 tire come from factory and run more than 5000 mils now.
side of 4 tires wear out more than inners.
front tires side line almost out.
back tires side line totally disappear.

Front tire:

IMG_9918.jpg

Back tire:

IMG_9915.jpg

Could I still running this tire for one track day and free way?
The Firestone guy told me I have to change it right now before track, but some other guy say it still ok for dry condition but not wet/rain.

And is it normal that side line wear out faster than others?
Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
You can still get another 1 to 1.5k miles out of it but I wouldn't drive those in any rain. Even when new those tires are sketchy on rain.

They are wearing evenly. The outer channel isnt that deep

OP
OP

GTV6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 3.7, 2019 Mustang GT 5.0 PP2
You can still get another 1 to 1.5k miles out of it but I wouldn't drive those in any rain. Even when new those tires are sketchy on rain.

So It is safe for a track day?

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
So It is safe for a track day?
Yes, specially since they will get hot they will get more grip causing it to wear much faster so maybe after your track you will probably have 500 miles left in them

Sponsored

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I have one on order, It might work in this case!
31A27EE3-2C30-4FE6-84EA-8033683DA767.jpeg

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

This ^ OP.
The outer channel isn't as deep as the other circumferential channels.
I'd add that you can drive in the rain, but must go slow, really have discipline with your right foot, and use the rain drive mode, which dumbs down the throttle response.

I drove in heavy rain on the highway a few weeks ago, got caught in it. I currently have less tread than what you showed in the pics. I kept to the right lane, and did about 70km/h. (~45mph), and it was fine. No hydroplaning. Is it sketchy and non-ideal, yes lol.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
This ^ OP.
The outer channel isn't as deep as the other circumferential channels.
I'd add that you can drive in the rain, but must go slow, really have discipline with your right foot, and use the rain drive mode, which dumbs down the throttle response.

I drove in heavy rain on the highway a few weeks ago, got caught in it. I currently have less tread than what you showed in the pics. I kept to the right lane, and did about 70km/h. (~45mph), and it was fine. No hydroplaning. Is it sketchy and non-ideal, yes lol.
The smoother your tires are the higher the chance that it can hydroplane. I wouldnt suggest that even if he was light on the throttle. All it would take is a puddle and he could lose control!

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I would ask myself the following:

Do I spend money NOW on new tires?
or
Do I RISK doing track day and free way to possible get into an accident (by hydroplaning), in which Id have to pay MORE (higher rates, etc), crash my car have it depreciate, hit other car(s) ...

If the latter, Id always question IF ONLY I HAD CHANGED THE TIRES!!!! :angry:

What would be the fun of doing track day if you have to be careful?

Personally, Id change them...but hey.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The smoother your tires are the higher the chance that it can hydroplane. I wouldnt suggest that even if he was light on the throttle. All it would take is a puddle and he could lose control!
Haha, I agree, I could have worded it better -
I definitely do not recommend it either - with the remaining tread I have on my Cup 2s, I only take the car out when it's sunny and dry.
Was just trying to say that if you were caught out in the rain out of nowhere in an emergency like I was, it is possible to return home unscathed. Or, frankly, pull over safely until you're able to continue.

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
This tire was not designed to have "deep" thread depth like your everyday tire... even though the thread looks shallow there is still plenty of rubber left. The Firestone guy is probably unfamiliar with specialty tires and is going off of his knowledge of everyday passenger tires where they typically recommend changing them if thread depth starts approaching 4/32 - 3/32nds. These tires can have zero thread depth on the outer edge and still have plenty of life left. They are designed this way to give you more grip during cornering.

Those tires are perfectly fine for track use and are just fine for highway use given that he conditions are dry. I wouldn't drive in standing water with those though.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Those tires are fine for a track day. They look good and are wearing fine. A PP2 should never be driven in the wet ( I have, but very cautiously).

I got almost 12K off my first set of PSC2s.

And tell people who tell you "your tires are bald" that you purposely drive on bald tires to endanger others and that you don't believe in safe driving or safe sex.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
B87AC3AF-C043-4F5B-B590-07854EB3E027.jpeg
Those tires are fine, I’ve driven 8 track days this year on my Cup 2’s, I went through my 1st set of fronts in 3 days, the rears made it 5 days. The wear is more important and yours looks like they are wearing nicely. NO rain, but nice track days, do it!!

You want to see a tire that’s been pushed and still turned fast laps, well take a look at this.
Sponsored