Sponsored

Question About Traction Control

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Hello,

I wanted to ask a question about Traction control and hope it is not a stupid one. For instance, if you coming off a right turn and press the gas and the engine revs but you notice for a second or two the car don't speed up or even slow down, is this traction control kicking in. The reason I am asking is because I had this happen around 4 times in the past 3 weeks. I recently had an K&N CAI installed about a month ago, and before that was installed, I could only remember that happening once.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
That’s not traction control that’s something else..

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Advantrac would be responsible for keeping the the back wheels from sliding to the left on a hard right turn under acceleration. Car will apply brakes (happens so quickly you wouldn't even notice) and in my experience cuts power to the wheel(s). Usually this would happen when you accelerate too quickly while turning or coming out of a turn. If your back tires are not losing grip, causing them slide or kick out, then you have something else going on.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Advantrac would be responsible for keeping the the back wheels from sliding to the left on a hard right turn under acceleration. Car will apply brakes (happens so quickly you wouldn't even notice) and in my experience cuts power to the wheel(s). Usually this would happen when you accelerate too quickly while turning or coming out of a turn. If your back tires are not losing grip, causing them slide or kick out, then you have something else going on.
Ok, a few weeks ago I noticed I made a right turn, accelerated a bit and had to dodge a branch in the street and got back in my lane where there was some loose gravel on part of the street and it happened. However, last week making a right out of a Walmart parking lot, get on the gas a bit after the car is straight and it did it without me noticing tire spin or it kicking out.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, a few weeks ago I noticed I made a right turn, accelerated a bit and had to dodge a branch in the street and got back in my lane where there was some loose gravel on part of the street and it happened. However, last week making a right out of a Walmart parking lot, get on the gas a bit after the car is straight and it did it without me noticing tire spin or it kicking out.
Hard to say. Ford has documents about stability control if you search for them. I'd ask your tech on the next oil change. See what they say.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - Bad things happen in Walmart parking lots. That could explain everything... Bruce

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You CANNOT accelerate quickly from a full lock (or near full lock) hard launch even in a 4-cyl engine, let alone a V8. So yes, TC will absolutely kill the power so you don't end up looking at oncoming traffic :). And if you turn it off to do that, good luck :D. You have to take off mildly in those cases, and nail the throttle once relatively straight. So DO NOT jump in front of fast moving traffic without sufficient space. One way to minimize the steering angle is to invade a little bit the opposite lane (if possible) before the fast-moving street, and position the car straighter, so you can take off quicker (hope that made sense). The only problem with that is it's harder to see if you're clear or not. Oh, and also better have the engine warmed up if you need to nail the throttle soon after a cold start. Be safe.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I have noticed TC silently pulls power in these cars. It won't flash the light unless it's obvious that the wheels are spinning and you will hear it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
You CANNOT accelerate quickly from a full lock (or near full lock) hard launch even in a 4-cyl engine, let alone a V8. So yes, TC will absolutely kill the power so you don't end up looking at oncoming traffic :). And if you turn it off to do that, good luck :D. You have to take off mildly in those cases, and nail the throttle once relatively straight. So DO NOT jump in front of fast moving traffic without sufficient space. One way to minimize the steering angle is to invade a little bit the opposite lane (if possible) before the fast-moving street, and position the car straighter, so you can take off quicker (hope that made sense). The only problem with that is it's harder to see if you're clear or not. Oh, and also better have the engine warmed up if you need to nail the throttle soon after a cold start. Be safe.
Well, I didn't do nowhere near full throttle in any incidents it happened. It more like I will apply like 1/4 throttle in those cases, just trying to go from like 8 mph to 30mph or so.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I was reading there’s traction control and advanced trac. Not sure the difference, but typically I just turn off traction control when I want to play.

OP
OP

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
I was reading there’s traction control and advanced trac. Not sure the difference, but typically I just turn off traction control when I want to play.
So today, I was leaving my parents house, start it up and drive down a couple side streets to get to a main street. I get it straight for a few seconds and then start to accelerate, and the car did it again, like it bogged down like I was hitting the brakes for a 1 or 2, then it sped up. I was only increasing speed from 20 mph to around 45. I didn't see no traction light flash or stability light, I'm not sure it may have a light. I also asked the dealer about traction and stability control and I don't think they understand my situation with my car. They believe I am giving it heavy throttle off a turn or something and I am not. Anybody got any idea whats going on?