Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I want to cry from seeing that. Geez. But why the heck dismantle all the driver's side stuff too, if the upper dash is not coming out? I don't get it. But since it seems required, somebody needs to get fired for designing the HVAC system so freaking poorly. Can't imagine the rattles you'll have after that job is done. Ha ha. Hope I'm wrong though, but after just removing the passenger side trim to swap the gauges, I had to spend an hour to put it back like factory, properly aligned, and with no rattles. Every time you pull any of those panels, it never goes back like factory. They were never designed to be removed either. Frustrating.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I want to cry from seeing that. Geez. But why the heck dismantle all the driver's side stuff too, if the upper dash is not coming out?
I've seen other photos posted by members where the whole dash is out, so that photo above is not the final disassembly point.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Oh man. Ridiculous. Thank you for the clarification. Hope my 2019 doesn't crap out.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Oh man. Ridiculous. Thank you for the clarification. Hope my 2019 doesn't crap out.

My '16 had the evaporator replaced under warranty, the service guys did a stellar job putting it back together, solid as a rock, well, at least as good as from the factory :D

Anyway, I recall the service manager - and he could've been talking out of his ass - but he said it was a newer / redesigned part that was supposed to resolve this issue.

As the owner of a '19, who also lives 2 blocks from the ocean (salty / wet environments I heard accelerate the failure), I've got my fingers crossed.

Sponsored

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Damn man. I would have traded that thing in. Lol
Luckily I have a great mechanic that takes his time and is such an honest guy but I actually got a bit mad at my mechanic for sending me the pics. I rider didn’t need to see the work in progress. Lol.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Luckily I have a great mechanic that takes his time and is such an honest guy but I actually got a bit mad at my mechanic for sending me the pics. I rider didn’t need to see the work in progress. Lol.

Hahaha, that's like waking you up in a middle of an appendectomy to show you some iPhone pics ... "Hey, check it out, gross, right?" :crazy:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I want to cry from seeing that. Geez. But why the heck dismantle all the driver's side stuff too, if the upper dash is not coming out? I don't get it. But since it seems required, somebody needs to get fired for designing the HVAC system so freaking poorly. Can't imagine the rattles you'll have after that job is done. Ha ha. Hope I'm wrong though, but after just removing the passenger side trim to swap the gauges, I had to spend an hour to put it back like factory, properly aligned, and with no rattles. Every time you pull any of those panels, it never goes back like factory. They were never designed to be removed either. Frustrating.
Pretty much every modern car is like that now, where its a dash out job to do HVAC box work. This is because its easier and cheaper to assemble it that way. For items considered non maintenance, engineers couldn't care less about how hard it is to replace. Its all about how easy it is to put together on the assembly line.

This issue was costing Ford a fortune though. So 18 and up have a significantly revised unit.

Sponsored

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Recovering from psychological trauma related to AC evaporator and compressor failure.
063646A3-5957-450F-A1F9-B16CDCD1305F.jpeg
All these horror stories are making me change the way I use AC. In some situations where I would use AC I’m rolling the window down. I assume the failure rate correlates with the amount it’s used?
Also wondering if it “fails” can you get a temporary fix by recharging it. AC is only really required 2-3 months up here in the north, eh!

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Hahaha, that's like waking you up in a middle of an appendectomy to show you some iPhone pics ... "Hey, check it out, gross, right?" :crazy:
Appendectomies are 99% laproscopic now, there's hardly any blood at all.
The coolest thing I've personally seen is open heart surgery. To see the lungs move and the heart beating 12" away is awe inspiring! But, believe me, you don't wake up during that.
Generally, the bloodiest surgeries are hip replacements. Those are really messy.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Appendectomies are 99% laproscopic now, there's hardly any blood at all.
The coolest thing I've personally seen is open heart surgery. To see the lungs move and the heart beating 12" away is awe inspiring! But, believe me, you don't wake up during that.
Generally, the bloodiest surgeries are hip replacements. Those are really messy.
Well, you know, like, I was taking some comic license, and that was the first procedure that came to mind, so thanks for the clarification, and totally ruining my bit ...

:crackup:

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
All these horror stories are making me change the way I use AC. In some situations where I would use AC I’m rolling the window down. I assume the failure rate correlates with the amount it’s used?
Also wondering if it “fails” can you get a temporary fix by recharging it. AC is only really required 2-3 months up here in the north, eh!
There’s nothing you can do about it. It has nothing to do with the way you use your AC. It’s a defective or subpar part that failed. The evaporator was leaking so you can’t recharge it as a temp fix. If you try to fill it with refrigerant it will just leak right out. The only fix is a replacement. I was told that the replacement parts were “modified” By Ford to address the known common problem in this car although I have no idea whether they are any less prone to failure as the previous/original part. Just crossing my fingers to never get a repeat of this problem. My mechanic is giving me a one year warranty just like you would get if I went to a Ford dealer. I just don’t trust A Ford dealer servicing center to touch my car. Luckily I have not experienced any sounds creaks or rattles since I’ve gotten it back.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Pretty much every modern car is like that now, where its a dash out job to do HVAC box work. This is because its easier and cheaper to assemble it that way. For items considered non maintenance, engineers couldn't care less about how hard it is to replace. Its all about how easy it is to put together on the assembly line.

This issue was costing Ford a fortune though. So 18 and up have a significantly revised unit.
To add to this, it's definitely not a new or uncommon thing. Back in the mid to late '90s Jeep Grand Cherokees were notorious for this. Pretty glad to hear Ford improved it in '18.

Well, you know, like, I was taking some comic license, and that was the first procedure that came to mind, so thanks for the clarification, and totally ruining my bit ...

:crackup:
Oops, sorry.
Sponsored