Sponsored

2019 Mustang GT (Manual) auto rev matching

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
It's under vehicle settings to set to off or on.
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Three of my cars are manual. Two have Rev Match. I've never had a problem driving the one without Rev Match. I always downshift through the gears when coming to a stop.... Some people don't. On forums we tend to take analyze everything and usually many will come up with a fault of the thing that is being analyzed.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Good morning.

I recently purchased a 19’ Mustang GT manual transmisión. I love it in every way. There is one issue though, sometimes the auto rev matching will turn off without me knowing and I’ll have to manually heel toe to down shift. Which isn’t a problem until you have to down shift really quickly to avoid an accident and the car spins the rear wheels because you didn’t rev match.
Wait, if you take your foot off your gas pedal while braking, and downshifting without touching the gas pedal to rev match, how did they spin?

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Manually syncing speed and RPM, is second nature to the experienced . With that said no one hits the mark every time, not street or traffic driving. Dedicated driving such as a course, down shift points are predetermined and expected as you make your way around .
You don't have to hit the theoretically perfectly matching rev perfectly - there's a band maybe a hundred rpm either side of 'perfect' where you'll never know you didn't get it perfect. You don't need much lead time in advance of a downshift to prepare yourself for getting it right, though commonly driven routes and similar situations also represent such stretches of dedicated driving where your eyes-hands-feet coordination also goes on autopilot.

Perhaps too, with enough experience you can tell when your first rev-blip isn't going to get the job done smoothly, so you give it another kick and voila - in she goes.

Screw ups
, seems to me that can be manage quite easily. AKA being familiar with the hardware driven .
The screw-ups I'm talking about here are the kind where you drive the rev-match-capable car enough of the time to get used to not having to do any of the rev matching yourself. Then you step into a car without rev match and the muscle memory of having ARM kicks in . . . trust me, that right foot of yours can and will occasionally forget what it was supposed to do in that car. You'd only be fooling yourself if you think that couldn't/wouldn't happen.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Wait, if you take your foot off your gas pedal while braking, and downshifting without touching the gas pedal to rev match, how did it spin?
He didn't say the car spun, only that the rear tires did.

Read post #22 for possible explanations.

Norm

Sponsored

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
He didn't say the car spun, only that the rear tires did.

Read post #22 for possible explanations.

Norm
I know. Still it didn't make sense to me.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Three of my cars are manual. Two have Rev Match. I've never had a problem driving the one without Rev Match. I always downshift through the gears when coming to a stop.... Some people don't. On forums we tend to take analyze everything and usually many will come up with a fault of the thing that is being analyzed.
People are different, some being far more likely to get it right going from an ARM-equipped cat to a non-ARM car than others. Me, I can't picture myself not continuing to manually rev-match an ARM-equipped car, so it's easy for me to see the same sort of thing working the other way with an ARM attitude carried over to the non-ARM car.

I would guess that coming to a stop accounts for no more than half of the downshifts I make, and well under 10% of the downshifts when I'm driving in traffic that never quite stops. At a guess, I've probably made half a million manually rev-matched downshifts.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I know. Still it didn't make sense to me.
I think he either unintentionally rendered ARM ineffective on that particular downshift or had TC off and hit the rear tires with too much power in the lower gear for the available grip. Maybe both.

I know that in a different car if you manually do the rev match that the ARM does nothing on that particular downshift. It would surprise me if the Mustang's ARM was any different.

Norm

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I can't picture myself not continuing to manually rev-match an ARM-equipped car,
Yup, same. Every car I own does Rev-Match because I'm the damn rev-match mechanism. The computer can take a back seat and let the human drive (imperfectly). The guy who spun the rear tires probably just dropped the clutch because he got lazy. You can get away with such sloppiness if the rev-match has already happened. Learn to drive a stick properly - feather the clutch every single time and you don't shock the driveline nor tires.

I would guess that coming to a stop accounts for no more than half of the downshifts I make,
I don't chase down-shifts when I know I'm coming to a stop or close to it. I periodically select (but don't necessarily engage) the next suitable pull-away gear to match anticipated road speed. Say I'm in 4th on a city street, I don't select 3rd at all, I stay in 4th till crossing below 2000 RPM and then might select 2nd (and engage) if I think I'm going to time the light. or just just keep the clutch in for a few more seconds and select first in the last few feet of rolling to a (near) stop.

I don't even ride my motorcycles (sequential trans) with waaah, blip, waaah, blip, waaah, blip either.

Sponsored

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Lol ... sorry for the Silly question but WTF is rev match ? Is that something newer Mustangs have and or does mine have this ?

it’s a manual. Can’t you just shift it ?
When you downshift a manual, you need to blip the throttle to bring the engine rpms up to where they're going to be in the lower gear. Doing it correctly means a smooth downshift that's easier on the drive train and much more comfortable for passengers. For most manual tranny drivers, it's a matter of pride to be able to do it correctly. These days, the auto manufacturers have added programming to the car's electronics that allow the computer to blip the throttle when you downshift. It sees which gear you're downshifting too and brings the rpms up to the right spot regardless of whether you're dropping one gear, or two or three. It's much more precise and consistent that us mere humans can be and takes a load off the driver in unexpected situations. It also allows mediocre drivers to look much better than they are. You can go into the menu system on the car and turn this feature on or off as you wish. That it is turning itself off isn't right.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The Auto Rev-Match is under the Pony button. Maybe it's also under settings, but on the 2019 Bullitt I drove, it was under the Pony button, along with exhaust modes, etc. By the way, I tried ARM, and it's spot on... BUT it does it a hair later than I do, so next time will try to leave it engaged, and see if I basically override it with my earlier blipping, meaning I could leave it on as a back-up, and still do it myself. That'd be perfect :D.

Finally, the whole purpose of a manual is to go thru the gears IMO, so I always up and downshift thru EVERY gear, be it a car or motorcycle. It's also better to be in the right gear, in case you need to suddenly accelerate. I'm NEVER in neutral except at a traffic light (when car behind is stopped), and left foot is NEVER on the clutch except to shift. I also never ride the clutch; take off as quickly as possible without being abrupt, then I get on the throttle if needed. That way, my clutches never have to be replaced, as I wear them minimally.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I should clarify...I consider the Pony button as an extension to settings......as that is what it does. You are correct, it is under the Pony button. I'm like you, I shift down through the gears and once stopped at a red light, go to neutral....back into first gear when I see the traffic light turn orange for the cross traffic, or when when green turn arrow turns orange, if it is synced to do so.

Toymonkeyjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Every question is a valid question.
When downshifting, we have to apply some revs to prevent the tires from spinning and the car lurching forward. This action is what I call “rev matching” I grew up with that term and I don’t know if that’s the official term for it. The car sense what gear you are downshifting into and will apply the perfect rev so that you have a perfect and smooth downshift. It’s meant for cruising and stuff. Not really racing.

2019 models and up all come standard with rev matching. The other models you would have to see the inside your dash screen to see if it was added to your car as a feature. You can always buy the feature for like 300$. I have the feature already on the car so I just want to make use of it.
I'm in the market for an ecoboost and I'm wondering if the 19+ get down shift rev-match as well since they have the same transmission as the GT in manual. I think it's a cool feature but I haven't heard anyone talk about it or seen any videos where people have an new ecoboost manual and show the rev match feature.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Have you looked at the Ford owners manual, PDF, check the index ?
Sponsored