Sponsored

Why do people rev their engine?

Cheatham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, Iconic Silver, Perf.Pack. 6 spd
My interpretation since I started fooling with hotrods, could be a friend just cruising by and we would recognize the sounds of each others engines, someone unknown with a potentially hopped up car, someone with balls enough to really want to race, the jerks who thinks there cars the shit, and the ridiculous revs which at this day I prefer to say go and impress someone else who cares , it all has its own meaning kinda like when you recognize that ring on the phn and you know who it might be
Sponsored

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
I've done it before to a GT350 as a sign of props and mostly I wanted to hear that nasty voodoo motor with the FPC and exhaust.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Legit floor revving, a downshift or a blip/tap?I I've never redline revved passing someone but I have blipped the throttle as a nod. But sometimes you could also be assuming someone is revving at you and they actually aren't. Sometimes when I want to leave I'll hammer my car, I have no idea what exact model cars are going to pass by me or not. That could be construed as revving at them. Same as if I was downshifting to slow for a exit, turn off.

With that said,hey their are people who will full out rev but regardless I think it's all just a freindly, playful way of recognizing another person's car. Sometimes it's also a way to antagonize a person to get them to either run it or hear your car.

Regardless of what is even means does it really offend people?...

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
When I had my mini (lowered and about 300hp), I would drive next to people that annoyed me at high revs and then shift gears, allowing the atmospheric blow off valve to more times than not, make the driver I was passing jump out of their pants. I may have been the a-hole driver more times than I like to admit in that car. Now with the stang, I'm way more chill and just cruise. I wonder now how many people think I rev at them when it's just the auto rev match downshift lol.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
With that said, hey their are people who will full out rev but regardless I think it's all just a freindly, playful way of recognizing another person's car. Sometimes it's also a way to antagonize a person to get them to either run it or hear your car.

Regardless of what is even means does it really offend people?...
Most times in my experience it really was more about getting you to either run it or hear your car than anything. And there was no mistaking the intent.

The guys I knew back in the 1960's all pretty much knew what everybody else's car had and about what it was capable of, so it didn't happen all that often. But when it did happen - usually when both cars were first in line at a traffic light on one of the four-lanes - it was always a challenge to see what your car had, one way or the other.

Offensive is when it's too loud, needlessly persistent, or if there's an unpleasant sound about it (all subjective stuff, for sure). FWIW, I never wanted to have the car with the loudest exhaust in town, and never needed the straight line stats to enjoy my cars.

Norm

Sponsored

Muss Catt 19RR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium; 2018 F150, 2004 FXDL
`1
Imagine all these people who thought those other cars were just assholes and now they finally find out on the internet that it's just hello

That would be me. If we were lined up we went. Almost feel bad..... not.

`

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Usually I appreciate the revs, but one time I got my ear drums tested to their structural limits by a straight piped or otherwise completely molested ecoboost.Top 5 loudest noises I have ever heard in my life.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I thought it was mandatory to rev a manual :). Actually I only rev when preparing to take off from a stop.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Imagine all these people who thought those other cars were just assholes
None of us ever took it that way either.

I suppose you could say it was saying 'hi', but when it happened there was always an element of challenge about it. Friendly challenge, but challenge nonetheless.

Maybe if you'd rev'ed at a car some other kid drove and it turned out it was his father driving it instead, yeah that might have been what he thought.

Norm

Last edited:

Teej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 401A, PP2 & 2017 Mazda 6 6spd
I thought it was mandatory to rev a manual :). Actually I only rev when preparing to take off from a stop.
Why are you always preparing? Just go! (if you get this quote, excellent, if not, I'm just old)
Sponsored