Sponsored

2006 mustang gt wont go into gear while running.

BlackPony2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shadow black ecoboost
I know this is an s550 thread but I cant figure this out. I recently dropped a new 4.6l 3v engine into my 2006 mustang with a manual transmission and it starts up fine, but when I try to put it wont let me enter any gears while its running. when I try to start it in first with the clutch pushed in it tries to lurch forward. I've spent hours trying to vacuum the air out of the clutch line but that doesn't seem to be doing anything. Does anyone have any tips or ideas to this issue I have run in to?
Sponsored

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't have an answer, and maybe you checked, but just thought I'd post this here in case you weren't aware of it:

https://www.s197forum.com/

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Sounds like a bad clutch. Did you put a new one in when you put the engine in?

OP
OP
BlackPony2016

BlackPony2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shadow black ecoboost
Sounds like a bad clutch. Did you put a new one in when you put the engine in?
No, I used the clutch that I had that was still working when my old engine went out. I wouldn't see how the clutch could have gone bad without it being used but I guess I should buy a new clutch for it anyways just to be safe.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Have you started it in first gear and taken off? Get it moving and see if you can shift thru the gears with and with out using the clutch by matching rpm's. My last car had the same symptoms as your are explaining. Started with no warning out of the blue. I had to shut it off at each light and start the car in first gear and rev match my up shifts to get it home across town. Ended up being the clutch disk.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BlackPony2016

BlackPony2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shadow black ecoboost
Have you started it in first gear and taken off? Get it moving and see if you can shift thru the gears with and with out using the clutch by matching rpm's. My last car had the same symptoms as your are explaining. Started with no warning out of the blue. I had to shut it off at each light and start the car in first gear and rev match my up shifts to get it home across town. Ended up being the clutch disk.
I have tried starting it while in 1st gear but it tries to lurch forward and the engine has trouble turning over while doing so. It has no trouble starting in neutral though

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Start it in neutral and let the engine warm up. Then try starting it in first again. See what happens. By the way, why did you replace the engine in the first place?

OP
OP
BlackPony2016

BlackPony2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shadow black ecoboost
Start it in neutral and let the engine warm up. Then try starting it in first again. See what happens. By the way, why did you replace the engine in the first place?
Something let go in my old motor and tore the pistons/piston walls up. When I opened the old motor up there were metal shards sitting on top of my pistons, so I just bought a new crate engine.

Fetlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT MT
Many years ago I had a car that had the same symptom. It had been parked forever and the clutch had somehow adhered to the flywheel such that even though the throwout bearing would go out, the clutch would not let go. We jacked the front wheels off the ground (front wheel drive) and banged it in first and then reverse. The clutch plate broke free and then it was all good. Usually if the clutch is bad it will slip, not lock in gear. It could be a bad throwout bearing or something in the hydraulics too I guess.

You might jack the rear tires and give it a try.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
That's a good idea to try. Yes I know clutches usually start slipping but my last experience was much different. No slipping what so ever. Half way home from work one day I couldn't get it into gear. I figured something had failed other than the clutch so it went in for warranty work and I came out with an $1800 bill. Would have replaced it myself if I thought there was a chance that was the cause. I made them keep the old clutch so I could inspect it when work was completed because I thought they were full of crap but nope. Clutch disk looked bad...

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
When the car is running in neutral and you press the clutch pedal, is there any change in engine noise, RPM? Wonder if the slave cylinder is bad or if you’re have throwout bearing issues.

OP
OP
BlackPony2016

BlackPony2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shadow black ecoboost
When the car is running in neutral and you press the clutch pedal, is there any change in engine noise, RPM? Wonder if the slave cylinder is bad or if you’re have throwout bearing issues.
sorry for the late response, I just got off work. It doesn't seem to mess with RPM's when I depress the clutch, but when I try to put it in gear when its on the RPM's do drop a little bit.

Acehole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
various stages of crap

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You could try disconnecting the line to the throw out bearing and letting some brake fluid drip through it and then reconnect (gravity bleed). Probably try the vacuum thing again after doing that. I believe the procedure for bleeding the TOB also includes depressing the clutch multiple times while the vacuum is connected. I think the clutch movement helps to get the air bubbles out of the throw out bearing.