Sponsored

What is the life expectancy of OE struts?

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
How long are the OE struts expected to last and what are some signs that they are going?

I've just under 100k on a '16 GTPP.

This is my first vehicle with struts so I have little experience with what's normal, and what to feel/listen for to replace them. Lately my ride has changed a bit. I find the car tramlining on smooth roads, and occasionally pulling either left or right when I stop (might depend on the crown of the road, I haven't been able to tell).
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
100k is probably a tad past-due for performance life. 70-80k is typical.

I'd recommend replacing with the FP track or Bilstein B6. You'll enjoy the ride and handling more (both will improve).

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
While I agree with @BmacIL about you having waited too long to replace them, it's really dependent upon your driving conditions. I'm at 43k miles on a 2016 GT/PP, and I'm planning to replace mine in the next six months or so. The roads in Charleston generally suck, and have been rough on my suspension. I also have a tinny squeak up front that's been driving me nuts.

JR

OP
OP
TexasRebel

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
100k is probably a tad past-due for performance life. 70-80k is typical.

I'd recommend replacing with the FP track or Bilstein B6. You'll enjoy the ride and handling more (both will improve).
Thanks!
I ordered OE Motorcraft from Rockauto and they shipped fast. Do you recommend all new hardware or is it okay to reuse the original stuff with blue locker?

I'm also replacing belts, shocks, and spark plugs.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Shocks fade when they get old. They can outright fail but typically you see them loose their dampening capabilities somewhat gradually, and anywhere between 30k-60k miles. If you have 100k, they’re probably shot.

the symptoms you describe could also be an alignment thats gone south, and/or old balding tires. Its worth realigning the car every 1-2 years or 15-20k miles or so.

I just went from tires at the wear bars which tramlined badly to new tires which don’t do it at all. Same brand, model, and size.

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Good test to see if your struts are gone is push down on each corner of the car a few times. If its bouncy and not stiff they are toast.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Got them replaced this weekend. Reused the old hardware with blue Loctite. Got it aligned this morning.

Car rides like new again. The difference is incredible.
That's awesome, glad you took the effort to refresh your shocks. It really does make a big difference on a car with that many miles. My last car was a BMW w/ 100k miles, and after new control arms (to replace the bearings) and new shocks it rode like a new car.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
My front strut was leaking at 10k miles. Gonna replace all of them with the FP Track struts/shocks in the spring.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My front strut was leaking at 10k miles. Gonna replace all of them with the FP Track struts/shocks in the spring.
What was the symptom that led you to determine it was leaking?

JR

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing really. I was just looking them over and noticed it.
So what led you to believe that they were leaking? Did you see something like staining on the them, or oil from the seals?

JR
Sponsored