TPMS issue

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
So, after I put on the new wheels and tires, the TPMS worked for about 20 minutes, then quit. For the last month or so, every time I start the car, I get the TPMS fault error. I got in this morning and, no error! For about 20 minutes, then the error message again.

Any idea why it keeps kicking off?
Sponsored

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
So, after I put on the new wheels and tires, the TPMS worked for about 20 minutes, then quit. For the last month or so, every time I start the car, I get the TPMS fault error. I got in this morning and, no error! For about 20 minutes, then the error message again.

Any idea why it keeps kicking off?
I just got tires put on and my left front tire tire shows 1 psi... any thoughts?

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
I think I figured my issue out. I believe that the car is picking up the sensors in the factory wheels while it's parked in the garage. The wheels are stored directly in front of where I park. Once I get away from the house, I get the fault error. The only issue is how far away I get. It's usually about 20 miles or so before the warning light pops up.

If I have time I'm going to run back to the shop and have them use the learning tool and see if that helps.

Is there any way to "turn off" the old sensors?

As far as 1 psi, I have no idea. Sorry.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I think I figured my issue out. I believe that the car is picking up the sensors in the factory wheels while it's parked in the garage. The wheels are stored directly in front of where I park. Once I get away from the house, I get the fault error. The only issue is how far away I get. It's usually about 20 miles or so before the warning light pops up.

If I have time I'm going to run back to the shop and have them use the learning tool and see if that helps.

Is there any way to "turn off" the old sensors?

As far as 1 psi, I have no idea. Sorry.
That's exactly what happens - I have seen it many times putting wheels on with no sensors on. No way to turn off sensors in factory wheels - car will pick up new ones once it learns them.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Go to Discount Tire or any other place that installs tires. Have them to program the new sensors to your car. Takes 5 minutes. I had a new wheel//tire combo that I installed myself after buying the car. Drove it for a few days and then the TPMS light came on. I took it to Discount Tire, and they programmed the new TPMS to my car and no problem since then.

Sponsored

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Go to Discount Tire or any other place that installs tires. Have them to program the new sensors to your car. Takes 5 minutes. I had a new wheel//tire combo that I installed myself after buying the car. Drove it for a few days and then the TPMS light came on. I took it to Discount Tire, and they programmed the new TPMS to my car and no problem since then.
Apparently shitty pep boys doesnt have that tool

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Apparently shitty pep boys doesnt have that tool
Noted. The shop I use has an Autocross pre-season tech event coming up. I'll just head there and have them do it that day.
Sponsored