Remy_reign

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
REMY
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT Base
Hey everyone,

So I just bought my first tune, (flex tune from lund) for my 2015 gt. Only other experience I had was with the x3 on a 13 mustang v6 from steeda I believe years ago, sorry. That package I ended up going with was the tune and intake from JLT. With it being an open cai and doing some research I'm a bit nervous out the intake slowing the vehicle down in my daily street driving. Has anyone tried to fab a lid? Or had any other type of tips that could help keep iats low while at a light? I'm pretty handy so I'm sure fabing one wouldn't be hard but is this effective or am I at a loss here.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Meanbgreen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium, 1978 f150 ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Was thinking this myself. Whether or not to put a lid on my open intake, since stock box has long been gone

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone tried to fab a lid?
Yeah I did. Result was stock like IAT's on the highway. In town however because the box is so large and thin, it's placed super close to the engine, exhaust, and radiator it just turns into one gigantic heat soak. And IAT went sky high. You will slow down on the street, that's for sure. Even at the quarter mile between waiting in line, burnout, staging, IAT started to come down right after the 1320. Kinda pointless, plus I went quicker with the stock air box. Now with the stock air box I took out the charcoal filter, smoothed the air tune entry, and bought a K&N drop in. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Remy_reign

Remy_reign

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
REMY
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I did. Result was stock like IAT's on the highway. In town however because the box is so large and thin, it's placed super close to the engine, exhaust, and radiator it just turns into one gigantic heat soak. And IAT went sky high. You will slow down on the street, that's for sure. Even at the quarter mile between waiting in line, burnout, staging, IAT started to come down right after the 1320. Kinda pointless, plus I went quicker with the stock air box. Now with the stock air box I took out the charcoal filter, smoothed the air tune entry, and bought a K&N drop in. Hope this helps.
Ouch, so I just wasted money on this intake, you tried thermo wrapping the box

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Ouch, so I just wasted money on this intake, you tried thermo wrapping the box
I wasted money too. I tried everything. Wraps, foil, etc. At the end of the day it wasn't worth it. Let alone when you have to take it apart to say check the filter. Alejandro Flores did a video. He actually lost 30HP using the JLT under 'real conditions'. Not hood open with a dyno fan conditions.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Remy_reign

Remy_reign

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
REMY
Vehicle(s)
I wasted money too. I tried everything. Wraps, foil, etc. At the end of the day it wasn't worth it. Let alone when you have to take it apart to say check the filter. Alejandro Flores did a video. He actually lost 30HP using the JLT under 'real conditions'. Not hood open with a dyno fan conditions.
well that's depressing. So it's only good on the highway and as long as iats are lower than 120. Stop and go or above 120 I lose out huh?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
well that's depressing. So it's only good on the highway and as long as iats are lower than 120. Stop and go or above 120 I lose out huh?
Depends what ya wanna do/accomplish.
Bling/sound/tracking = win.

OP
OP
Remy_reign

Remy_reign

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
REMY
Vehicle(s)
Depends what ya wanna do/accomplish.
Bling/sound/tracking = win.
My day to day norm is a lil highway and city driving. Traffic here isn't really bad. Every once in a while I'll be stuck at a light for a min or two. Mostly always moving. Spirited driving here and there. Have a few long stretches of road. I dont hit it much but when I do it's always open road for a few miles. Or highway

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
My day to day norm is a lil highway and city driving. Traffic here isn't really bad. Every once in a while I'll be stuck at a light for a min or two. Mostly always moving. Spirited driving here and there. Have a few long stretches of road. I dont hit it much but when I do it's always open road for a few miles. Or highway
Well then, you be just fine with the JLT.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I have no issues with my jlt and I live in phoenix. If your stuck at long stop lights iats will go up but for a minute or 2 you'll be fine. Make sure you get the intake box for the jlt seated right. When I installed mine at first the top of box sat below the top of the engine cover. Iats went up fast. I played with it and got it set so the top edge sits up higher and makes a good seal with the hood and now it's fine. I just checked my oil last week and it has stayed in place nicely 20k miles later. I see 2-3° above ambient temp most the time. If it's really hot out here I might get up to 4-5° but that's it. If your drag racing iats will go up waiting in the staging lanes and hurt your times but I prefer a little street fun so it's perfect for me. I haven't experienced any more heat soak in the hot summers here than any other car I owned closed box or not. I usually dont beat the hell out of my car when it's over 100° anyway. Seems like a bad idea with air that hot. Rest of the year she scoots like a beast. And the extra rumble sounds great.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know how some of you guys get IAT's in the 150-160 range? With my JLT and ambient in the 90's I would have to sit idling for atleast 10-15 minutes to get that high, normally stop and go driving (like a traffic light) it may get up to 120 but as soon as you start moving it is back down to 100 or so.

Two tips - One open up the holes in the front grill on the intake side. Two, go to Lowes/Home Depot and get some of the foam that you would use to seal around a window. It is grey in color and about 2"x2" square. Cut a slit in the bottom side and put it along the top of the heat shield. Job takes literally 10 minutes and costs a few bucks. This will allow the heat shield to seal against the hood and it will keep the IAT's from creeping as fast.
Sponsored