Sponsored

If You Could Change One Thing About Your GT500?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
No doubt. And the nuance coming from you is "them". :)
Ha! I didn't mean it like that, but your play on words wouldn't be inaccurate. Its a shame. One of "them" has to go. It will be a shame letting go of a car that has been so good all around. Hell, Billy Johnson drove it and did things with that car that were amazing.

I took HR361 out for a spin yesterday (don't like to let them sit too long) and I really enjoyed the time in the car. Its going to be hard to hand over the keys for that one, but its on to bigger and better things (The new Shelby GT500CFTP).

Now to ease back into the point of this thread…..

What I don't like about the GT500 is the weight. I plan to put carbon ceramic brakes on all 4 corners, carbon fiber hood, carbon fiber lid, lithium battery, etc..... Hopefully I will bring it down to 3,8XX pounds. It won't be cheap, but considering one just sold for $180,000 and another is on sale for another $180,000 (yes, I know its SoCal), I don't mind sinking some $$ and time into something that will be what Ford (not Shelby) should have offered to begin with.

Anyway, time to get moving.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Classic Lover

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
1. So why did you come here out of the blue and start off with the demon crate thread like you did.

2. No it doesnt.

3. But this statement sort of does.

Admit it. You like to start threads for the sake of a reaction or a discussion that you really have no interest in. I'm not calling you a troll. But since your debut here with post #1, you seem to fit the above description. Your number 3 comment above is what brought me to reply to you. I was looking to move along and see if you were sincere and then you come along with this. Why not go over to the Chevy or Dodge forums and see how it goes for a while.
1 I didn’t start the demon crate thread, I responded to someone calling the demon a post shifter or something like that. I was pointing out that Dodge could not have sold it any other way and it’s unfair and wrong to call it not stock when it’s OEM numbers matching parts. That was my whole point, it blew up because you all piled on, not you so much you were quite respectful as I recall, anyway they wouldn’t let it go, I was more than happy to quit more than once as my comments will show, I finally did when nothing new could be said.

2 I don’t live in the Dodge or GM world that’s why I don’t spend as much time on the Dodge forums and no time on GM forums, I drive a Ford and so does all my close family, my Dad and brother own mustangs, I probably will too one day.

3 Yes I like to post threads that will cause reaction, that’s the whole point, I don’t want to post a thread that dies after 10 posts, I WILL AND HAVE NEVER POSTED A THREAD THAT I HAVE NO INTEREST IN!

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Ha! I didn't mean it like that, but your play on words wouldn't be inaccurate. Its a shame. One of "them" has to go. It will be a shame letting go of a car that has been so good all around. Hell, Billy Johnson drove it and did things with that car that were amazing.

I took HR361 out for a spin yesterday (don't like to let them sit too long) and I really enjoyed the time in the car. Its going to be hard to hand over the keys for that one, but its on to bigger and better things (The new Shelby GT500CFTP).

What I don't like about the GT500 is the weight. I plan to put carbon ceramic brakes on all 4 corners, carbon fiber hood, carbon fiber lid, lithium battery, etc..... Hopefully I will bring it down to 3,8XX pounds. It won't be cheap, but considering one just sold for $180,000 and another is on sale for another $180,000 (yes, I know its SoCal), I don't mind sinking some $$ and time into something that will be what Ford (not Shelby) should have offered to begin with.

ONE of them has to go... You just defined "1st World Problem," but many of us live vicariously (and enviously) through you :).

I think the weight reducing investment will be relatively minimal and worthwhile in the long run. The GT500 has more potential than what you get off the lot--IMHO--and you'll be able to easily tap into that residual potential without breaking the piggy bank.

On a final note, I refuse to let you deprive me of owning a "Shelby", even if a poor man's Flat Rock version :).

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
ONE of them has to go... You just defined "1st Word Problem," but many of us live vicariously (and enviously) through you :).

I think the weight reducing investment will be relatively minimal and worthwhile in the long run. The GT500 has more potential than what you get off the lot--IMHO--and you'll be able to easily tap into that residual potential without breaking the piggy bank.

On a final note, I refuse to let you deprive me of owning a "Shelby", even if a poor man's Flat Rock version :).
ONE of them has to go... You just defined "1st Word Problem," but many of us live vicariously (and enviously) through you :).

Weight reduction is not cheap. That's why the 500 weighs so much. Carbon brakes are probably going to run near 10K, the hood and lid after all the work that goes along with it will probably run 5K. And that's just the beginning.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Weight reduction is not cheap. That's why the 500 weighs so much. Carbon brakes are probably going to run near 10K, the hood and lid after all the work that goes along with it will probably run 5K. And that's just the beginning.
Point taken. Ironic that less costs more, but logical considering the engineering required.

Sponsored

Dunk812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Rapid Red

Tom I’m with you, I will lose some weight too, not as much as you I’m not going to do brakes or CF hood. But I will do my best to get her under 4

RecklessKelly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - L1105, 2016 F350 , 2015 Excursion Conversion
I just upgraded from a V1 to a Uniden R3 and like it much better, Kelly. It's not the latest model but it still gets the best reviews. Very capable, decent price. My V1 gets relegated to the '14 mainly because the mirror mounts are different.
Will have to give it a try. Probably used the V-1 for 25 years lol.........

OP
OP
Classic Lover

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
Whew thanks mods, good to know some law against stupid lives on. I of course reference the top 5 things on the gt500 thread. Wow that was crazy.

My new avatar sums up my day on here. See I have an Ida pic for every mood.

Last edited:

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Yea, I have a garage full of them. If they were crap, that wouldnt be the case.
I've never owned a mustang shelby, but I do know there has to be great reason it has such a cult following for so long. Not a fluke.

Sponsored

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10

And THAT would be a GT500R. Would be sick.

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
B74C9B18-8B91-44C7-85FF-E825AB941AD5.jpeg

Thanks buddy, I do love the car but it’s out of my price range, one day I hope to own a 13-14 gt500, but right now I have my sights on this TA 392 that color.

Thanks guys I really don’t have any agenda here. I own a Ford super duty with 375,000 miles on it. Ford has made some killer stuff, so has GM and Chrysler.
375,000 miles on it. You must never be home. LOL

AMBJR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ALLEN
Vehicle(s)
03 Mustang Cobra-20 GT500

Same here; Have you ordered the brakes yet? Are you going to paint the hood? Which battery are you going to get?

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
B74C9B18-8B91-44C7-85FF-E825AB941AD5.jpeg

Thanks buddy, I do love the car but it’s out of my price range, one day I hope to own a 13-14 gt500, but right now I have my sights on this TA 392 that color.

Thanks guys I really don’t have any agenda here. I own a Ford super duty with 375,000 miles on it. Ford has made some killer stuff, so has GM and Chrysler.
Love that color, CL.
Sponsored