Does anybody have a blower with a cobra jet intake manifold

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm still na, but have decided that I am going to go with boost. In kinda leaning towards a centri over a Whipple or Edelbrock. Seems to be more bang for the buck. And I do plan on spinning it to 8k rpms that's also why I'm leaning that direction. Anybody have any thoughts?
Sponsored

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Give it a go. A centrifugal will keep the Cobra Jet and you may just need to custom make the up pipe from the intercooler to the intake manifold to fit the Cobra Jet throttle bodies. Obviously, you will also need a custom tune - not a mail order one since your setup will be very unique.

A whipple, edelbrock, VMP, or any other positive displacement supercharger will replace your cobrajet anyway, as they do not use the upper intake manifold on any car given the way the package is designed to bolt up to the lower intake manifold. In that case, you could sell your cobra jet secondhand.

Centri's power increases gradually with RPM peaking at redline, so revving out to 8k+ is perfect for them, but a positive displacement blower will make power nearly off idle. A positive displacement blower can also make very good power all the way to redline but theoretically will start to die off in the final 1,000 RPM whilst the centri is peaking. All depends on what you want.

OP
OP

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yeah I knew the positive diaplacment means loosing the Cobra jet. I was worried on the vortec if the headunit would clear the Cobra jet with where it is placed. A little Fab work is no big deal, I have a tig welder and everything I need to make changes to the piping to fit the Cobra jet. I figure since the car has stage 3 cams and the Cobra jet and mono blade tb it should scream up top. I'd like to start out around 700 to 750 at the wheels, and grow from there, I get bored easily lol. I would imagine with my current mods that should be easily attainable.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
I would personally buy the Procharger if you are going to keep the Cobra Jet on there. It requires less "modification" than the Vortech or Paxton setup, and I think it was thought out better. The up pipe is also something that can obviously be custom created by an exhaust shop or anyone that does mandrel bending if the flexible pipe that comes with the kit simply won't work with your Cobrajet.

19_mike_hall_procharger-178.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
After some research I think I'm gonna deff go centri. Probably wind up with a f1 or ysi so I have room to grow. Should be interesting results due to the Cobra jet, mono blade tb and stage 3 cams.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Any dyno differences with the Stage 3 cams? Curious to see how those helped.

OP
OP

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Car has never seen a Dyno. Down low, it feels the same as before, at 5 k you can feel it pulling harder, and after 7500 it is flat out a different car. I run it up to 8100 to 8200 usually. It just keeps pulling harder through the rpm band. That's why I want to see 8k plus with a blowr, it should be an animal.

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Before moving forward I would speak to some tuners and make sure you can find someone who will do it. I'm not sure it's been done before so it may be difficult to find someone willing. It would suck to go through all the work of putting it together and not being able to get someone to tune it.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
a procharger is your best bet with the centri setup. the vortech / paxton hit the head unit with the throttle body

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
Do a CJ and an F1 and become a hero among peasants LOL!

Id love to see that setup!