Who names their car?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I don't name inanimate objects. I have had friends that named nearly everything, car, lawn mower, refrigerator, everything. I found it silly and quirky but it made them happy so fine. When they tried to name my stuff i drew the line. I don't think they ever understood...
In my "stable" right now I have a Mustang convertible that I refer to as either the Mustang, the pony or the convertible. An Edge that I call the SUV. A Harley Davidson Ultra Classic that's either the Harley or the bike. And my wife's Fusion that is simply the car.
Works for me.
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It depends. I name some cars, but not others. I don't try to find them suitable names; I only name them if they happen to have some feature that makes a nickname spring naturally to my mind.
For instance, I once had a Renault Clio that I nicknamed 'Froggie', because it looked like a frog.
Or a Ford Scorpio Mk2 that I nickamed 'Balenuța' (which means little whale) because it was huge and had a serene face, but had also lots of power. It looked like a fat, lazy whale, but was always ready to show you who was the boss if you made the mistake of underestimating it.
Then I had a Lada Niva that was nickamed 'Tractorașul' (which means little tractor), because it was unbelievably rough by modern standards and amazingly good off the road.
My other six cars had no nicknames.
My future Mustang already has a nickname - 'Căluțul', which means little horse. Actually, it doesn't necessarily mean little, it's just a diminutive, like Johnny for John, or Billy for William. I guess a more accurate translation would be 'Horsey', if that makes any sense. It does make sense in Romanian; I'm not sure about English.

Last edited:

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
My white vert is "Rumbles" thanks to my removing her resonator.

CVCAshmere

Sponsored

James1414d

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium convertible
I usually just take the cars color and add an "ie" to the end. My truck is "brownie" so I guess that makes the Mustang "whitie".

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I just call mine "Ford" because it's shorter than Mustang and I'm lazy.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Speaking of names, and how they sometimes suggest themselves, I've never been able to associate the Mustang with a pony, despite everybody else doing that. I can call it my horsey, or my little horse, but not my pony.
First, because a mustang is a full-size horse, not a pony.
Second, because its aggressive looks and massive power suggest a big and mean horse, the horse of a warrior, rather than a cute little girl's pony. If it were a horse, it would wear an armour, not a pink ribbon.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I don't but my wife named a red Ford we had Robert.
Sponsored