Sponsored

Ordering a 2020 GT - Should I buy auto or manual?

alpha_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.forgitec.com
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT | 2019 BMW X5 | 2022 BMW M4
Hey All!

I recently had my car repurchased by Ford for unrepairable issues and now I honestly just want opinions on what to get next.
I had an auto 2017 ecoboost, then bought the 2018 GT premium with the 10 speed and performance pack and now.. I am definitely getting another mustang but need opinions..

I live in Glendale, CA which is proven to be one of the most traffic and dangerous driver packed cities in Los Angeles which is why my previous two cars were both auto but now, I'm considering buy a manual and want to see what everyone thinks about it being daily driven in 70% traffic. My choice is either to order a 2020 GT Premium with every option and 10 speed or to order a 2020 GT Premium with every option and 6 speed manual.

I don't care what so ever about having the fastest times or about racing, I drive strictly to cruise and enjoy.. My question is, for those of you who've owned both, will I regret purchasing the 6 speed manual since I've owned a 10 speed?

All opinions are welcome and much appreciated!
Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
You’re going to regret going with the A10. Not because of anything but the itch you can’t scratch. As on paper the A10 far out preforms but traffic be danged :) go have some runs while you can and able. You won’t regret it, try something new.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Only you can answer that question. I occasionally miss having a stick, but I'll never own another MT-82 car.
+1 my 15’ GT was a MT-82 and the trans was a POS. Hope they are better now but I won’t take a chance on another one.

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
if your goal is to be the fastest fucker on the block, A10 no doubt.

If you want to 'drive' then the stick.

its really a personal preferance at this point.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
He’s talking about Glendale CA, not Baton Rouge. There is no ‘driving’ in SoCal rush hour (which lasts pretty much all day). A10 with everything is unbeatable in heavy traffic.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
He’s talking about Glendale CA, not Baton Rouge. There is no ‘driving’ in SoCal rush hour (which lasts pretty much all day). A10 with everything is unbeatable in heavy traffic.
yeah, but there are weekends out of town.

gregsdart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt a10 pp1 301 base
Often the choice between auto and stick goes with age to a degree, and to how much you are willing to put up with in heavy traffic. I wintered in southern Cal for seven years and i wouldn't go stick trans, but that is me. I had a 2006 5speed gt with a blower, and loved it. But my 2019 A10 is a beast! Go test an a10 car and drive it with the shifter in S (sport mode). You will love it! If you toggle it to drag mode it is crazy! 7500 rpm shifts and barks the hides on the 3/4 shift! I also HIGHLYrecommend active exhaust. When you shift to sport the mufflers are switched to a sport mode as well.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
See if a dealer will let you have an extended test drive in a manual...........and go find some heavy traffic for an hour or two.

Whilst I will never deny a manual is more fun....for me, that "fun" probably totals 5% of daily driving, if that. If it's a weekend toy, that'd be a tougher choice, but as a daily driver, A10 all the way for me.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
This has to be the most pointless question I'm afraid !

Those who love autos will say A10. Those that love manuals will say MT82 and you will be none the wiser.

You have to drive both and decide what works for you.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I guess everyone saw this in the original post, right?

I had an auto 2017 ecoboost, then bought the 2018 GT premium with the 10 speed and performance pack [...]
So they have some perspective on owning an A10 car.

OP, my first question, what's up with the '18 to '20 swap? You said your '18 was a PP car, are you upgrading other options? I ask because if this is an "I want a new experience" sort of purchase, then I'd say do something different and go with a manual this time. To be clear, the traffic you encounter will be a good bit better with an auto. I drove manuals for decades, including in/around traffic time in the ATL for a period, and while it does get to be second nature, it was still a chore.

Here's an option for you: stick with the A10, get a convertible. You know, if you're looking for something new, but want to stay with a Mustang. You can use it year round in your location, a fully optioned convertible is a __sweet__ ride, I've got a '19 GT convertible, every option (401A/PP/MR/AE/B&O/S&S), and it's a nice coupe-like experience with the top up, roomy, quiet, heats and cools nicely, and with the top down, well, nothing beats that experience. When you're dealing with the 70% driving time traffic, top up, stereo on, relax, poke along in the stop-n-go, when you're not, top down, AE set to Track, S+ mode - f***ing glorious :D

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'll never own another MT-82 car.
+1 my 15’ GT was a MT-82 and the trans was a POS. Hope they are better now but I won’t take a chance on another one.
These statements are a bit worrying to me, because I've ordered mine with a manual gearbox, and I'm really looking forward to the fun of driving a manual again, after almost nine years of owning automatics only. So I did some reading about the MT-82, and my understanding is that it used to suffer from two problems:

1. Difficult gear changes, especially from second to third. Apparently this can be solved by installing a short throw shifter (which, incidentally, seems to be highly recommended anyway, with or without the problem we're talking about).
2. Sticky clutch - apparently solved by replacing the original plastic clutch cable with a stainless steel one.

We don't know whether the 2020 version will suffer from these problems, and even if it does, they will be fairly easy to solve.
Am I missing anything? Are there any other major flaws that I should be worried about?
Sponsored