Exhaust sound deeps in gear?

Vstang2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Morning all , I have a 19 GT and noticed upon starting the car and letting it warm up that once I put the car in reverse to back out of the garage the exhaust tone deepens and becomes more aggressive. I tested to see if it was the act of the clutch but it appears to only do it once in gear and with no touching of the gas of letting out of the clutch. I don't have active exhaust and it doesn't bother me , just my mind trying to figure out what event takes place that would cause it......
Sponsored

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I have Active Exhaust so I haven't noticed but it probably has to do with high idle and retarded timing for the first few seconds after cold start??:wink:

I'll start mine and let it run in the "Normal" mode to see if it does what you say........doubt it's a problem though!! :)

OP
OP
Vstang2

Vstang2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I don't think it's a problem , just stumped on what happens. I start it and let it idle to 120 degrees , hit the clutch and just put it in reverse , upon placing it in gear I hear the exhaust tone deepens fairly dramaticly

OP
OP
Vstang2

Vstang2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Do you have "Rev Matching"??
Yes but I'm not increasing the idle speed or pressing the gas at all. Doesn't sound like anything rev matching , it's just like the exhaust deepens but it's quite noticeable

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Watch your tach and see if the RPM's change ever so slightly when you depress the clutch........I'll see what mine does today!!

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
2 completely different cars I know, but my old RS's RPMs used to change ever so slightly as soon as I pushed the clutch in when in natural, even when I haven't touched the shifter

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I don't think it's the load issue. The believe the car is tuned differently in reverse than forward. It sounds crazy, but I've noticed this on both manual and automatic cars. Not sure why.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Dipping the clutch on a manual can change the revs slightly due to altering what’s moving in the box (or not) and the fact that, in your case, the box will still be draggy with cold / thicker oil.

WD :like:

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I don't think it's the load issue. The believe the car is tuned differently in reverse than forward. It sounds crazy, but I've noticed this on both manual and automatic cars. Not sure why.
It’s not tuned differently, you’re just feeling the engine reverse rotation when you put the trans in reverse. It creates different harmonics.. the pistons normally go in a down/up rotation and in reverse they go to up/down.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
I just tried mine and nothing I could do would change the RPM or exhaust sound when depressing the clutch......cold or hot!!:wink:

I did find that the "Rev Matching" ONLY works when the clutch is depressed so turn it off for a minute and see what happens with it off??:idea:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not tuned differently, you’re just feeling the engine reverse rotation when you put the trans in reverse. It creates different harmonics.. the pistons normally go in a down/up rotation and in reverse they go to up/down.
You're trolling...right?
Sponsored