Sponsored

Boost + Road Course

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
So, I am thinking of adding a supercharger to my Mustang. See modifications in signature for what I currently have on the car.

My main concern is that it will overheat after a 20min session. For those who take their car to the road course, what cooling mods have you done?
Sponsored

392lightning

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
Give Rodney a call at Steeda in Pompano Beach FL. He would be able to answer and questions you have. Those guys road race every weekend. Most guys that road race run a centrifical blower.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I don't have personal experience with this, but I have 2 buddies that I regularly go to track days with...1 has a bone stock 2013 GT500 and the other has a Vortech 3V.

Both have no issues making it through a 15-20 minute session, but they do report that the engine is down on power by the end. Although with that kind of power, it probably won't really be an issues. We're all pretty even drivers, but I consistently wipe the floor with them as far as lap times, but that could also be the much better S550 chassis.

So what's the takeaway? Can it be done and survive? Sure...but IMO it's not the best option for serious track days. If you just want to have some fun sure, but if you want to set lap records and win theoretical trophies, there are better choices.

However to answer your question: with a dedicated oil cooler, larger radiator, open grill, vented hood and big dual/triple pass intercooler you will be find at the end of the session as far as engine temps are concerned. However you will be down on power with high IATs and you will be limited in how much boost you can run.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My TT sees regular track action at COTA. Probably 2 things you would need to do to keep temps under control would be limit boost to 7 or so psi and then make sure your radiator is boxed in.

I use the Mishimoto radiator, but most important is to make sure the radiator is completely sealed and no air can leak around the radiator.

I’ve got a few other mods to stay cool, but those 2 are probably most important.

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
My TT sees regular track action at COTA. Probably 2 things you would need to do to keep temps under control would be limit boost to 7 or so psi and then make sure your radiator is boxed in.

I use the Mishimoto radiator, but most important is to make sure the radiator is completely sealed and no air can leak around the radiator.

I’ve got a few other mods to stay cool, but those 2 are probably most important.
What Plimmer says about radiator is spot on. I stopped tracking my car earlier this summer do to overheating issues . As I got better and began pushing the car hard, i would barely make 15 minutes with the 15gt in cool weather. Biggest issue is the big ass intercooler sitting in front of the radiator. Coolant water mix would boil. I never had any issues with IATs. Running procharger with well placed air intake. I have new hood vents still in the box where the plan was to cut the hood and open the grills. Then add a Mishimoto oil cooler. Didnt get to it this summer, so car wont see track again until spring if not sold over the winter. 15gt did not do good with cooling, even without the blower.

Just stick some good tires on and take some cool down laps in between :)
Sponsored