OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
My advise is to burn through a set or three of tires before upgrading your wheels.

Hankook RS-4 is a good idea. Should last longer than others in that class.

camber plates are a must. Steedas work, not Maximum Motorsports (not enough adjustment)

drive for a while before throwing money at things. Except camber plates will help the tires last.
Thanks. My main focus is getting more track time. I figure I can upgrade in-between track days. As much as I'd like to be able to run the Pirellis, they weren't getting much traction, even for a beginner like me. It could be because it was like 45 degrees, so I'm guessing they should be a bit better in the spring. I almost wish I didn't do a track day, once you get hooked it's expensive. I'll need a 2nd job just to be able to track the car.

Dumb question, but I know nothing about camber plates and have never used them. Can I adjust the camber myself when I'm done on the track and set them back to my daily driver settings?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
On the diff, it'd be advisable when you do tune. @Bluemustang was able to install it without touching anything: no issues at all. It's worth it, though. The torsen behavior is >>> trak lock diff.

The R-S4 could be good on your current wheels. They'll be a lot more consistent and durable on track, in addition to faster.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the diff, it'd be advisable when you do tune. @Bluemustang was able to install it without touching anything: no issues at all. It's worth it, though. The torsen behavior is >>> trak lock diff.

The R-S4 could be good on your current wheels. They'll be a lot more consistent and durable on track, in addition to faster.
Was it installed on a 6R80 car without any adjustments?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. All of the people I've seen have issues have been trying to modify the as-built data and/or on a stock tune. I don't know if doing nothing but diff change on a stock car is OK.

I also did mine without any adjustments (though manual car).

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yes. Install and go. I was already on a Lund tune. Didn't even need to reflash it, no adjustment needed. It adjusts on its own.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. Install and go. I was already on a Lund tune. Didn't even need to reflash it, no adjustment needed. It adjusts on its own.
Do you think you were OK because of the aftermarket tune? Or do you think if you installed it on a stock tune it would have still adjusted itself?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think you were OK because of the aftermarket tune? Or do you think if you installed it on a stock tune it would have still adjusted itself?
IIRC the pcm uses the rear wheel speeds for everything, and as such, believe it can be installed on a stock tune. I don't know for sure.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I am told the speed is determined off of the OSS of the trans and therefore no adjustment is necessary with a gear swap. In terms of the Torsen, the car won't know any difference. The diff just does its mechanical thing.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IIRC the pcm uses the rear wheel speeds for everything, and as such, believe it can be installed on a stock tune. I don't know for sure.
That's been my main concern about getting the 3:55 diff, which I wanted to do for awhile. It seems the Torsen 3:55 are impossible to find so I might have to settle for a standard 3:55 if/when I do the upgrade.

Do any of you that run an 11" square setup have pictures of the front of the car with the spacers? I'm curious how much they stick out from the fender. I would assume about 1", at least on the SVE wheels?

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am told the speed is determined off of the OSS of the trans and therefore no adjustment is necessary with a gear swap. In terms of the Torsen, the car won't know any difference. The diff just does its mechanical thing.
That's good to know. Maybe I'll just try installing one and see if it adjust itself. I can get a new 3:55 diff for like $850, as much as I'd like the Torsen it would probably be $1400+, even if I could find a new one.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
That's good to know. Maybe I'll just try installing one and see if it adjust itself. I can get a new 3:55 diff for like $850, as much as I'd like the Torsen it would probably be $1400+, even if I could find a new one.
I found a low miles one for $500. Actually @BmacIL found it. Look on Ebay. The guy I got mine from- not sure he quite knew what he had.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found a low miles one for $500. Actually @BmacIL found it. Look on Ebay. The guy I got mine from- not sure he quite knew what he had.
Nice. thanks. It's good to know that other people track the 6R80. I was worried that I would be at a major disadvantage on a road course.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Nice. thanks. It's good to know that other people track the 6R80. I was worried that I would be at a major disadvantage on a road course.
Yeah I wouldn't see a disadvantage. Of course at some point cooling could potentially be an issue. But I mean the trans doesn't hold me back. Its driver skill and tires and camber basically.

I also thought the 3.55s might be too short given the gearing of the trans, but it's not. I bet I could even run 3.73s and still hook up, especially with the Torsen. But I see no need. 3.55s are a good balance.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I wouldn't see a disadvantage. Of course at some point cooling could potentially be an issue. But I mean the trans doesn't hold me back. Its driver skill and tires and camber basically.

I also thought the 3.55s might be too short given the gearing of the trans, but it's not. I bet I could even run 3.73s and still hook up, especially with the Torsen. But I see no need. 3.55s are a good balance.
I've thought about the 3:73 Torsen since they're easier to find for sale, but I feel like the 3:55 should be better since I use the car as my daily driver.

I was wondering how the 6R80 would handle the heat. I know they have a cooler but for a more experienced track person they might need something more to keep the temps down.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
1. Camber plates, -2.5 deg or more
2. 19x11s with 200tw tire like a Hankook R-S4
I'm not doing Hankook again the track durability on this is questionable at best though I used the Venatus S1 Evo 3 since we don't have R-S4 in Europe. But the tire was busted in like 40 laps or so.
Sponsored