Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
I have decided that I want to get a bit more serious about health. I am 36 and I feel it will only get harder the older I get.

Any health / workout nuts on here that want to give other some pointers. I have a gym in my basement that my wife uses everyday.

Maybe even share some good recipes and workout plans?
Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Well, I've been called nuts, so here goes. Are you trying to get Cut, and look all super buff, then i can't help ya. But, if you're just trying to drop a few lbs, start walking. It's by far the simplest thing to do. The pounds won't fly off, but you will lose weight. It has worked for me in the past. Start walking. Longer and longer walks everyday. Then start in on some body weight exercises. Planks work great. I used to do sit-ups/crunches on a big balance ball my wife had also. Now having said all that, I need to get my fat ass back in shape. If I stay away from the sweets and booze, and follow the above, I'll drop 40 lbs in about a year. But I gotta get started.

OP
OP
Vettel-ish

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I've been called nuts, so here goes. Are you trying to get Cut, and look all super buff, then i can't help ya. But, if you're just trying to drop a few lbs, start walking. It's by far the simplest thing to do. The pounds won't fly off, but you will lose weight. It has worked for me in the past. Start walking. Longer and longer walks everyday. Then start in on some body weight exercises. Planks work great. I used to do sit-ups/crunches on a big balance ball my wife had also. Now having said all that, I need to get my fat ass back in shape. If I stay away from the sweets and booze, and follow the above, I'll drop 40 lbs in about a year. But I gotta get started.

Thank you for the reply. I have an office job and need to find way to get out on lunch and walk the grounds. And yeah I am looking to lose weight and just be healthier.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Keto.
Seriously. Start with what you put in your body. I started Keto 5-6 years ago. I dropped 50lbs in a maybe 6 months. It's still gone. I don't starve myself, I sleep less but have more energy. I couldn't tell you the last time I got sick. It's not hard, it does NOT have to be expensive, and just about anything can be made keto friendly with readily available ingredients.

Hell, my wife makes Keto friendly biscuits and gravy. Not to mention all kinds of keto friendly desserts.

The only thing I'd warn you about - is the keto 'flu' everyone talks about. 9 times out of 10 it's not enough electrolytes. Drink water and add a bit of table salt to it. I use the no calorie drop ins and add a bit of salt. That's it. Most people are almost always on the verge of dehydration regardless.

OP
OP
Vettel-ish

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Keto.
Seriously. Start with what you put in your body. I started Keto 5-6 years ago. I dropped 50lbs in a maybe 6 months. It's still gone. I don't starve myself, I sleep less but have more energy. I couldn't tell you the last time I got sick. It's not hard, it does NOT have to be expensive, and just about anything can be made keto friendly with readily available ingredients.

Hell, my wife makes Keto friendly biscuits and gravy. Not to mention all kinds of keto friendly desserts.

The only thing I'd warn you about - is the keto 'flu' everyone talks about. 9 times out of 10 it's not enough electrolytes. Drink water and add a bit of table salt to it. I use the no calorie drop ins and add a bit of salt. That's it. Most people are almost always on the verge of dehydration regardless.
My fav drink is Ice water so I should be good there. I have read a bunch about Keto. Sunday I will start with whole foods only.. then move to something more rigid.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Basics:

Weight training will help keep your muscles and skeletal structure in good health. Form is very important and compound exercises are the most effective. Don’t focus on how much you’re lifting to start. Form and repetition will go further furba beginner.

Cardio will increase your physical endurance and is the main area you will burn extra calories needed for weight loss.

To lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit. If you take in 2500 cal per day now, cut back to 2000. You can play with the ratio of how much less you take in vs how much more you work out. Everyone responds different and it’s harder for some people to lose weight than others, but there’s a science behind it. Your results will be based on your input.

Avoid sugars and empty carbs. Those are your enemies diet or no diet. Fat is not an evil and is less important than carbs and sugar intake. Especially unrefined fats such as meat, natural foods (think nuts, veggies, olive or coconut oils). Processed foods are the hardest to cut out but will do you the best health “favor”.

Drink water.. water.. water. Say bye to soda. Orange juice, fruit juices in general are typically loaded with sugar.

Litenin75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT/CS
I had the same realization about 8 yrs ago. Dropped 50 lbs doing P90X in the first 6 months, eating 1800 calories/day with a 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat ratio. Ive done several different workout regiments since and still eating around 2k cal per day, except Saturdays are free game. I've gained about 12lbs from my bottom weight, but its about 1/2 muscle and 1/2 beer. It worked for me and still is. The key is to find out what you want to do. You have a gym at home, so you could easily find some workouts on bodybuilding.com that will fit your needs. Remember that what you eat is more important than how many reps you do.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I am 36 and I feel it will only get harder the older I get.
You are right on, start sooner than later. I see quite a few folks try to play catchup from their 40s or even 50s, and that's exceedingly difficult. You need to hit those ages, already in decent shape, have a little, call it, fitness momentum.

I won't add too much more than has already been said about workouts, eating plans, etc., only that you want a good mix of workout (strength, cardio, HIIT), and if you mostly eat healthy (i.e., lean proteins, low/no processed carbs, healthy fats, etc.) but mostly importantly, eat in a way that can be sustained, the food will work itself out (if you need more of a jumpstart, think about a 21 day burn of no/low carbs, skip dairy, no booze, again, this is a temp thing, I wouldn't suggest trying to sustain something like that, especially at your age).

OP
OP
Vettel-ish

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You are right on, start sooner than later. I see quite a few folks try to play catchup from their 40s or even 50s, and that's exceedingly difficult. You need to hit those ages, already in decent shape, have a little, call it, fitness momentum.

I won't add too much more than has already been said about workouts, eating plans, etc., only that you want a good mix of workout (strength, cardio, HIIT), and if you mostly eat healthy (i.e., lean proteins, low/no processed carbs, healthy fats, etc.) but mostly importantly, eat in a way that can be sustained, the food will work itself out (if you need more of a jumpstart, think about a 21 day burn of no/low carbs, skip dairy, no booze, again, this is a temp thing, I wouldn't suggest trying to sustain something like that, especially at your age).
Well let me start with this.. I am huge into mountain biking. I have done almost 400 miles this year on my rocky mountain thunderbolt. I think overall I am very active. Do tons of yard work and stuff. I dont drink. Winter however is here in WI. So that cancels out the mountain biking. I would say I need help with portion control. Just because I can eat a whole pizza does not mean I should.

Thank you for all that have posted. I want to try and give some weekly updates if possible. Today I am 268lbs. I have a 6'2" frame. I think I can lose 30 pounds easy. I think I can lose 40 if I tried hard.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
At one time I was following Body for Life (Bill Phillips). It has suggestions for exercises and it includes diet as well. High level you can eat whatever you want and as much as you want 1 day a week. The rest of the week you follow the diet, which includes 6 smaller meals per day rather than 3 large meals. It's definitely a way that you can lose weight if you want to and if you follow it. I still try to eat a mid-morning snack to keep my blood sugar more level.

The exercise I liked as well. His philosophy is that your length of time exercising shouldn't get longer as you get in shape. He thinks use a shorter time and higher intensity. My only reservation about the exercise is that he wants you to go all out 100% effort for part of it. Either my 100% is different from other people's 100% or just in my opinion going 100% is a bad idea if you are over about 35 or so. I think you are bound to get hurt if you regularly push yourself that hard once you are past a certain age.

If I were really motivated to lose weight again I would probably pick some parts from his program but skip the 100% effort part of it - dial it down to about 90% or something. Listen to your body and don't push too hard.

Sponsored

Farisso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darissa
Vehicle(s)
mustang 6g
I work out three times a week in the gym. I don’t have a diet, I just don’t eat a lot of sweets and junk food.

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
No dairy
No gluten
No sugar
Now gone carnivore: beef, salt, water, one meal a day.
Working so far, losing the blubber.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
IBicycling!!! Best thing ever! Low impact and lots of fun! Gets you out of the house and fresh air into your lungs. Most trainers will tell you not to use a gym in your house but it does work for several people I know so it's worth a try, anything is better than nothing. Trainers mainly say it's easier to form the new habit of a gym routine when it's on the way home from work or a small drive from home. I totally fall into this category, stuff at home just collected dust. As gross as it sounds, there's something I like about going to a busted gym that smells of sweat, NOT B.O. but sweat. Gives me that Rocky feel and pumps me up. Also know that the gym is only 30% of it, diet is 70% of health/weight loss. I spent years killing myself in the gym and going home and ordering pizza for dinner and while I looked good, I wasn't healthy. I just got back into a healthier lifestyle after a 5 year break, I'm 39, 6'1 and was 295lbs. First month of just focusing on diet got me a loss of 16lbs. Now I'm slowly getting back into cycling and hitting the gym. I don't care what I end up losing month two and I think that's also part of it, don't stress the numbers. I'm about to go to Colorado for work and I plan to cycle up Pikes Peak. I did it in 2014 and will do it again this August. I have 6 months to train. This brings me to my final suggestion, sign yourself up for some sort of challenge that gives you a long term goal. I stopped soda/pop/coke all together because I'm training for something now. My mind is set on a task and my willpower is enhanced. Get that drive and or passion and run with it. Life will generally be more positive. Hope at least some of this helps lol

OP
OP
Vettel-ish

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No dairy
No gluten
No sugar
Now gone carnivore: beef, salt, water, one meal a day.
Working so far, losing the blubber.
No Dairy!!! Dude I live in Wisconsin :)

OP
OP
Vettel-ish

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
IBicycling!!! Best thing ever! Low impact and lots of fun! Gets you out of the house and fresh air into your lungs. Most trainers will tell you not to use a gym in your house but it does work for several people I know so it's worth a try, anything is better than nothing. Trainers mainly say it's easier to form the new habit of a gym routine when it's on the way home from work or a small drive from home. I totally fall into this category, stuff at home just collected dust. As gross as it sounds, there's something I like about going to a busted gym that smells of sweat, NOT B.O. but sweat. Gives me that Rocky feel and pumps me up. Also know that the gym is only 30% of it, diet is 70% of health/weight loss. I spent years killing myself in the gym and going home and ordering pizza for dinner and while I looked good, I wasn't healthy. I just got back into a healthier lifestyle after a 5 year break, I'm 39, 6'1 and was 295lbs. First month of just focusing on diet got me a loss of 16lbs. Now I'm slowly getting back into cycling and hitting the gym. I don't care what I end up losing month two and I think that's also part of it, don't stress the numbers. I'm about to go to Colorado for work and I plan to cycle up Pikes Peak. I did it in 2014 and will do it again this August. I have 6 months to train. This brings me to my final suggestion, sign yourself up for some sort of challenge that gives you a long term goal. I stopped soda/pop/coke all together because I'm training for something now. My mind is set on a task and my willpower is enhanced. Get that drive and or passion and run with it. Life will generally be more positive. Hope at least some of this helps lol
Always love a good challenge. Thats a good Idea. I have my first track day May 13th. Been working and using that as my goal.
Sponsored