The Complicated Calculus - Selling Your Car For The GT500

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
There was a guy on Rennlist that converted a 991.2 911 GT3RS to a six speed from a 911R....so swaps can be done. The mechanical parts are straightforward.....the ECU coding......not too easy. But he did it and got it all working right and did the interior parts too. It looked factory..then of course Porsche started to offer up the GT3 again with a manual, go figure eh....
Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
i'm just gonna kick back and wait for someone to put a GT500 engine in a 350 or 350R, or to swap the center stack to put a manual in the 500. People are already doing this with the Supra.
I'm not sure I understand why someone would though? With the MSRP of the 350R now being more than the GT500, and with many more GT500's being made than R's, why buy an R just to then put the 500 engine in? Unless you meant taking an older GT350/R and putting the GT500 engine in, but even then, why not just throw on a whipple or one of the Hellion twin turbo systems?

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Interesting write up, especially for those who like to ponder on such matters. :like:

But for me, the answer is a quick & simple no. The GT350 fits my needs perfectly, I don't need an R and don't need a 500. Just as I'm happy with my 911 Carrera S and don't need a GT3 or RS.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Agreed with 1mic. So he put a powertrain from a bespoke car into a worse chassis...? I mean it's not my money but..........yeah.
I would assume the engine was either not in a car or from a wrecked one. But they are not really much difference in the chassis. After you've already swapped the drive train, you're barely more than a Ford Performance Magneride perforamance package and a wheel/tire combo away from a 2018 350.

That said I don't know why you'd pull a perfectly good very low mileage drive train just to get 200-300 RPM over what a good ECU tune would. The transmission I understand.

Sponsored

Deleted member 37397

I can’t imagine selling my GT350 for a
GT500 and still owe $50k + on it. honestly too, the GT350 just looks better

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
After you've already swapped the drive train, you're barely more than a Ford Performance Magneride perforamance package and a wheel/tire combo away from a 2018 350.
Brakes, transmission, radiator support (yes it does actually make a difference), MagneRide damper tuning, steering rack strategy, auxiliary coolers, and aero as well. That GT350 front fascia means a great deal. The devil is in the TINIEST of details.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Brakes, transmission, radiator support (yes it does actually make a difference), MagneRide damper tuning, steering rack strategy, auxiliary coolers, and aero as well. That GT350 front fascia means a great deal. The devil is in the TINIEST of details.
+ the suspension uprights and radial mounted front calipers, the 2" lower hood line, none of the body panels from the A-pillar forward are even interchangeable between the two cars.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I definitely think the 350 is the more beautiful car. But the 500 we can't deny is absolutely the most menacing.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Ya, even if the 500 had a manual and I didn’t notice the 450lbs over my R as much as I think I will, there is no way I can rationalize paying basically double my R’s used price at 7k miles for a track pack 500 (and this is ignoring dealer markup!)

It’s like Porsche gt3 bs gt2. I get the gt2 is going to be faster around the track, but it’s not as rewarding an experience. My R is only slower than a very very small handful of cars I run with in hpde events, and anyone that is faster is expected to be so (race car, or way more power, ect) but I rather enjoy being the underdog to some extent and make a Z06 or gt3 in the advanced room eat my dust if they are not really driving well.

Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I definitely think the 350 is the more beautiful car. But the 500 we can't deny is absolutely the most menacing.
Agree, while very similar the 350 is prettier. In particular I really prefer the look of my R wing vs the thin afterthought looking mounts the gt500s wing has. Also don’t love the big hood vents. The gt500 front is certainly cool and menacing looking though, but I imagine that gloss black mid bumper will get very greasy in bug guts quickly.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Agree, while very similar the 350 is prettier. In particular I really prefer the look of my R wing vs the thin afterthought looking mounts the gt500s wing has. Also don’t love the big hood vents. The gt500 front is certainly cool and menacing looking though, but I imagine that gloss black mid bumper will get very greasy in bug guts quickly.
They aren't afterthoughts, the wing itself is actually adjustable and you can't make it adjustable with a fixed setup like the GT350R.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Meanwhile it matters so much the 350 and PP2 are both barely par with a 1le, so clearly doesn't matter a very large deal.

Also the FP package I mentioned has track magneride tuning. A rotor and pad change and an easily added diff cooler matters very little when you've already swapped in a voodoo. It's like nitpicking the small stuff.

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
My 350 is a weekender. I don't track it either. The extra 234 hp honestly would not be worth the extra 50-60k to me. Where are you going to realize the difference on public roads without getting locked up? The disconnected experience of paddle shifting (with a knob out of any garden variety Ford) does not appeal to me. I'm sure it's an awesome car but I don't see myself in one. I have toyed with swapping for other more expensive rides but I know the 350 would be missed. Adding another weekender doesn't work for me as I already have one other and not enough time for either.
As the manuals disappear mine seems to be aging like a fine wine. It makes it even sweeter to see a 5yr old car consistently beat out the M2's and Zupras of the world in the automotive press.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They aren't afterthoughts, the wing itself is actually adjustable and you can't make it adjustable with a fixed setup like the GT350R.
I know it isn’t, just don’t like the look. Back looks like a mustang GT with a aftermarket wing stapled on, at least to my eyes
D78F43DD-5FBE-4357-B1D5-FD585BDF2533.jpeg
View attachment 407877
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0