Sponsored

Is driving fun anymore?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I enjoy the hell out of my car on the street, but quite a few laws are broken while doing so. I keep advancetrac on so its not that insane or dangerous but I spin the tires alot while rolling 40 mph. I dont drive fast after merging on the highway but on an on ramp I get a solid 6 second pull up to like 120 pretty often. Just need to know some good safe places to do it and be aware of your surroundings aka... not do it infront of police, or make it a reasonable enough of a location that they may not mind.

Alot of mine is done near a dump with huge open sight lines where you can see if there are other cars or cops or pedestrians or animals within like a half mile.. and nothing to hit. The on-ramp I referred to earlier is seriously like 1/4 mile long on ramp and you can view traffic before going WOT, and its after a bridge that comes from another city so cops usually dont come over the bridge that often.

For top speed runs or roll racing we have a flat 5 mile bridge that you can see for miles down here in Florida, no animals could possibly jump out and you can see if there are cops or pedestrians on it from miles away.. it is heavily surveillance on weekends though even by helicopter or airplane since they know what people do there.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Actually the interest in getting a driver's license and an automobile in general is significantly on the decline.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/driving-the-kids-are-so-over-it-11555732810

I can see why. ALL new cars are far too expensive, traffic sucks, and you can buy a lot of Uber or Lyft rides for the $550/mo car payment most Americans have. Not to mention saving gas/insurance. People say us Millenials are not spending and need to stop being stingy. What they fail to realize is it's the stingy Baby Boomers that pay peanuts for wages that is behind it.

I definitely don't have as much fun as I used to in my car. I like the Mustang, but I too live in Texas and people down here are barely smart enough to remember to breathe in and out, much less drive like a sane person.
Interesting perspective in the article that people would get their first job and immediately go out and buy a car. I didn't buy a new car until I was mid 40s. It's fun but it is a big waste of money to own something brand new - drive it off the lot and lose thousands of dollars. I was busy saving for a house, paying off loans, etc. when I got my first job.

MrBill2016GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
All,
Please define for me what you mean by 'a pleasure to drive' or 'is it fun to drive'?

I live on Long Island and we have plenty of hours when the traffic is crazy but there are times when it is lighter.

To me there is more to a Mustang than just how fast it goes. When I pulled it off the dealer lot that first day I purchased it, I was immediately met by someone wanting to race. The car has 40 miles on it (I put 28 of those on a test drive). I did not race but we met again at the next stop light. He rolled down his window to chat about the car. I loved the complements he gave me on the car. I have a Ruby red PP2 and he loved the stance, wide tires and overall great looks of the car. I love the looks I get at the car and the complements about it. It is more than just a tool in which to go fast. I enjoy the theater and experience of owning one. My old TC used to get cut off daily and treated like a second class citizen. In the Mustang, people slow down and get behind me, they make way for the car, they drive up just to ride alongside.

I love that there is a Mustang and Shelby club where guys of similar likes can get together.

I love driving a manual, yes, even on Long Island. It is so much more engaging. Some days I try just to keep moving in traffic and others I play the fuel efficiency game. Other days I just try to have fluid and effortless shifts. This is all fun to me.

The car can really corner. I enjoy taking a corner at more than my personal limits and the thrill of knowing the car still has more to give.

I enjoy just washing and waxing it and keeping it clean. Working on a car is so much more fun when you love the car you drive.

As for why there are fewer cars, especially sporty car, I'l gamble these could come into play:
1. Most cars already accelerate such that 0-60 is over in less than 6 seconds, especially in the Mustang price point. Few can handle going faster.
2. With all the electronic assistance, many car are already at the limits most care to drive. Why buy a car whose handling exceeds your desires and capabilities.
3. Most are overweight or older or both and it is easier getting in and out of a big truck (Yes, SUVs are listed by DMV as light TRUCKS).
4. Few have discretionary spending for anything other than a daily driver.
5. Most tend to go to places to have fun and do activities and cargo space is needed to haul their stuff to get there. Most sports cars just do not accommodate carrying stuff.
6. Few find driving the destination and instead use their vehicle to get to their pastimes. For many here, driving is the pastime.

In the end, there is much more to me that is fun about the Mustang than just driving fast.
We were just back on LI in July to bury my Mom in Westbury, we have not been to the Island in 20+ years, wow things have become very very congested. It was very sad to see, growing up in the 60s and 70s LI was a paradise not so much anymore and its very sad to see. Glad you're enjoying your Mustang!!

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
What it really sounds like is you should have gotten a convertible. Even in traffic I'm having a good time enjoying the weather.
It’s the ONLY reason we have our Mustang. It is a V8 convertible, fits our price point and it was available at the moment of retirement weakness for something sporty. Not sure how long we will keep it but I am going to enjoy it while we have it. It’s our only ride.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes, driving is still very much fun. I can have fun driving anything that requires real attention and calculation to drive to the full extent of the vehicle.

That’s why I am happy off road in a 4x4 or on road in a pavement pounder. I’ve never owned a mundane vehicle and any vehicle I’ve owned has had at least 2-3 mods. For me, driving is an experience every single time.

My current GT just has exhaust.. because it’s that damn good otherwise.
Sponsored