Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
It was announced today that Mountune has developed an upgrade to the Ecoboost that produces 684 hp /566 ft-lb torque their beefed up RS performance block. It should be for sale soon.
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I saw this too. I want to know what was done to the engine and what block is being used.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
They also do one for the Ford Focus, part of the article below:

The one-minute clip shows the purpose-built EcoBoost producing an almost comical 684 horsepower as it revs its way to 7,200 rpm. Mountune says its engine is running on E30 fuel with major upgrades such as a new head and larger EFR 8374 turbocharger, but there’s no other info on the mods that make this type of power possible. It's worth noting that the horsepower numbers seen at the crank (direct from the engine) tend to vary wildly from the power delivery that actually happens at the wheels, so a dyno run with the engine in a car may look quite a bit different.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....the horsepower numbers seen at the crank (direct from the engine) tend to vary wildly from the power delivery that actually happens at the wheels, so a dyno run with the engine in a car may look quite a bit different.
Enigne dynos are the true measurement. Chassis dynos are what vary wildly.

The only power tests worth anything are engine dynos.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Comical is a good description for an RS or Eco Stang with that much power.

I rather have it in the RS platform.

Sponsored

Shewantsthe5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT, 2014 Black Jeep SRT
Honestly for the price if built ecoboost closed deck shorts blocks you can get built coyote blocks for the same price. I don't understand the 4cyl appeal anymore. Its great for a budget performance car but if your buying a built block your not really on a budget are you.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Honestly for the price if built ecoboost closed deck shorts blocks you can get built coyote blocks for the same price. I don't understand the 4cyl appeal anymore. Its great for a budget performance car but if your buying a built block your not really on a budget are you.
Why would you need a built Coyote block? The Coyote can handle that power figure consistently on stock motor. Buy the GT and put a blower and tune on it. That's it! Save the built Coyote block money for other mods.

It's impressive to make that much power on an I4, but hardly anyone has the mods that Mountune does. For the money they put into the ecoboost car, you could have a GT easily.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You need to checkout the Mountune site. There’s a whole world of hi-performance cars out there that do not revolve around a V8. It’s not about the money. A built Focus RS costs a pretty penny. Nothing “budget” about it. It’s about small lightweight cars with tons of power and handling finesse. As Mustang enthusiasts we have the option to go either way. Coyote, VooDoo, or HPP, we can have whatever level of performance we want.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion. That said almost every EB post goes immediately to a GT owner commenting on why the EB is inferior in some way. It tends to move the direction of the post away from its intended purpose.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
So I'm guessing this uses some kind of add on Port injection? I mean it's not like 600whp 4 cyl cars haven't been around for a long time.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
So I'm guessing this uses some kind of add on Port injection? I mean it's not like 600whp 4 cyl cars haven't been around for a long time.
Doesn’t seem like it. Also it’s only in the test stage. No word as to whether or not it will be made available for sale.

With 684 hp on tap, the four-banger has a whopping 334 hp more than the stock EcoBoost mill, prompting Mountune to say they have created what is possibly the most powerful four-cylinder direct-injection engine out there. Torque is also substantially up from the series 350 pound-feet (450 Newton-meters) to a mountain-moving 566 lb-ft (767 Nm).

The engine featured in this dyno test had a BorgWarner EFR 8374 turbocharger and Mountune’s own MRX cylinder head, but it remains to be seen whether it will become an actual upgrade package for owners of the Blue Oval’s all-paw hot hatch. There’s also the matter of reliability as people have expressed their concerns about AMG squeezing over 400 hp from only a small four-cylinder unit, questioning how long it would last. The same folks would likely have a thing or two to say about a future Mountune kit with almost twice the power of a standard Focus RS.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to have a RS pull up to me and gap me with 684hp. I love those little Focus's and the drivers are great. I talked to a RS owner this summer and he was giving up his car to get married and he looked like he was going to cry. They love their cars. 684 is going to equate to like 560 to the wheels. that's silly on that little car.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Doesn’t seem like it. Also it’s only in the test stage. No word as to whether or not it will be made available for sale.

With 684 hp on tap, the four-banger has a whopping 334 hp more than the stock EcoBoost mill, prompting Mountune to say they have created what is possibly the most powerful four-cylinder direct-injection engine out there. Torque is also substantially up from the series 350 pound-feet (450 Newton-meters) to a mountain-moving 566 lb-ft (767 Nm).

The engine featured in this dyno test had a BorgWarner EFR 8374 turbocharger and Mountune’s own MRX cylinder head, but it remains to be seen whether it will become an actual upgrade package for owners of the Blue Oval’s all-paw hot hatch. There’s also the matter of reliability as people have expressed their concerns about AMG squeezing over 400 hp from only a small four-cylinder unit, questioning how long it would last. The same folks would likely have a thing or two to say about a future Mountune kit with almost twice the power of a standard Focus RS.
Well they have to be doing something, the hpfp can't support that kind of power.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I would love to have a RS pull up to me and gap me with 684hp. I love those little Focus's and the drivers are great. I talked to a RS owner this summer and he was giving up his car to get married and he looked like he was going to cry. They love their cars. 684 is going to equate to like 560 to the wheels. that's silly on that little car.
Agreed......I remember the first time I drove a WRX STI back in 2004. 300hp and all wheel drive. That car was sick! Now imagine 500+ at the wheels. OMG.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
People build what they have and a great MANY people like building 4 cylinder performance.
Sponsored