Sponsored

Any reason to do cold air intake without tune?

Shawn 94 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Mustang GT PP1 A10
I have a '19 GT that I am looking to do my first mods to. I was looking at the Roush cold air intake, because I am not looking to do a tune at this time. I am not looking to do anything that jeopardizes my warranty. So the Roush says it does not require a tune. With that being said, is there any point in even doing a cold air intake without a tune? I've read here that the stock airbox flows really well, is sealed well against under hood heat, and is good at drawing outside air in. Would I gain anything by replacing it, or would I do just as well to get a good flowing drop in filter, and call it a day?

Thanks,
Shawn
Sponsored

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
Dont waste time and money on a "CAI", the 2018+ CAI flow very well. You can just change out the filter and call it a day. Lund has proven that you can go deep 11' with a stock intake.

OP
OP
Shawn 94 GT

Shawn 94 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Mustang GT PP1 A10
Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking. I noticed it actually pulls air through the left side of the grill. I imagine opening that area in the grill would probably have more affect that installing a aftermarket cold air intake. Any recommendation on a drop in filter? Oiled filters don’t usually filter all that well. I don’t have a whole lot of experience with the drop in filters.

Thanks,
Shawn

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Only difference you’ll notice is more noise from the intake. Sounds great but the overwhelming consensus is the stock intakes work really well.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Here's a link to a very good air filter. You can also dremel the grill to open it up for more flow.

https://www.aemintakes.com/ford/mustang-gt/5.0l-v8-gas/2018
This one has also been used by a number of our members;
https://afepower.com/afe-power-30-10255-magnum-flow-pro-5r-air-filter
I’m waiting for the TKO that is due out shortly. Will be more expensive than either of these but with superior flow.

By the way there are members that swear by the K&N oiled filter. I’m told if it is cleaned properly there are no MAF issues and that it works really well.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Just leave it. Not worth the expense. If you are worried about your warranty live with a stock car.

5had0w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP M6
Not unless you’re running boost with a heat exchanger. IAT’s climb up over 160 with open element. (I’ve seen 189 with mine) and after swapping back to the OE box I rarely ever see over 10 above ambient unless just sitting there. Which still peaked at 139 while doing a rev data-log, still a massive difference in IAT. Can’t say I noticed a difference in power going back to stock.

BrandonS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium A6
If anything, maybe get the Airaid elbow and a drop in filter. I jumped on the "cold air" bandwagon and have notice nothing but some noise and HOT IATs at slow speeds.

Sponsored

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Spoke to Lund about this today

Drop in filter if its a 2018+, they went 10.80 with just headers, filter, tune, sups mods, wheels, tires and E85