Sponsored

Crankshaft position sensor location

MaverickSVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Car is at the dealer they are having trouble with this sensor. Out of curiosity does anyone know where the crankshaft sensor is located at?
Sponsored

jbird60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
It's in a pretty inconvenient place, behind the AC compressor. With the compressor removed, it's pretty easy to access though.

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
The crankshaft position sensor is behind the passenger side head in the block and goes down and reads off of the tone wheel mounted behind the flex plate/flywheel. It is not at the front of the motor.

OP
OP

MaverickSVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
The crankshaft position sensor is behind the passenger side head in the block and goes down and reads off of the tone wheel mounted behind the flex plate/flywheel. It is not at the front of the motor.
That sounds like it, great I imagine if its damaged only way to remove it is to remove tranny and fly wheel?

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
That sounds like it, great I imagine if its damaged only way to remove it is to remove tranny and fly wheel?
I imagine it could be removed without pulling the trans but it will be tuff. It is bolted to the crankcase right by the transmission bell housing around the 1 o'clock position looking at the back of the engine and the sensor itself is at least 6" long. It might be able to be pulled from the top between the firewall and engine.

Sponsored

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't done it myself, but here's the manual instructions:
Capture.PNG

OP
OP

MaverickSVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Thanks for the great information guys, specially gtorpedo!

DWH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
First of all Thanks Grimace427 for your post on removing the battery box for access to the crankcase sensor. You were spot on my friend. I have a 2015 GT and needed to change the sensor. I could remove the old sensor but could not get the new one to seat properly. I read your post about the battery box and that gave me more than enough room to access the sensor. After removing the battery box and then the bolt in panel it was a 5 min job to change the sensor. Problem solved. I joined the forum just to thank you for the tip. Thanks also to all the guys that created this forum.
Later,

JRodSan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
First of all Thanks Grimace427 for your post on removing the battery box for access to the crankcase sensor. You were spot on my friend. I have a 2015 GT and needed to change the sensor. I could remove the old sensor but could not get the new one to seat properly. I read your post about the battery box and that gave me more than enough room to access the sensor. After removing the battery box and then the bolt in panel it was a 5 min job to change the sensor. Problem solved. I joined the forum just to thank you for the tip. Thanks also to all the guys that created this forum.
Later,

What code did you get to know that the sensor went bad?

Tornado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt pp - white
I logged into my dead account to say thank you. Removing battery box and panel on my 2016 made this job so easy, much better than Ford directions of removing intake manifold. From start to finish it took less than 2 hrs and most the time was spent drinking. This is the best thing that has come out of this forum as far as I'm concerned.

General notes, you'll need a long ass extension for the 8mm sensor bolt and a wobble socket helps to remove the panel that separated the battery box from the engine bay. You also do not need to separate the carpet from the panel.
Sponsored