Sponsored

Is the 10 speed really that much better than the 6 speed auto?

Shawn 94 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Mustang GT PP1 A10
So I've got the new car bug again. Seems to happen about every 24-36 months, and there have been quiet a few improvements on the 18 and up GTs. I currently have a '17 premium GT A6 with base suspension. Before that I had a '17 GT premium with the performance pack. I had a lot of MT-82 related problems with that car, so went A6 and have been pretty happy with it. I bought the car knowing that I wanted to add back all the performance pack stuff(or better) suspension, brakes and tires, and have added some of it back. Big things left to do are suspension and brakes, which would run me probably $3,500 installed since I would have to pay to have it done. For around $5,000 more I can have a brand new '19 GT 301A with all the performance pack goods that I want, plus better gears(mine are 3.15) better cooling, supposedly a "game changing" 10 speed automatic and what seems to be a good bit more power. Plus it will all come on the car, and I will not have to deal with any problems that arise from modifying my current car, or deal with the down time.

The only reason I would even consider this is if the 10r80 is really that much better. I've test driven two, and both feel pretty snappy, but with the salesman riding with me on a short test drive, you don't know what it's like to actually live with everyday. I also really like the performance pack, and miss it on my '17. I don't track or race the car, but it just feels a lot better on the winding roads around here, and I like the firm, pedal of the Brembos more. I also hear quiet a bit of rumblings about the Gen III Coyote. I've seen the videos and pretty much exhausted the threads on here about the ticks and 2k rattle and such. I'm not going to say that wouldn't concern me if I ended up with one that did that. My current car has some valve train/piston slap rattle around 2-2500 rpm, but only when it's sub 50 degrees outside and it goes away really quickly. It's done it since new, and the one's before it did it too. So with that being said is it worth it to switch to a '19 considering it's more money, and the potential to end up with a problem car whereas my '17 has been pretty solid?

Thanks,
Shawn
Sponsored

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Don't let the rattle/tick issue scare you away. I've beat the hell out of my 10 speed 18 for 40,000+ miles now and no issues. Its been tuned since 5000 miles on e85. No issues, no rattles, no weird noises. Its a louder motor with it now being direct injection, but nothing crazy.

I came from a mt-82 14 GT. The 10 speed is amazing.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I had a 15 GT with the MT82 and it was horrible. Got my 18 with the 10 speed auto and love it.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
The A10 is the real deal especially if you get the Modes with the toggle switches. The current Mustang A10 will out drag the current Shelby GT350 at the track as seen on YOUTUBE.

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
The A10 rocks. No worries.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Caution with test drives. Tranny has yet to learn your habits so it can be a touch notchy. I realized that on my first test drive. Almost 4k miles in it's up and downshifts are crisp and clean. Absolutely no comparison to the 6 speed in my 15 EB. Literally light years apart.

No one can tell you if your new 19 could have problems. All I can tell you is that mine is rock solid. So glad I did not let the internet scare me away from my Coyote.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Yes, the 10 speed is amazing.

My car hasn't skipped a beat in over a year and a half. Don't let the internet BS scare you away. The A10 + Gen 3 Coyote is a match made in heaven.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
As everyone has already said itā€™s that much better.

I have owned three coyotes 12,15,18. All with autos.

The 10 speed is in a league of its own. Downshifts, upshifts, shift speed, drag mode I just donā€™t have any complaints.

The 10 speed is the real deal. I havenā€™t found anything I donā€™t like about it yet.

And donā€™t worry about the ā€œproblemsā€. 2 full model years and ~60,000 gen 3 running around says they donā€™t have any pure engineering flaws. I think my engine has lived half its life above 4,500rpm so if it had a problem I would have found it. It is a noisy engine though.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It's __really__ good, and this coming from someone who has driven and preferred manuals for the last 20 or so years.

Everything about the MY18+/S550.2 is so good, the performance, new options [for the GT] like Magneride, everything seems a bit better put together, and I had zero concerns about getting a '19 (coming from a '16).

Sponsored

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I've had 2 Mustang GT's with the A6 and now own a PP A10 GT. everything that frustrated me about the A6 has been rectified in the A10. I find the transmission to be phenomenal.

OP
OP
Shawn 94 GT

Shawn 94 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Mustang GT PP1 A10
Thank you everyone for the quick responses. I really didnā€™t expect everyone to say itā€™s that much better. I come from an AOD era where automatic Mustangs were terrible. Iā€™ve definitely warmed up to these newer ones. And the ā€˜A6 in my ā€˜17 feels decent to me, so the A10 must be that much better. I will only get one with the drive modes. Thatā€™s the 301a package. It would have to a pretty basic one though to work in my budget. Iā€™m not looking for MagneRide, or active exhaust. Pretty much the 301a package and the performance pack. I will be giving up leather and the heated cooled seats, but this ā€˜18 and up package with the A10 seems to be that good. Keep the opinions coming, and thanks.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I had a '13 Roush Stage 3 with the M6, traded it in for the 2019 Roush Stage 3 with the A10.
No looking back now. Great transmission and great car. This isn't the same old automatic transmission of years back. Way better!

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
Thank you everyone for the quick responses. I really didnā€™t expect everyone to say itā€™s that much better. I come from an AOD era where automatic Mustangs were terrible. Iā€™ve definitely warmed up to these newer ones. And the ā€˜A6 in my ā€˜17 feels decent to me, so the A10 must be that much better. I will only get one with the drive modes. Thatā€™s the 301a package. It would have to a pretty basic one though to work in my budget. Iā€™m not looking for MagneRide, or active exhaust. Pretty much the 301a package and the performance pack. I will be giving up leather and the heated cooled seats, but this ā€˜18 and up package with the A10 seems to be that good. Keep the opinions coming, and thanks.
I owned two 6r80 Coyote Premium Mustangs and now I have a 301a 10r80 and it's a whole different animal, as stated above you have to let the transmission go through it's learning process. The cloth seats are really nice and they sit lower due to not having heat and a/c. I was never an s550 fan but I wanted the 10 speed and I love it.
Sponsored