17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
About 7.5 today, no problems.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Has anyone tested how many miles they have traveled when the computer says "0 miles to empty?"
Seen a few youtube videos on other cars where they went quite far... Anyone?
No reason to do a Kramer. Just fill up when it gives you a MTE warning, and use the MPG and how much it took to fill up to determine how many gallons were left in the tank,and what the range would be when the tank would be empty.

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone tested how many miles they have traveled when the computer says "0 miles to empty?"
Seen a few youtube videos on other cars where they went quite far... Anyone?
Personally, I don't chance this after having to drop a gas tank on another vehicle to change a fuel pump.

When it gets to a 1/4 tank, I fill it up.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I don't chance this after having to drop a gas tank on another vehicle to change a fuel pump.

When it gets to a 1/4 tank, I fill it up.

Exactly, this! With the cost of vehicles today why risk it?

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
You guys running your fuel low are just killing your in-tank fuel pumps. They use fuel to keep cool and by running it low you're going to have premature wear on your pump.

I will never understand the mentality behind running a car down to the fumes. The "I just wanted to see my limit" mentality makes no sense. That's like someone telling you "Hey, that burner is hot" but you grab it anyway just to make sure.

Sponsored

Fetlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT MT
You guys running your fuel low are just killing your in-tank fuel pumps. They use fuel to keep cool and by running it low you're going to have premature wear on your pump.

I will never understand the mentality behind running a car down to the fumes. The "I just wanted to see my limit" mentality makes no sense. That's like someone telling you "Hey, that burner is hot" but you grab it anyway just to make sure.
I think it depends on if you daily drive. For me, I'm already hitting the gas station about once every 10 days. If I only go to quarter tank, my visits go up 25%, call it 9 or 10 extra trips at 15 minutes each, so about an extra two hours per year. A fuel pump looks like a few hours to put in, maybe 200-300 for the replacement. I think the issue might be overstated too, I've driven probably 800k miles and have never had a fuel pump go south on me; the only issue I've had is with the filters.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Not sure if it applies with Ford but Lotus on the Evora say not to drive the car hard when the low fuel warning is displaying. That gallon may be the safe minimum for fuel pickup and going beyond could risk issues. It isn't so much running dry but running lean when pickup is failing.

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
I don't like going by those " xx mile till empty. How does it know you have 50 miles left?? depending on how car gets driven that could mean 2 gallons left at 25 mpg or 3.33 at 15 mpg.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
yeah people depending on the computer when its widely known those things are off sometimes by a lot. Like in my thread(and sorry for my thread as well didn't know this had been brought up so much). I drove 2 miles past zero empty and filled up with 15.8 on a 16 gallon tank. I figured 5 maybe 6 miles after zero left? Where do people get they have a gallon plus left? or they guessing from computer?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Here's the blurb out of the 2015 owner's manual ... probably says something similar in 2016-2019 manuals.

S550 Mustang DTE Info.JPG

Also, I looked in my mileage tracking notes and found these (in blue below). Looks like when the low fuel warning first comes on (in my GT at least) there is 1 gallon of fuel left. Then the MTE should count down to 0 Miles and I'd expect the tank to be very near empty when DTE read 0 Miles.

Note that these showed that there was ~1.75 gal left in one instance and ~1.00 gal left in the other instance when the "Low Fuel" warning popped up on the dash. Shows that it's not super repeatable. Bottom line is when the "Low Fuel" warning comes on just go find a gas station ASAP.

The "Low Fuel" warning came on just as I pulled into the gas station. The MTE was showing 15 miles and MPG was showing 17.3. Fill-up took 14.244 gallons, which means there was 16.0 - 14.25 = 1.75 gallons left in the tank. That means when MTE = 0 miles, there should be about 0.88 gallon left in the tank.

The "Low Fuel" warning came on when it was showing 16 'Miles to Empty'. MPG was showing as 16.3, so this is a pretty accurate warning since there is supposed to be about 1 gallon left when the Low Fuel Warning first pops up. Fill-up took 15.005 gallons, so there was only 1.00 gallon left in the tank.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
GT Pony, here what my 2017 manual shows

Instrument Cluster

Fuel Gauge
Note: The fuel gauge may vary slightly

when your vehicle is moving or on a gradient.

Switch the ignition on. The fuel gauge will indicate approximately how much fuel is left in the fuel tank. The arrow adjacent to the fuel pump symbol indicates on which side of your vehicle the fuel filler door is located.

The needle should move toward F when you refuel your vehicle. If the needle points to E after adding fuel, this indicates your vehicle needs service soon.

After refueling some variability in needle position is normal:

Variations:

• It may take a short time for the needle to reach F after leaving the gas station. This is normal and depends upon the slope of pavement at the gas station.

• The fuel amount dispensed into the tank is a little less or more than the gauge indicated. This is normal and depends upon the slope of pavement at the gas station.

• If the gas station nozzle shuts off before the tank is full, try a different gas pump nozzle.

Low Fuel Reminder

A low fuel reminder triggers when the distance to empty value reaches 50 mi (80 km) to empty, with additional warnings at 25 mi (40 km), 10 mi (20 km) and 0 mi (0 km) to empty, provided the message is cleared each time. An additional warning at 75 mi (120 km) to empty is provided when the MyKey is being used.

Note: The low fuel warning and distance-to-empty warning can appear at different fuel gauge positions depending on fuel economy conditions. This variation is normal.

Driving type (fuel economy conditions)

Distance-to-empty

Fuel gauge position

Highway driving

50 mi (80 km)

1/8th tank

Severe duty driving (trailer towing, extended idle)

50 mi (80 km)

1/4 tank

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I'm having a fuel pump and fuel sensor replaced on my Fusion to the tune of over $500. It wasn't caused by running the tank empty but I sure woldn't be running my car to see how far it will go with 0 on the fuel tank.
Sponsored