Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L High Performance Package Priced at $4,995

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
They already have tuned supra's running 10's with Downpipe, Tune, wheels/tires, race fuel. Still ugly has homemade soup but still not sure that's the competition
OK, just for one teeny tiny second let's make beleive we are talking about 100% stock cars. Not yet, not yet, hear me out.........and remember no V8,
A fully loaded EB HPP Premium for $46k vs a bare bones Supra for $49,995. I know which way I'd go. Bet someone at Ford has looked at that too.
Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I think this is being a little overblown. People downplay the torque of the 5.0, but my car made 340 to the wheels at 3,000 rpm bone stock and 358 with just a res delete and H-pipe. The 2.3 isn't going to make this much torque at the wheels at any rpm without at least a tune.
How it compares with the GT isn't really the point. It's how much of an improvement in performance (and feel) versus the standard Ecoboost. That will get to whether it's worth the money. With closer to peak torque available over a much greater range of RPM, the 0-60 with the A10 may be faster than a lot people expect.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Personally, I think this is being a little overblown. People downplay the torque of the 5.0, but my car made 340 to the wheels at 3,000 rpm bone stock and 358 with just a res delete and H-pipe. The 2.3 isn't going to make this much torque at the wheels at any rpm without at least a tune.
Just for the sake of discussion, how much does a res delete and H-pipe cost? Divide that by the 18HP you added to your 5.0. Most untrained 'butt dynos' would not feel the difference. Again, not being critical, just devil's advocate.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Just for the sake of discussion, how much does a res delete and H-pipe cost? Divide that by the 18HP you added to your 5.0. Most untrained 'butt dynos' would not feel the difference. Again, not being critical, just devil's advocate.
$100, but I did it for the sound. That was torque, and under the curve, so no mid to upper rpm gains. My point was people complaining that the 5.0 feels gutless down low at 340 at 3K. Wasn't really comparing the 5.0 vs 2.3, but I don't think the 2.3 is going to be the torque monster that it's being praised to be in some of these posts. I'm not a hater of the Ecoboost. In fact I prefer the 3.5 in my F-150 over the 5.0. It has intake, downpipe, catback, and a tune. It makes north of 475 torque to the wheels and pulls our 8K lb TT like an angry mule. Now with some mods and a good tune w/ the A10, the 2.3 is going to hold its own, but the top side will be limited without some serious $$$. I'm just not one who thinks it's going to be $2,500 (or even $1,600) better than the existing 2.3. We shall soon see though as these get into the right people's hands.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I can tell people are just trolling now...

They either are forgetting what they said earlier, or never bothered to read this thread. I myself, along with several other people have already suggested why not just install the $750 Ford Performance Tune on the 2.3EB...? (Page #9)

So why are some pretending not to understand overboost features, or how it can achieve 4.5s, etc.

Also, there are people ranting on & on about inane things, without even reading the very first page. Not to mention, it seems not to many stock v8 drivers have played with a FocusRS or a tuned Mustang on the streets, let alone many BMW's. Utter insanity from some peeps.

Ford Performance would not be puting this out, and show a video of this car revving so high, if it wasn't true. Going to have to wait until Friday, to read the preview of the HPP/HPO, but I think we can all agree that the Mustang HPP aims sqaurly at BMW's m240 series and will most likely outhandle the GT. So it is a win/win already.

This engine can easily have 355+ horsepower and nearly 400+ ft-lbs of thrust. Depending on whats been done to the block.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Performance would not be puting this out, and show a video of this car revving so high, if it wasn't true. Going to have to wait until Friday, to read the preview of the HPP/HPO, but I think we can all agree that the Mustang HPP aims sqaurly at BMW's m240 series and will most likely outhandle the GT. So it is a win/win already.

This engine can easily have 355+ horsepower and nearly 400+ ft-lbs of thrust. Depending on whats been done to the block.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27131311/2020-ford-mustang-2-3-liter-performance-package/

It sounds like the engine is capable of a lot more power. And 4-5 0-60 puts it in the 12’s.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Autoblog: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/20/2020-ford-mustang-hpp-first-drive/#slide-endcap

" Now, add that $1,995 Handling Package, and the real magic happens. (The package is exclusive to the coupe, but available with either transmission). A broad-ranging MagneRide adjustable suspension mates with a Torsen limited-slip differential, a shorter 3.55:1 rear axle and 0.9-inch solid rear sway bar. The pavement-sticking package then adds wider, Pirelli P Zero Corsa summer tires, in 265/40R size.

That bears emphasis: Supercar-worthy tires, on a four-cylinder Mustang! Ford claims the HPP-HP will generate more than 1 g of lateral acceleration, which would outdo even the Chevy Camaro’s excellent, track-storming 1LE editions. "

Mustang HP2 & a baby bronco in my driveway soonz..!

Honestly, we all know what the RS engine could do, and this HPP has more refined components. Ford is obviously holding the engine back and a simple tune will unlock GT-like performance.

This is an American M2, in the making. HPP being 200lbs lighter than the GT with 400ft-lbs of torque to the wheelz. Car is going to be a blast to drive. You just can't dial in the TQ curve you want with a NA v8.

Take the back seat out and some other stuff and spend $5k on moAr engine stuff & brakes, etc = Killer kar for the track & streets. Not so much at the hobby strip.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
spend $5k on moAr engine stuff & brakes, etc
The handling pack should be independent of HPP. And for the price of the HPP the Handling pack should already be included. Talk about taking 2 bites out of the customer's wallet!

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The handling pack should be independent of HPP. And for the price of the HPP the Handling pack should already be included. Talk about taking 2 bites out of the customer's wallet!
Not sure why you feel that, but Magneride is not cheap and worth every penny. If you don't need Grand Touring type performance, then why spend?

Have my $5k... easy spend.

A tweaked RS engine with even bigger turbo and better cooling? I was looking at a black Bullitt or PP2. I am now relieved that Ford Performance skunkworked a competent turbo package into the Mustang. I can now (safely) dial in the amount of torque I want for my driving style. Upgrades as needed, as I go along.

400hp/450tq is doable now! (I think I am going to be more conservative.)

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure why you feel that, but Magneride is not cheap and worth every penny. If you don't need Grand Touring type performance, then why spend?

Have my $5k... easy spend.

A tweaked RS engine with even bigger turbo and better cooling? I was looking at a black Bullitt or PP2. I am now relieved that Ford Performance skunkworked a competent turbo package into the Mustang. I can now (safely) dial in the amount of torque I want for my driving style. Upgrades as needed, as I go along.

400hp/450tq is doable now! (I think I am going to be more conservative.)
I was able to get an additional 70hp (awd) out of my Audi with just a 93 octane tune. With high flow catted downpipe another 20-30. Drop in filter added another 5 or so. So stage 2 90-105hp for $2k. Even more if you upgraded the cooling which this already has. Bet you can do the same with this engine. No telling what this might be capable of with a 100 octane tune.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
but Magneride is not cheap and worth every penny.
I'm not dissing MR at all. But it's only $1600 per Ford's wildly inflated MSRP. If it costs Ford $700 a set I'd be very surprised. It's been in production for over 10 years. It's not "cutting edge" technology any more. Hell you can go buy a new pair of Dorman, AC Delco, etc. MR shocks for $600 or less for the front on the open market (Amazon, AutoZone etc). The shit Ford puts on the base Mustangs costs them $300 at the most.

Given that that Ford is charging $5k for the HPP, they could throw in the Handling Pack and they'd still be making an easy 50%. It's just that they can sucker many tens of thousands of people to pay them double or more. And what's the point of a HPP car if it doesn't also have the Handling? I mean come on!

400hp/450tq is doable now!
I don't know what you're vaping, because it's some good sh*t. Just make sure it's not black market...

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I'm not dissing MR at all. But it's only $1600 per Ford's wildly inflated MSRP. If it costs Ford $700 a set I'd be very surprised. It's been in production for over 10 years. It's not "cutting edge" technology any more. Hell you can go buy a new pair of Dorman, AC Delco, etc. MR shocks for $600 or less for the front on the open market (Amazon, AutoZone etc). The shit Ford puts on the base Mustangs costs them $300 at the most.

Given that that Ford is charging $5k for the HPP, they could throw in the Handling Pack and they'd still be making an easy 50%. It's just that they can sucker many tens of thousands of people to pay them double or more. And what's the point of a HPP car if it doesn't also have the Handling? I mean come on!

I don't know what you're vaping, because it's some good sh*t. Just make sure it's not black market...
The software engineering/tuning costs more than the hardware. It is not that you can get MR cheaper, is it tuned & engineered to work with the car. No single kit offers that... You are off your rocker. Need to stop complaining about costs. MR cost the same for any Mustang, not just the HPP, you also get killer wheels and better brakes.

Secondly, nobody cares what you think about Ford's profit margins when they are shipping the engine from Spain. RS engine is stout and with a simple tune, easily on the heels of the GT if not outperforming it.
Sponsored

Last edited: