Sponsored

Who’s Gonna Buy The Mid-Engine Corvette C8?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Pricing sheet is up now, $59,995 including delivery fee for the base model.

Z51 package is $5,000 (includes the performance exhaust). Magnetic Ride is $1,895.

BtL7iybl.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
How much are the seats you want for track use?

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
If I spec'd one to what I want it's about 80k. But I would be completely satisfied with a 1lt, z51 with magneride for about 67k. After about a year or two that will drop to about 57k after rebates. I can not wait for road tests

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
How much are the seats you want for track use?
Competition Bucket Seats are $2k ($400 more than Recaros on a Mustang) and require $600 steering wheel too.

If I spec'd one to what I want it's about 80k. But I would be completely satisfied with a 1lt, z51 with magneride for about 67k. After about a year or two that will drop to about 57k after rebates. I can not wait for road tests
I think I'd be plenty happy with the base, but by the time I can afford any of them (at least another 4-5 years), Hopefully 2LT with Z51 and MR are more like $45-50.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you want red calipers on the C8 another $500.

Matching body panel colors $1000.

I bet most of the C8s in my neck of the woods will be poverty specials. When you start checking options the price will go up fast.

Sponsored

OP
OP
EcoVert

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Corvette Stingray Trims
1LT

Starting at
$59,995†

1LT is the car for driving purists who want the lightest Stingray possible, but one that's still very well equipped.

• Bose premium 10-speaker system
  • Standard 8-way power GT1 seats
  • Driver Mode Selector
  • All-season performance tires

2LT

Starting at
$67,295†

2LT adds a number of comfort and convenience features in addition to color-matched interior options. Includes everything in 1LT, plus:

• Additional interior color options
  • Bose Performance Series 14-Speaker Audio System
  • Heated/vented seats and heated steering wheel
  • Available GT2 seats in Napa leather
  • Head-Up Display and PDR

3LT

Starting at
$71,945†

3LT is the utmost in luxury performance, with a leather-wrapped interior. Includes everything in 2LT, plus:

• 13 interior color options
  • Custom leather-wrapped instrument panel and door
  • Suede microfiber upper interior trim
  • Standard GT2 seats in Napa leather

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm happy to see that they added orange (Sebring Orange) to the paint colors. I don't remember seeing it in the initial press release. 1LT, Z51, magnetorheological dampers for me. The rest is bloatware. I hate all of the wheel options, I wish car companies would sell them with crap wheels/tires (Steelies) for people that are going to change them on the way home from the dealer. I think the price will actually go up by a decent amount for 2020. They will adjust pricing to match demand. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few stupid little options (read: cheap to add) for 2020 and the base price move up to $65k.

I hope I'm wrong.

I also hope that they come out with a manual. I think they will, but I bet it will be Z06 only, meaning that you have to pay a lot more to get it. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

OP
OP
EcoVert

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I also hope that they come out with a manual.
GM has said that the tunnel has been designed not to put holes in the tunnel is the main structural part of the car. No manual :curse:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I’m probably a couple years out. Get my current car paid for and my kids out of school. Then I can justify buying it and keeping my convertible.

By then the Z06 and Grand Sport should both be out. I’ll probably pop for a Grand Sport if it carries the Z06 body and suspension like it does today and especially if it gets a different engine above the LT2. If not, I could be very happy with a 2LT Stingray Z51 with MR and a few other favorite options.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All depends on if I can fit in it and when the 2023 or 2024 model comes out. People who buy the 2020 are suckers. Go ahead and be GM's guinea pigs.
Lethal Camaro has a video on his YouTube channel where he sat in a C8 and had them put the roof on it so that he could check the clearance to his head. He thinks he can sit in the car, roof on, wearing a racing helmet. He’s 6’5”.

GM has said that the tunnel has been designed not to put holes in the tunnel is the main structural part of the car. No manual :curse:
This is very, very true. This was being discussed while I was still at GM and was recently confirmed by both Ed Piatek (Corvette Chief Engineer) and Tadge Juechter (Exec. Chief Engineer, GM Performance Cars)

Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've seen the patent for the "e-stick" which is probably their lame attempt to make it feel like a manual. That being said, the tunnel can be reinforced, created with a thicker material, or penetrating somewhere else, such as the rear bulkhead/firewall. Where there is a will, there is a way. The real question is, does the will make financial sense? I don't think it does, but one can only hope. I don't blame the car, nor the company, nor the engineers. It is a travesty that today's kids (Kid is all relative...) aspire more to drive distracted (Or have the car cart their rear around) than to learn how to shift, but I'll shut my yap on that because I know that belongs in a different forum.

I will say that history shows interest fades in a model, so the familiar "tick-tock" engineering/marketing model comes into play. The c8 is the biggest "tick" I've ever seen, and I'm hoping the mid-refresh (aka the "tock") will renew interest with a manual. And probably the requisite tail and/or headlight change that seems to be the defacto "tock" change. The question left in my mind is if the Tremec people built the DCT with the possibility of becoming a stick, then there is marginal hope. Lest we not forget the Porsche PDK 7-speed which started life as a DCT/Auto and also became a 7-speed true manual. If not, then I agree to stick a fork in it. I can't see the general go so far as to contract out to build an entire new transaxle for 10-15% of perspective owners.

C'est la vie :frown:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Corvette Stingray Trims
1LT

Starting at
$59,995†

1LT is the car for driving purists who want the lightest Stingray possible, but one that's still very well equipped.
Driving "purists" who want a DCT and all season tires in their 3600 lb 2 seater that can hold 2 sets of golf clubs.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Driving "purists" who want a DCT and all season tires in their 3600 lb 2 seater that can hold 2 sets of golf clubs.
None of which matters if the car can still kick ass. And those all season tires can maintain almost 1 G. I'd take those on my Camaro in a heartbeat.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
None of which matters if the car can still kick ass. And those all season tires can maintain almost 1 G. I'd take those on my Camaro in a heartbeat.
The C8 will definitely be fast (assuming that's what you mean). It all depends on what you want the car to be and what you enjoy. Most of the people who are buying modern Corvettes will like it, I'm sure. From what I can tell it's very similar to the C7, except more exotic in design.

I was just thinking that "driving purists" would not be the phrase I would use. The C8 is great in its way. It's just not built for driving purity in my opinion. More for speed, comfort and convenience in a cool looking package.
Sponsored