1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
can you tell me what order these cars are in, in terms of lap times?
2018 Chevrolet Camaro weight by trims Curb weight Gross weight
1LT 2dr Coupe 3339 lbs. (1514 kg) –
1LS 2dr Coupe 3354 lbs. (1521 kg) –
2LT 2dr Coupe 3354 lbs. (1521 kg) –
1LT 2dr Convertible 3627 lbs. (1645 kg) –
2LT 2dr Convertible 3647 lbs. (1654 kg) –
1LS 2dr Convertible 3647 lbs. (1654 kg) –
2SS 2dr Coupe 3685 lbs. (1671 kg) –
1SS 2dr Coupe 3685 lbs. (1671 kg) –
ZL1 2dr Coupe 3883 lbs. (1761 kg) –
Nice post, notice there is a 200lbs difference between an SS and a ZL1. How did gt500 gain 400/500lbs? And that's comparing it to the carbon package gt500.

Can you show me a gt350r lap time compared to a c6z. Cars are in the same ball park in terms of power but one is 500lbs lighter.
Also, previous gt500 time is SLOWER than a gt350r. So how does more weight and more power really work? Gt350r is around 200lbs lighter compared to 2013 gt500.

I could go on, but obviously you didnt look at the weights of the fastest cars.

I was in carmel California yesterday, saw a ton of exotics, 4 new ford gts. I didnt go to the exotics on Broadway which was the main event. Anyways I saw a zl1 1le. I think they're cool, I'm reminded of how quick that car can do a lap and continuously do it, especially for its weight. It has front dive planes, it has enough coolers to keep engine/blower/transmission running lap after lap, it also has a rear wing that stands up high. Gt500 doesnt have front dive planes and has a low standing wing. Kind of like the non ZTK package in the ZR1. The fast laps that the ZR1 was able to achieve was in the higher wing ZTK package.

I think if ford was serious about this being a track star, this would have a bigger wing, front dive planes and done a little more to address weight.

Now maybe this car can do a fast lap or two, beat the previous gt350r, but after that 4100lbs will be hard to hide. Either way I'm excited, it's a fuggen beast and as a ford guy this car will put down more power then advertised.
Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Yeah nah. GM isn't putting any turbo in a mid engine vette. Supercharger for sure.

As fast as fastest.. Camaro ZL1 2dr Coupe @ 3883 lbs would be that fastest. It's all about hp to weight ratio & traction.
Also, the base C8 according to GM will be faster than the C8 w/ the Z51 package. Go figure.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1124601_2020-chevy-corvette-stingray-s-top-speed-is-194-mph-but-z51-is-slower?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5d596815a341320001ab55be&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1W3gmXwHq0QO9breC1CdPgvjL8eK9mJ6wqhAbOiSwagttFyIQ4rft2WKs
Since you did specify which "fastest" you mean. I will assume you mean top speed

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Nice post, notice there is a 200lbs difference between an SS and a ZL1. How did gt500 gain 400/500lbs? And that's comparing it to the carbon package gt500.

Can you show me a gt350r lap time compared to a c6z. Cars are in the same ball park in terms of power but one is 500lbs lighter.
Also, previous gt500 time is SLOWER than a gt350r. So how does more weight and more power really work? Gt350r is around 200lbs lighter compared to 2013 gt500.

I could go on, but obviously you didnt look at the weights of the fastest cars.

I was in carmel California yesterday, saw a ton of exotics, 4 new ford gts. I didnt go to the exotics on Broadway which was the main event. Anyways I saw a zl1 1le. I think they're cool, I'm reminded of how quick that car can do a lap and continuously do it, especially for its weight. It has front dive planes, it has enough coolers to keep engine/blower/transmission running lap after lap, it also has a rear wing that stands up high. Gt500 doesnt have front dive planes and has a low standing wing. Kind of like the non ZTK package in the ZR1. The fast laps that the ZR1 was able to achieve was in the higher wing ZTK package.

I think if ford was serious about this being a track star, this would have a bigger wing, front dive planes and done a little more to address weight.

Now maybe this car can do a fast lap or two, beat the previous gt350r, but after that 4100lbs will be hard to hide. Either way I'm excited, it's a fuggen beast and as a ford guy this car will put down more power then advertised.
Bigger wing? They used the carbon fiber wing from the GT4 racecar. How much more serious do you need?

The GT500 carbon also has gurney flap and integrated dive planes.

As for the weight gain, that's what happens when you have to beefen up the suspension/drive-train for more power, widen the front end, widen the tires, add more cooling, add a supercharger, add a heavier transmission, add more cooling capacity, add bigger brakes etc. All of this added weight was done to allow the car to go faster at the track. You can't lighten these cars and expect them to reliably be faster.

I'm curious, why do you think this car can only do a fast lap or two?

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Bigger wing? They used the carbon fiber wing from the GT4 racecar. How much more serious do you need?

The GT500 carbon also has gurney flap and integrated dive planes.

As for the weight gain, that's what happens when you have to beefen up the suspension/drive-train for more power, widen the front end, widen the tires, add more cooling, add a supercharger, add a heavier transmission, add more cooling capacity, add bigger brakes etc. All of this added weight was done to allow the car to go faster at the track. You can't lighten these cars and expect them to reliably be faster.

I'm curious, why do you think this car can only do a fast lap or two?
In between sonoma and laguna seca, most of the cars being driven on a track day are cars under 4000lbs. The heavy cars play a moving cone obstacle role. I'd say 90% or more of the cars in a track day are under that 4k weight. I'm curious, why do you think a GT500 could be a good track day car, because Ford said so?
What do you see at your local road courses? You see hellcats or 4000+lbs car roaming around? Do you even visit the track? Or are you like the rest of these guys thinking 4100lbs is fine because the owners will never track their car?

I like that this is in the GT500 Esourcebook:
NOTE: Remember that even advanced technology cannot overcome the laws of physics.

Lol, anyone thinking GM not using a twin turbo for their C8Z should be ignored. They already went DCT and mid engine, a blower is not enough to compete with the mclaren 720s, gt2rs and ferrari pista. All twin turbo cars. Superchargers are slowly dying, even mercedes stopped going the blower route and going low displacement engine + turbo.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
4100 minus weight reduction will bring the car down to sub 4K. Stop focusing on the base weight number.

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
4100 minus weight reduction will bring the car down to sub 4K. Stop focusing on the base weight number.
Tom, while I'm a huge Ford fan, weight reduction isn't 'OEM'... and the car is starting at 4200+ lbs... the 'weight reduction' mostly coming from the place it needs it... (the rear of the car). So... the balance actually gets worse.

It will be interesting to see a CFTP car's weight, with full tank of fuel... I'm going to say it will still be 4100+ lbs... and then add a typical 200 lb driver... and you're 4300 lbs. Now, for the dragstrip, when you can run the car on empty, we may see a lightened 4,000 lb car... but for the road course, where the full tank will be needed... very unlikely... and if you cage it... now another conservative 50 - 75lbs added in... (the right place mind you).

I'm afraid the car is going to eat up front tires if doing more than 5 laps... I do hope all the weight is overcome by so much cooling that at least the car doesn't lose HP lap after lap... but no actual road racer was hoping for a Dodge Hellcat weight bias... heck... the Hellcat has an Iron block, and is a much bigger car weighing within a 100lbs or so... I never expected to see this car weigh 500 more lbs than my GT350R did.

Best Regards,
Dave

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
What was Ford thinking? If I was running the Ford PR department, I would have released the CFTP weight first. Maybe it would have saved us a lot of this banter.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
What was Ford thinking? If I was running the Ford PR department, I would have released the CFTP weight first. Maybe it would have saved us a lot of this banter.
Good thinking but we'd still be going round and round about the weight. Haters gotta Hate

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
If I had to guess, I would say Ford is still working on the CFTP weight. So this postponement was like the HP postponement which was 760 instead of the original 720. They are lightening the load for the Tomster Special. It will be the TSTP.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tom, while I'm a huge Ford fan, weight reduction isn't 'OEM'... and the car is starting at 4200+ lbs... the 'weight reduction' mostly coming from the place it needs it... (the rear of the car). So... the balance actually gets worse.

It will be interesting to see a CFTP car's weight, with full tank of fuel... I'm going to say it will still be 4100+ lbs... and then add a typical 200 lb driver... and you're 4300 lbs. Now, for the dragstrip, when you can run the car on empty, we may see a lightened 4,000 lb car... but for the road course, where the full tank will be needed... very unlikely... and if you cage it... now another conservative 50 - 75lbs added in... (the right place mind you).

I'm afraid the car is going to eat up front tires if doing more than 5 laps... I do hope all the weight is overcome by so much cooling that at least the car doesn't lose HP lap after lap... but no actual road racer was hoping for a Dodge Hellcat weight bias... heck... the Hellcat has an Iron block, and is a much bigger car weighing within a 100lbs or so... I never expected to see this car weigh 500 more lbs than my GT350R did.

Best Regards,
Dave
Yes, I get it, but OEM doesn't necessarily mean track ready. We all do track prep and this year it is going to mean getting rid of the fluff. That's the problem, the fluff came OEM to sell the car to the common folk who would never track their car in the first place. So I get your point, to me, this is just taking a car with huge potential and making it that much better..... Something OEM probably couldn't do if they wanted to appeal to the masses of, well, you know.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
If I had to guess, I would say Ford is still working on the CFTP weight. So this postponement was like the HP postponement which was 760 instead of the original 720. They are lightening the load for the Tomster Special. It will be the TSTP.
I think this whole thing was wrapped up in a bow tie (no pun intended) a long time ago. There is a reason for everything Ford is doing right now. Not fact, just an observation of how this whole thing has played out so far.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just weighed mine. 2018 Roush, PP1, 400a, 20x9.5 wheels, 630rwhp (roush sc) full tank of gas, no resonators, bigger upgraded Roush HE, 3994lbs. That’s after subtracting me.

Sounds like the dct (very heavy) and cooling makes up the difference. I don’t see the problem. unless they built it off of the Ford Focus platform I don’t see how they make it lighter.
Sponsored