Sponsored

New Whipple stage 1 kit

MustangNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 cobra
Hey everyone, I’m planning on ordering the gen 3-4 stage 1 Whipple kit. Not looking to break any horsepower records, and I want something with OEM reliability and little to no maintenance as this is my daily driver.

That said, I noticed that the stage 1 you can upgrade to 72lbs injectors. Is this really needed? Seems like the 55lbs ones in the standard kit may struggle to keep up with the advertised horsepower at 750 flywheel.
Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I would invest in the Stage 2 kit, that comes with the upgraded injectors and throttle body from the start. Well worth the money, and still reliable and streetable on pump gas.

OP
OP

MustangNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 cobra
Considered the stage 2 kit, but for what I need and want for the car stage 1 will more than get me there.

Anyone have thoughts on the injector dilemma?

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
I have yet to see any issues with the supplied smaller injectors. My AFR remained solid on the Dyno as well as when I have logged it during track passes. The kit is well engineered and you will have no issues as long as your use the fuel intended, along with the supplied Whipple tune.

It makes plenty of power as-is, you will struggle to put it all down unless you run around on a radial or some type of compounded tire at all times.

I dyno'd 643 RWHP with an entirely stock car right down to the cats/exhaust.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t bother upgrading the injectors.
Whipple are happy with the 55’s for stage 1.
If you decide to get an aftermarket tune later on, most of the big names won’t tune with the 72lb injectors anyway, so they become a useless upgrade unless you stick with Whipple for the Stage 2 kit.

Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
As someone who bought the stage 1 and then the stage 2 upgrade, just buy the stage 2. Or, if smog compliance isn’t an issue, look at one of beefcake’s kits that comes with ID1050s and a third party tune. Going that route, you can do e85 and only have to contend with the fuel system rather than swapping injectors again.

OP
OP

MustangNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 cobra
Thanks for the input everyone.

Think I’m gonna stick with the stage 1 with 55lb and use the extra cash for tires. Seems like that’s gonna be the bigger issue with traction.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
if the stage 1 is getting you all the power you need, no reason to spend extra $ on things not needed

let me know if we can help at all
Sponsored