Sponsored

Stop and Go Adaptive Cruise

CCalvinN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey everybody,

I've been loving my new Mustang for all of 5 days now and I swear you couldn't pry the smile off my face.

One thing has come up, however, that was annoying. While driving to work the other day I had the adaptive cruise on and was coming up to a nice slow safe stop at a red light. I've done this thousands of times in my last car with adaptive cruise ('17 Ford Fusion) and the ACC would bring me all the way down to a stop. If the stop was for 3 seconds or less it would then kick back in and start accelerating back up to the speed, all without any intervention from me. I never found this system perfect as the gap made when starting back up was always too big at first, I did love that I didn't have to put my foot on the brakes at all and never had to 'resume' the cruise. This time as I was slowing down I heard a beep and felt the braking cease, making me take over the process.

Reading the manual of this fine beast of a Mustang I see that "Your vehicle maintains a consistent gap from the vehicle ahead until...Your vehicle speed falls below 12 mph".

As my Fusion was the first time I've had or experienced adaptive cruise control, I had just assumed they all had that 'Stop and Go' feature.

Does anybody know why Ford didn't add the Stop and Go feature to the Mustang? And does anybody know of a way to add that feature?
Sponsored

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Hey everybody,

I've been loving my new Mustang for all of 5 days now and I swear you couldn't pry the smile off my face.

One thing has come up, however, that was annoying. While driving to work the other day I had the adaptive cruise on and was coming up to a nice slow safe stop at a red light. I've done this thousands of times in my last car with adaptive cruise ('17 Ford Fusion) and the ACC would bring me all the way down to a stop. If the stop was for 3 seconds or less it would then kick back in and start accelerating back up to the speed, all without any intervention from me. I never found this system perfect as the gap made when starting back up was always too big at first, I did love that I didn't have to put my foot on the brakes at all and never had to 'resume' the cruise. This time as I was slowing down I heard a beep and felt the braking cease, making me take over the process.

Reading the manual of this fine beast of a Mustang I see that "Your vehicle maintains a consistent gap from the vehicle ahead until...Your vehicle speed falls below 12 mph".

As my Fusion was the first time I've had or experienced adaptive cruise control, I had just assumed they all had that 'Stop and Go' feature.

Does anybody know why Ford didn't add the Stop and Go feature to the Mustang? And does anybody know of a way to add that feature?
No clue but I wish it also had it. Mine always cuts off before it stops completely. If you find a way let us know.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Can you get a Fusion with a manual? I have ACC on my MT-86 GT, so having the system run all the way to a stop would clearly be an issue. Perhaps they didn't want to write and test two versions of the software.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering about that, many new cars have stop and go but the Mustang has just to 12mph and shuts off. I guess they do not expect Mustangs to drive in real traffic :p I have the A10 and wish maybe some software update or something could enable stop and go.

I am seeing that if anyone wants to go FI or get certain aftermarket grills or bumpers, the kits want ACC to be disabled.. not sure of the 18+ FP kit if it allows for ACC, but I know Whipple does not.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Not sure why it does not work that way, but I am glad it does not. I have a manual Mustang, but in my wife's car it will cut off also (Honda Pilot). I would be afraid that I would forget when it is not on cruise and just bash into the car ahead. I can say I have never driven one with it so maybe I would like it, but I doubt it. Also, in heavy traffic I want to be in control of the car, not the car. Plus ACC is not the smoothest for transitioning from fast to slow and vice versa. Out in the open, cruise is great though.

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
The Mustang has ACC but not ACC with stop & go. That’s really all there is to it unfortunately. No clue as to why it wasn’t added but I don’t think there’s a way to add it in. It’s odd because it does have automatic emergency breaking with pedestrian-alert.

FloridaMatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EP vert, 2020 Corsair
Yeah, the lack of ACC with stop&go is really annoying, especially after having owned a couple cars with that feature. Almost as annoying is no longer having + and - buttons that adjust 1mph with a light press, and to the next 5mph increment with a harder press.

OP
OP
CCalvinN

CCalvinN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yeah, the lack of ACC with stop&go is really annoying, especially after having owned a couple cars with that feature. Almost as annoying is no longer having + and - buttons that adjust 1mph with a light press, and to the next 5mph increment with a harder press.
Maybe that's something that's changed for 2019. Mine can adjust the speed with a + and - button while a longer (not harder) press will increase it by 5mph.

FloridaMatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EP vert, 2020 Corsair
Maybe that's something that's changed for 2019. Mine can adjust the speed with a + and - button while a longer (not harder) press will increase it by 5mph.
Also true for my 2018, but I simply can't get the hold time right, and wind up 5-10 past where I want to be. My Cadillac had a rocker switch with very clear resistant points. Push past that point and it did +/- 5 (and only once, push again for another 5. Very ergonomic. It also retained the on-or-off setting across ignition cycles so I never had to remember to turn it on.

Hooch180

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maciej
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 5.0 (EU)
I really hope that Stop & Go is something that someone will figure out as I'm guessing it is only software thing. This car already can stop for pedestrians and other cars in emergency.

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I was thinking about this thread this weekend during a cruise and realized that if the ACC would stop & go on its own what would happen in the event of a medical emergency? If I had a seizure or other event, I'd want the car to stop and stay stopped. The engineers must have realized how many "seniors" own Mustangs.

You can now return to the 'discussion' about disconnecting nannies.
myZth4Q.gif

Arcadia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 Velocity Blue
I was thinking about this thread this weekend during a cruise and realized that if the ACC would stop & go on its own what would happen in the event of a medical emergency? If I had a seizure or other event, I'd want the car to stop and stay stopped. The engineers must have realized how many "seniors" own Mustangs.

myZth4Q.gif
I believe it does not go to a full stop due to the same system being used for manual and auto. If it went to a stop the manual would stall out early causing rear ends from cars behind. The 12 mph disengage forces the operator back into the equation to prevent stalls.

OP
OP
CCalvinN

CCalvinN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

myZth4Q.gif
That's just it... this system won't stop your car. If you're having a medical emergency and lose control of yourself and your car, the current adaptive cruise control will slow you down with traffic to 12 mph and then let you rear end the car in front of you. Stop and Go would let you roll to a complete stop then if you're still stopped after 3 seconds, disengage and let you sit there safely (assuming you stop in a place that doesn't require braking to remain in place).

I believe it does not go to a full stop due to the same system being used for manual and auto. If it went to a stop the manual would stall out early causing rear ends from cars behind. The 12 mph disengage forces the operator back into the equation to prevent stalls.
I'm not so sure that it's just the added complication of adding the manual transmission to the programming. Adding the manual already added a complication in that it completely disengages whenever the clutch is pressed in. My understanding is that if the ACC slows you down enough in a manual that your RPMs begin to bog down it will also disengage where the automatic would simply shift down.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Adding the manual already added a complication in that it completely disengages whenever the clutch is pressed in.
Almost. Throttle control releases when the clutch is pressed in but the brakes appear to remain active to maintain the minimum distance to the car in front of you. When you finish shifting, the system is still active. It doesn't fully disengage unless you hold the clutch in for several seconds or touch the brakes.

My understanding is that if the ACC slows you down enough in a manual that your RPMs begin to bog down it will also disengage where the automatic would simply shift down.
The system will slow the car down well below where an automatic would downshift. When you do hit the point in a manual transmission car where it's bogging the engine way down, it will release and sound a tone.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Almost. Throttle control releases when the clutch is pressed in but the brakes appear to remain active to maintain the minimum distance to the car in front of you. When you finish shifting, the system is still active.
This is what I would like to activate in my 2016. I knew it wouldn't do that before ordering but considering my 2013 Cadillac works that way, seems ridiculous it took Ford 'till '19 to figure it out. REALLY stupid to make drivers shift their hands on the wheel to hit a resume button after every shift.
Sponsored