Sponsored

2015 3.31 Diff on Track, Overheating Concerns

FordMustacheGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I have a 2015 Mustang GT with the 3.31 Trac-Lok differential. I'm thinking about taking it to the track but I have concerns about damaging the differential due to overheating, which looks like it's a common problem (the overheating, that is). Since I have a 2015 Mustang I don't have the rear differential temp sensor so I can't keep an eye on the temp in real time, but I don't mind using the sticker/heat gun. I had a couple questions/concerns:

- Does anybody have experience tracking a Mustang with the 3.31 Trac-Loc diff? Have you seen the same overheating issues that the Torsen 3.55 and 3.73 diffs experience?
- What would happen if I run the differential too hot, for a long time (since I won't be able to tell the diff temperature until I pull off the track and take a look at the sticker/heat gun)? For instance, will the diff seize up and I won't be able to drive home or will it just put on some extra wear on the components in the diff?

Apologies if this topic has been covered before, I did some searching but my search-fu didn't lead me to these answers.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you're in hot ambient (FL, TX, AZ), I suspect you'll be fine. Wrapping the exhaust near the diff helps.

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
If its your first time then you you will be fine. You have to either really learn how to push the car from multiple track days, or be on track for more than 30 min. Most groups run 20 min sessions, 30 at the most. I know people with the PP2 305 sticky tires who are quick but not fast and never have a problem with the diff overheating. Few people that I encounter at the track seem to have issues with the diff overheating.

When it fails from high temps (like 350+) it will fail completely and catastrophically usually, thats why Ford started to include temp sensors on the diff. People had no idea there was anything wrong, then boom. Again, I wouldnt worry about it if I were u. Throw a temp sticker on there to check after your first session. Just to give you the warm and fuzzy. Ill bet your around 220 230. Warning triggers at270. Limp mode at 300.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I wouldn't worry about it for a single event. Especially your first one where your probably not pushing the car that hard.

Change the dff oil afterwards with better/heavier oil and note what the fluid coming out looks like.

Then change it every event or two, monitoring the condition. After a while you will have a good idea how much stress you are putting in and if you need a cooler or just shorter change intervals.

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
I also suggest wrapping the exhaust as a cheap preventative for overheating. And better diff fluid.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What tracks/events are you going to in the northeast?

As others have said, you should not worry about this quite yet. Wrap the exhaust and change out the fluid to something better and you should be fine at your level.

OP
OP
FordMustacheGT

FordMustacheGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Great advice/suggestions, thanks all! Sounds like I'm good.

What tracks/events are you going to in the northeast?
I've been to one of the Limerock Autocross days and I'll probably do another. After that I'm thinking about doing a Track Night in America at Palmer or Thompson, and then maybe an HPDE at Limerock towards the end of the summer.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I track the 3.31 with clutches and yes it also overheats. It’s temp seems to be linked to how fast the track is. The higher the speeds and the more WOT driving, the faster it overheats.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
In my 15 EB PP my diff overheated really bad. This was before the temp sensors were out.

All of the seals were leaking, and it was loose, you could spin the driveshaft at least an 1/16 revolution before the wheels would spin.

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
So far have run 3-4 track weekends at Virginia International raceway with the BG fluids. Haven't seen any signs of leaks etc. I would think for a beginner, you should be fine for TNIA

Sponsored

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
... Throw a temp sticker on there to check after your first session. Just to give you the warm and fuzzy. Ill bet your around 220 230. Warning triggers at270. Limp mode at 300.
I've seen the temp stickers when shopping but can't remember where I saw them. Who has them?

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Opmustang has some. Dunno if they are in stock though.
Sponsored