PP2 Front Splitter Install

Mr.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 2019 Velocity Blue PP2
Debating weather to have the dealer leave the PP2 front splitter off since I have to load mine into a trailer. I have a lift, how difficult is it to install?
Sponsored

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
Piece of cake if you can get the front end off the ground. Get the tool for plastic rivets from harbor freight and follow the directions included with the splitter.

Sponsored

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, easy. Like 2018OFPP1?2 said above, you need a POM riveter, they have them dirt cheap at Harbor Freight.

Geo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Race Red
Debating weather to have the dealer leave the PP2 front splitter off since I have to load mine into a trailer. I have a lift, how difficult is it to install?
I wouldn’t suggest using the plastic rivets, after several races on the track with my PP2 I noticed several rivers where missing. I drilled out the rest of the rivets and removed the lower splitter and the lower panel that the splitter is attached to.
I found that the lower panel has extra structure inside where the rivets are located, some of the structure is so close to one another that it’s not allowing the plastic rivet to spread out to properly secure the splitter (rivets falling out or hanging loose).
To solve the issue I used M5 rubber well nuts, this would require a slightly larger hole but worked out well in securing the lower splitter properly. M5 screws (black) along with washers (black) for hardware. Doing it this way I can remove the splitter along with the lower panel anytime should I need to work behind the grille/radiator area. I have had no issues with the splitter since making this change.

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t suggest using the plastic rivets, after several races on the track with my PP2 I noticed several rivers where missing. I drilled out the rest of the rivets and removed the lower splitter and the lower panel that the splitter is attached to.
I found that the lower panel has extra structure inside where the rivets are located, some of the structure is so close to one another that it’s not allowing the plastic rivet to spread out to properly secure the splitter (rivets falling out or hanging loose).
To solve the issue I used M5 rubber well nuts, this would require a slightly larger hole but worked out well in securing the lower splitter properly. M5 screws (black) along with washers (black) for hardware. Doing it this way I can remove the splitter along with the lower panel anytime should I need to work behind the grille/radiator area. I have had no issues with the splitter since making this change.
This is great advice, I'm going to take it myself for the reinstall of my pp2 splitter. I've been dragging my feet because I didn't want to rivet until I was sure that I was done in there. I'm guessing you just got the well nuts at home Depot?

Geo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Race Red
This is great advice, I'm going to take it myself for the reinstall of my pp2 splitter. I've been dragging my feet because I didn't want to rivet until I was sure that I was done in there. I'm guessing you just got the well nuts at home Depot?
Amazon, I don’t remember the total number of well nuts used. I included a snap shot with more info. Do not use a drill bit, instead a uni bit which was a a safer way to increase the size of the holes in the plastic panel.
3F780328-CF65-4A57-BE2A-ABBEE9DEF832.png

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you, much appreciated!

Sponsored

Champracerj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
Amazon, I don’t remember the total number of well nuts used. I included a snap shot with more info. Do not use a drill bit, instead a uni bit which was a a safer way to increase the size of the holes in the plastic panel.

I really like this mounting as my PP2 spliter has some damage (I didn't do it) so I want to replace it.

Do I replace it with the OEM part or get an aftermarket one?

I tried to get the OEM part and after 2 delivery attempts I still don't have a replacement. The first one that came was the incorrect part. The second one I received was damaged.

Last edited:

Champracerj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
Any tips on how to alight the splitter. I have PP1 is the OEM splitter different on the PP1 and PP2 I guess I have to do some drilling

I don't know what the PP1 front valance / belly pan is like but the PP2 OEM splitter has 2 tabs that mount in the wheel well on the front side of the inner fender. That will position it fairly well. And also the PP2 splitter has 2 large posts on the top side that engage locating holes in the lower valance. If your PP1 doesn't have these holes you will have to drill them.

As for my OEM replacement saga the Ford parts place I was going thru just told me they are no longer doing the web/on-line orders... So now I'll loss the shipping credit they owe me to ship the part ... aaaaaagh!!!!!

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input.
I'll se what I can do and most likely I will mess something up lol

I don't know what the PP1 front valance / belly pan is like but the PP2 OEM splitter has 2 tabs that mount in the wheel well on the front side of the inner fender. That will position it fairly well. And also the PP2 splitter has 2 large posts on the top side that engage locating holes in the lower valance. If your PP1 doesn't have these holes you will have to drill them.

As for my OEM replacement saga the Ford parts place I was going thru just told me they are no longer doing the web/on-line orders... So now I'll loss the shipping credit they owe me to ship the part ... aaaaaagh!!!!!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

That’s cool to know if suing on plastic - because those sort of remind me of “nutserts” which are a steel equivalent.

On my prior 95 BMW M3, the front belly pan/splitter on those were notorious for coming loose or loosing the complete pan or rivets. So a friend and I had devised an aluminum replacement and used nutserts for securing it back to the underside of the car - worked great.
Sponsored