Sponsored

Differnetial Overheating Mostly Kinda Solved 2018GT PP1

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I wonder if there's an exhaust that does not go all the way to the rear bumper, but rather exits before rear wheels that it also reasonably quiet to be street driveable.

This would be a weight reduction by itself, plus maybe rear diff wouldn't need extra cooler weight. I mean, there wouldn't be heatung exhaust around the diff.
I don't see that making any amount of difference to justify all that trouble.
Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I wonder if there's an exhaust that does not go all the way to the rear bumper, but rather exits before rear wheels that it also reasonably quiet to be street driveable.

This would be a weight reduction by itself, plus maybe rear diff wouldn't need extra cooler weight. I mean, there wouldn't be heatung exhaust around the diff.
I have my exhaust dump just past the pumpkin, I also doubt it will have any effect, I dump mine early for weight, aero and noise limiting. Mine is a dedicated track car and does not see street use but a lot of tracks are getting harder to pass the noise limits. Dumping the exhaust under he car helps to cancel out some of the noise and reduces the sound level a bit.

The reality is if you drive on faster tracks you can buy yourself a little time by fluid type, heat shields, and fans in the pit, but the only real cure is to add a diff cooler.

Dave
IMG_6668.JPG
IMG_6675.JPG

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I have my exhaust dump just past the pumpkin, I also doubt it will have any effect, I dump mine early for weight, aero and noise limiting. Mine is a dedicated track car and does not see street use but a lot of tracks are getting harder to pass the noise limits. Dumping the exhaust under he car helps to cancel out some of the noise and reduces the sound level a bit.

The reality is if you drive on faster tracks you can buy yourself a little time by fluid type, heat shields, and fans in the pit, but the only real cure is to add a diff cooler.

Dave
IMG_6668.JPG
IMG_6675.JPG
Nice! Man that's gotta be loud though, no way that's streetable?

lil'Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane Landis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 1993 Ford Lightning 2018 Jeep Unlimited Sahara 2004 Ford F150
What is the brand of rear diffuser set up is this? I'd like something like this for mine, but I'm guessing you have to totally ditch the axle backs to make this work?

Side note, I have a full tilt boogie kit an I can run the car hard on the track and it keeps it around 175/180 all the time with how I have it set.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
What is the brand of rear diffuser set up is this? I'd like something like this for mine, but I'm guessing you have to totally ditch the axle backs to make this work?

Side note, I have a full tilt boogie kit an I can run the car hard on the track and it keeps it around 175/180 all the time with how I have it set.
The Diffuser is from Verus Engineering, they do not always have them in stock so if they do have it and you want it I would order it. They designed it to work with the stock exhaust, but I added the extension to the diffuser that goes from where they stopped forward to right behind the end of the fuel tank. If you run full exhaust you will not be able to run the extension but I ran the diffuser on my last car without the extension and it is noticeable with and without the diffuser in place. This diffuser with a GT350R rear wing and a 3-4" front splitter has a well balanced feel aero wise and worked well for me. They have some CFD data on their site about the parts but it is all calculated data and not real world numbers so keep that in mind.

https://www.verus-engineering.com/ford-mustang-s550-products

Dave

Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Nice! Man that's gotta be loud though, no way that's streetable?
Yah, it being not-streetable is stating things lightly.

This is what is sounds like from outside the car:

and from inside the car:

Dave

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So few questions here:

1. Where in the menus you find your diff temp or should I look for ODB comp for that ?
2. Ford Performance Racing school is installing diff cooler on there GT's is this the GT350 diff cooler or a different one ?

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
So.
I'd like tonshare what i do for my diff .
My 18 10speed overheats the diff only in laguna .
(I regularly track at thill willow spring sonoma buttonwillow)
Here s my ..cooling .
Ryobi cordless leaf blower. Sit behimg the car a start to blow air pooring some water in front of the blower to "spray water to the diff" the reduction in temp is... Very good. Also wetting. And cooling the exhaust around allow the diff to cool faster .

I also have an oil cooler and a new trans cooler ( i swap a 10r80 at 10k miles due to seared clutches )
20190602_092925_HDR.jpg

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
According to my gauge, transmission temps reached up to 275F and diff was about 260 during a track day yesterday at Gateway Motorsports Park in 90 degree weather. I can see them easily creeping up to 300 on a longer track or with faster driver.

Even with 20-30 min cooldown the temps wouldn't drop past 230ish. Unfortunately I did not have a fan to see if that made any difference. Hope to have one and try out at Gingerman soon.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
KISS
Route a spare washer line and nozzle thru cab to spray top front of diff.
Spray will flash to steam.
Cheap, robust and very effective.

Could add a timer to automate:
https://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Digi...321&hvtargid=pla-770839548711#customerReviews

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?&_nkw=NE555+delay+Time+relay&_sacat=0
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_nkw=NE555+delay+Time+relay&_sacat=0

I would heat wrap exhaust starting from immediately after the cats to 12" past diff. The trans tunnel is a freaking oven.
Sponsored