Sponsored

Ethanol reading incorrectly after reflash

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
Ethanol was at 89% afr was about 9.7 but then I had to update my x4 to put e85r tune on it. So I flashed car to stock, updated device, flash the FF back on (having problem getting e85r tune to load to device) and waited for afr to drop and ethanol % to rise and it hasn't gone passed 66.7% afr 11.0.

Fuel trims within 5%, disconnected battery to relearn still nothing. Drove 150 miles and still stuck at 66.7 ethanol. Knock sensors always negative.

Don't know what to do now I just had lund resend me a new e85r tune since I couldn't load it. Sent lund my FF datalog before this all happened and they said it looked great.

Anyone know why it's not reading past 66.7% ethanol when the same tank of gas was reading 89% before the reflash. Any tips or tricks to try? Reflash? Flash the e85r tune and send it?

I am going to ask lund what they think but thought I throw this out to the community to see if anyone encountered this before. It's not the tune I love lund and it worked flawlessly until I reflashed.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Ethanol was at 89% afr was about 9.7 but then I had to update my x4 to put e85r tune on it. So I flashed car to stock, updated device, flash the FF back on (having problem getting e85r tune to load to device) and waited for afr to drop and ethanol % to rise and it hasn't gone passed 66.7% afr 11.0.

Fuel trims within 5%, disconnected battery to relearn still nothing. Drove 150 miles and still stuck at 66.7 ethanol. Knock sensors always negative.

Don't know what to do now I just had lund resend me a new e85r tune since I couldn't load it. Sent lund my FF datalog before this all happened and they said it looked great.

Anyone know why it's not reading past 66.7% ethanol when the same tank of gas was reading 89% before the reflash. Any tips or tricks to try? Reflash? Flash the e85r tune and send it?

I am going to ask lund what they think but thought I throw this out to the community to see if anyone encountered this before. It's not the tune I love lund and it worked flawlessly until I reflashed.
Are you rev holding at around 2.5k-3k rpm while idle watching it change or driving lightly while under load on a highway (2.5-3.5k steady RPM)? I've had varying amounts as well, but not very drastic changes. Had 76.7% when driving, but while idle revving I got mine to 88.2% on this same tank.

Also, does your learn flag ever go to 1 or does it remain at 0?

OP
OP
ChiTownStang26

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Zelek

Idle, driving, or even after driving for 150 miles just sits at 66.7%. I dont know about alch flag since I dont believe I have that on the x4 but I'm going to check on the torque app for it after reading your thread.

Somethings up, the fact that it wont even move a tenth. Going to try flashing stock then FF tune again.

Thanks for spitballing with me

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
@Zelek

Idle, driving, or even after driving for 150 miles just sits at 66.7%. I dont know about alch flag since I dont believe I have that on the x4 but I'm going to check on the torque app for it after reading your thread.

Somethings up, the fact that it wont even move a tenth. Going to try flashing stock then FF tune again.

Thanks for spitballing with me
Yeah, that seems awfully low on %. Give that a try and rev hold for a bit. Highly doubt your O2's are bad especially on stock headers.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
OP - I wouldn't give even one more thought on it. I don't believe that ethanol % whatsoever. If your fuel trims are good and tuner says tune is good, enjoy it and drive.
That PID isn't give you the actual ethanol % anyway. It is next to meaningless.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
OP - I wouldn't give even one more thought on it. I don't believe that ethanol % whatsoever. If your fuel trims are good and tuner says tune is good, enjoy it and drive.
That PID isn't give you the actual ethanol % anyway. It is next to meaningless.
Yep, this right here. Although, the % being off I've noticed AFR's higher like around 11 when the alch % is below 75 or so on the Ngauge.

OP
OP
ChiTownStang26

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Bluemustang

I was concerned since AFR was 9.7 and ethanol was reading 89% and fuel trims where within 2% before flashing the car to stock then back to the same tune with the same tank of gas and ended up with AFR 11.0 ethanol at 66.7% and fuel trims 5-7% off and they were lean. STFT was around .92-.95 and lambse was 1.03-1.07. I drove 150 miles without anything leveling out or changing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChiTownStang26

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE!

Filled up my tank at the same station ive been using for the past few months and when I turned the car on ethanol move to 65% then it started to climb! Leveled off at 74% ethanol after giing up and down a few times, AFR 10.4 and fuel trims are only now 2-3% on the lean side. Somehow filling up my tank triggered it to relearn as if I really had e66 and then added e85. I know for a fact I have e89 in my tank and this isnt a case of bad gas. I dont get it but whatever im just happy the ecu is learning again maybe next fill it will read correctly. Hope this thread helps someone in the future that might run into this.

I got the new e85r tune lund sent me to load to my device, incase somehow it really is e75 in my tank is it ok to run the e85r tune if im just 10% lower on ethanol. I know your should only use a dedicated e85 tune with only e85 but is there any wiggle room there? I have until the 8th to datalog the e85r tune and send it to lund before my window of free tune revisions closes.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
@Bluemustang

I was concerned since AFR was 9.7 and ethanol was reading 89% and fuel trims where within 2% before flashing the car to stock then back to the same tune with the same tank of gas and ended up with AFR 11.0 ethanol at 66.7% and fuel trims 5-7% off and they were lean. STFT was around .92-.95 and lambse was 1.03-1.07. I drove 150 miles without anything leveling out or changing.
Hmm I would contact your tuner. Do a datalog right after the flash. Remember also that the car has adaptive learning. The LTFTs dial in STFTs as you drive. So over time the STFTs won't need to adjust as much because the car knows.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
UPDATE!

Filled up my tank at the same station ive been using for the past few months and when I turned the car on ethanol move to 65% then it started to climb! Leveled off at 74% ethanol after giing up and down a few times, AFR 10.4 and fuel trims are only now 2-3% on the lean side. Somehow filling up my tank triggered it to relearn as if I really had e66 and then added e85. I know for a fact I have e89 in my tank and this isnt a case of bad gas. I dont get it but whatever im just happy the ecu is learning again maybe next fill it will read correctly. Hope this thread helps someone in the future that might run into this.

I got the new e85r tune lund sent me to load to my device, incase somehow it really is e75 in my tank is it ok to run the e85r tune if im just 10% lower on ethanol. I know your should only use a dedicated e85 tune with only e85 but is there any wiggle room there? I have until the 8th to datalog the e85r tune and send it to lund before my window of free tune revisions closes.
Lund told me E70 or higher is acceptable on E85R tune.

Also yes. Sometimes refilling the tank can trigger it to re-learn.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Lund told me if you fill more than 1/4th of a tank, it will trigger a re-learn.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
OP what intake are you running? I have the jlt and a few times my calculated ethanol content was way off on the flex fuel tune. Most the time its spot on but I've heard of others having this issue with aftermarket intakes as well.

OP
OP
ChiTownStang26

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Zrussian13 Roush without the insert. Car was fine for 2 months until I reflahed. The flex fuel tune is fine now I figured it out.

@Bluemustang @Zelek
Now this e85r tune I'm trying to figure out. Long term fuel trims are at .89-.95 but only drove about 30 miles. STFT come within 1-3% after 10 mins but the car starts lean at 10%, I'm guessing cause the LTFT hasn't learned yet. Almost burned out my cats when it was lean at a long light when i first flashed and I strarted smelling rotten eggs but luckily never happened again. This shits giving me a headache lol I would have flashed back the FF tune but I went WOT in 2nd and at 4k rpm the tires broke loose and I couldn't stop smiling.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Same thing happened with me after a new tune. Fuel is e-84 as tested, but tuner device % Etoh has been falling. Started at 77, then fell progressively even after clearing adaptive memory. Now it’s at 50 with A/F of 11.8.

Contacted tuner, nothing else to do.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
@Zrussian13 Roush without the insert. Car was fine for 2 months until I reflahed. The flex fuel tune is fine now I figured it out.

@Bluemustang @Zelek
Now this e85r tune I'm trying to figure out. Long term fuel trims are at .89-.95 but only drove about 30 miles. STFT come within 1-3% after 10 mins but the car starts lean at 10%, I'm guessing cause the LTFT hasn't learned yet. Almost burned out my cats when it was lean at a long light when i first flashed and I strarted smelling rotten eggs but luckily never happened again. This shits giving me a headache lol I would have flashed back the FF tune but I went WOT in 2nd and at 4k rpm the tires broke loose and I couldn't stop smiling.
How is the E85R tune working out?
Sponsored