Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Any 2018s with the A/C failure yet?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
How has this not turned into a class action against Ford? this many failures of the AC doesn't seem like something to not have a recall or extended warranty for.
Be the first to file... there’s no CA suit for this because no one has lawyered up and started one...

Sponsored

k4show

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
i've sort of got a strange issue. On a hot day (95F+), twice I've noticed the AC stops working after doing a few long hard accelerations. It stays off and doesn't come back on. It did recover once when I let it idle for a bit. When I looked at the compressor when it was in this state, it didn't appear to be engaging/disengaging when pressing the AC button. Today I tried to replicate it but AC was working fine (It was a bit cooler out today 80F).

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
If your under warranty take it in. 15 to 17s are notorious to have defective ACs. Mine died at 8k miles with 6 months of warranty left.

sam97mt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
i've sort of got a strange issue. On a hot day (95F+), twice I've noticed the AC stops working after doing a few long hard accelerations. It stays off and doesn't come back on. It did recover once when I let it idle for a bit. When I looked at the compressor when it was in this state, it didn't appear to be engaging/disengaging when pressing the AC button. Today I tried to replicate it but AC was working fine (It was a bit cooler out today 80F).
;

I'd like to know if the ECU has the logic to disable the compressor on hard acceleration to 1. Free up power and 2. Prevent damage.

Back in the day when I was running a megasquirt, there was a setting for that. It's not a stretch to think ford does the same.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'd like to know if the ECU has the logic to disable the compressor on hard acceleration to 1. Free up power and 2. Prevent damage.

Back in the day when I was running a megasquirt, there was a setting for that. It's not a stretch to think ford does the same.
I looked in the factory service manual in the A/C section and didn't see anything specific about if and at what RPM the A/C compressor clutch disengages. On other cars I've seen, the A/C compressor is typically disengaged if the engine RPM is above around 3000 RPM.

Apparently, the 2.3L Ecoboot Mustang uses a different type of A/C compressor (ie, "Externally Controlled Variable Displacement A/C Compressor") vs the 3.7L and 5.0L Mustangs which use a "Fixed Displacement A/C Compressor".

It did say the "Externally Controlled Variable Displacement A/C Compressor" in the 2.3L Ecoboost was controlled based on engine RPM (didn't say anything beyond that), but the 3.7L and 5.0L section had no info at all talking about the A/C compressor being controlled based on engine RPM.

I would hope Ford has incorporated control logic to cut out the A/C compressor above a certain engine RPM.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
;

I would be really surprised if the AC didn't shut off at WOT - that's '80's EFI technology, and the reasoning is as valid today as it was then. Remove any parasitic losses as you can when you're @ WOT for max performance when you need it.

Sponsored

sam97mt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
I looked in the factory service manual in the A/C section and didn't see anything specific about if and at what RPM the A/C compressor clutch disengages. On other cars I've seen, the A/C compressor is typically disengaged if the engine RPM is above around 3000 RPM.

Apparently, the 2.3L Ecoboot Mustang uses a different type of A/C compressor (ie, "Externally Controlled Variable Displacement A/C Compressor") vs the 3.7L and 5.0L Mustangs which use a "Fixed Displacement A/C Compressor".

It did say the "Externally Controlled Variable Displacement A/C Compressor" in the 2.3L Ecoboost was controlled based on engine RPM (didn't say anything beyond that), but the 3.7L and 5.0L section had no info at all talking about the A/C compressor being controlled based on engine RPM.

I would hope Ford has incorporated control logic to cut out the A/C compressor above a certain engine RPM.
Not knowing the difference between fixed and variable displacement compressors, im assuming the fixed means that regardless of its RPM, it moves the same amount of fluid, in which case it would not be unnecessary to disable. But from a power perspective it only makes sense. I also think it would be pretty violent to have it engage at a high RPM.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
If you're still under warranty, factory or extended, take it in and let the dealer figure it out. AC probs can be a real bear to figure out, unless it's the evap core and it sprays refrigerant all over the inside of the windshield...that's pretty easy to figure out.

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack
Here’s my issue. Took car to ford in April with no cold air blowing... I was a week out of warranty. They told me it was a leaking valve/line and a month later replaced it for $100.

2 1/2 months later driver side is blowing hot, Passenger side is fine for now. Called ford currently have an appointment for Thursday 8/8

Do I go to ford with this to see if it’s warrantied since I brought this issue to them before, or.. do I cancel my appointment and just go buy an extended service plan to cover this before I take it to them?

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
@Monica_Stang The hot side/cold side is classic evap core symptoms. I would politely but firmly speak with your service writer. Let him know you're aware of the evap core issues that the 15-17 Mustang's have (point him to this thread and others like it if needed). Also point out that you were experiencing AC issues previously, you feel this is just a further degradation of those issues and request that they fix under warranty.

If you read through this thread, some folks have had to contact Ford Care after the dealer told them no and Ford honored the fix. Hope this helps

sam97mt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
It's weird that's it's an evap core issue since there is only one core. You can't have half the core be warmer than the other.

I wonder if the cars showing this symptom have a dual zone climate and the mixing flapper is failed so you get hot on one side or the other.
Sponsored