Sponsored

Help!!! How do you do paint touch up on Magnetic grey?

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I need your help. Unfortunately, I already got a small rock chip on the plastic nose the first day I got the car (it was on the return 300 mile road trip). I planned to just do a quick touch up, but since I have the magnetic grey (paint color J7), the touch up paint from the dealer doesn't match! It’s almost black.

Problem is I had to wait two weeks just to get the dealer ordered touch up paint. I’m also scheduled to have my paint protection done this week. It is a small chip, but it is on the top of the plastic nosepiece – so I notice it every time I walk by it.

Does anyone know of a quick fix or another off the shelf color match?

Yeah I could get it painted first, but another delay in driving it! Errr

FYI - Showed the wife the nick and she (not a car fan) said, “It’s a car, not the Mona Lisa. Get over it!”

Before anyone says I should have had the paint protection done first before driving the car. Just know that this car was a last minute impulse buy that I got for 1,700 under invoice. So I had to move fast. It and its brother (a black gt350) sold the same day. And the fact the wife was ok getting it after I just got a Magnetic grey Raptor. Well, I wasn’t going to push the matter.

My choices are:
1. Find another touch up paint an fix it (make it less obvious) before the paint protection is done.
2. Move on – its not that bad – and have the paint protection done and maybe at a latter date get it fixed.
3. Wait get it painted before applying the paint protection. Oh yeah and piss off the wife.
4. You’re screwed – The car is forever ruined, so sell the car for a profit and move on to the next. Not really an option!
Close.JPG
Medium.JPG
wide.JPG
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Option 3. I read in another thread that you are OCD about your cars. Every time you wash it, walk by it, it will bug the crap out of you.

Next time apply some track tape to the paint before driving it off the lot.

OP
OP
FLETCshooter

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input, but I'm not sure how it works better than the dealer pen. My problem is the plastic under the paint is black. The color they gave my was black with silver flecks. It seams this product doesn't take this into account. Of course others online say the pen works better than the Dr. Chip in color match.
Option 3. I read in another thread that you are OCD about your cars. Every time you wash it, walk by it, it will bug the crap out of you.

Next time apply some track tape to the paint before driving it off the lot.
I wish I had thought of the track tape. I read about someone doing that before, but forgot. I won't do that again. Lesson learned. However, I probably wait since she is letting me do this on our 25th anniversary. Don't need to make her mad on that day. Maybe I'll wait until her birthday :)

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
FLETCshooter

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

1814GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1971 GMC - 1988 GT - 1989 GT Pro Street - 1991 Vert - 1986 Coupe - 1987 Saleen 47

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
That is a pretty poor color match. I would go to the dealer body shop and ask them to see if they can do better - and tell them you are looking for someone to do a pin-point touch up and not just glob a bunch of paint on top of it. I once had a 2008 GT in the light metallic gray color (not silver) and it was about the hardest color to match well that I have experienced.

OP
OP
FLETCshooter

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That is a pretty poor color match. I would go to the dealer body shop and ask them to see if they can do better - and tell them you are looking for someone to do a pin-point touch up and not just glob a bunch of paint on top of it. I once had a 2008 GT in the light metallic gray color (not silver) and it was about the hardest color to match well that I have experienced.
I went ahead an emailed a body shop (not open today) with some images to see if they can do a quick turnaround. Thanks for all the feedback. I guess for this color there is no easy fix. I just hope I don't have to wait a few weeks before having the PP applied, because the paint will need to cure.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Then have the rest of the car done, buy some track tape and cover the area that is damaged until a body shop can get to it. Coordinate for a return visit to your PPF installer when it is done. I've left track tape on for almost a year on one of my cars. No negative effect.

Sponsored

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I have lightning blue and when I used Fords touch up it did not match either. Apply the clearcoat that comes in the opposite end of the touch up paint can and that helps a bit.

Thundersteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
I have Magnetic, and the Dr. Color Chip kit works great! The repaired chips are barely noticeable.