Sponsored

Driving shoes - anyone have a specific pair they use for just driving?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just curious - and maybe to some a dumb question, but I was wondering if anyone has a specific pair of driving shoes they favor while driving their S550 (beyond shoes used for work days)?
Sponsored

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
For heel and toe work, addidas bounce. Light, flexible shoe with a nice wide sole.

For cruising, flip flops. Hey, I'm Californian!

Last edited:

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’ve gotten scarily comfortable doing aggressive footwork in dress shoes.. haha

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Just about any sneaker or casual works for me, but not my woork boots. They're just too heavy and awkward for me.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I have had several shoes.

My favorite is this Simpson in which I won two Championships:
shoetech.JPG

I also own two pair of Piloti shoes that I bought on the internet for a lot less than MSRP. All great shoes for proper toe to heel shifting:
shoetech2.JPG

shoetech1.JPG

Do not pay MSRP. These are around for fair discounted prices. They also work well and are legal in any racing series.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I bought some Puma driving shoes at one time based on internet recommendations. Frankly I don't like them. I prefer shoes with a wider sole. I don't generally have any trouble whatsoever with pedal feel in my cars. I don't think I need a thin soled shoe in order to feel what I'm doing. Probably I'm just not a good enough driver. Not sure. I bought after market pedals for my GT350 with a wider gas pedal to reduce the distance between the brake and gas pedals. I have larger feet as well. I think in modern Mustangs the pedals are plenty far enough apart that "normal" shoes can fit and a super narrow driving shoe isn't necessary.

When I go to the track I just use my normal shoes that I wear every day. I get the most practice driving with those shoes and I by far feel the most comfortable in them. In order to heel and toe I want my toe only partially on the brake and IMO it pays to have confidence and practice in where I'm positioning my feet so that I know when I go to the brake I'm not going to put my foot in the wrong spot - especially on track.

My advice would be to only buy some driving shoes if you are having trouble driving and doing heel/toe with the shoes you normally wear. Otherwise just stick with what you have.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
..My advice would be to only buy some driving shoes if you are having trouble driving and doing heel/toe with the shoes you normally wear. Otherwise just stick with what you have.
I agree.

My normal everyday shoe is a Sperry Docker (made since 1933). It is built for personal everyday comfort. It just doesn't have the angle of a proper driving shoe for me.

I think proper heel-to-toe driving is the second hardest thing to get right. The first thing to get right is slow-in-fast out in a turn. You brake hard then turn in at full power into the straight which will gain 10+ Mph at the end of the straight.

Fast-in-slow out is not a good thing. They also usually do an early apex when the late apex works much better.

I say keep the faster cars behind you:
94Cobra.jpg

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Bedroom slippers (no foolin)'

I am NOT leaving the Mustang in a parking lot for someone to door ding or some idiot to
back into using their 'reverse camera' while backing up.

I go for a drive and/or to pick up the Grandson wearing my slippers, then
I drive the car back home and put it back downstairs.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I wear Sketchers Afterburn in a wide width, it makes rolling the foot to blip for downshifts super easy. Comfy shoe as well. Better than my old racing boots which were skinny as hell, as most racing boots are.
Sponsored