Sponsored

2020 EcoBoost High Performance Package, 330 HP / 350 LB-FT, 0-60 mid 4's [Updated With Video]

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
For 35k I would take a fully loaded EB Hi-PO over a base GT any day unless I was going to use the GT as a dedicated track/drag car. It will be nearly as fast in a straight line and could be faster on certain tracks and without a doubt in my mind a better street/DD. Just my opinion of course but I think Ford is going to have success with it. I would still take my fully loaded PP2 over it, but for anyone with a cap of 35k it should be very enticing.
Ironically, no GT, including PP2, is up to serious track duty without the addition of a diff cooler (Road & Track found that out with the PP2). Conversely, you can run an Ecoboost all day at the track without the diff overheating (BTDT). In that respect, an Ecoboost is actually more "track ready" than a GT.
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sheesh!! First off you seem salty for some reason (a lot of your posts suggest this) so I feel sorry for you, must be tough going through life like that. Secondly, are you saying the Hi-Po package costs about 9k? Just going on current pricing a base EB is about 26k so to get to 35k you add 9k for that package? Maybe I missed something in how you are figuring out the options of a Hi-Po EB vs a base GT. I also find it humorous that you KNOW that a base GT with "the best" tires will beat this Hi-Po in every way on every type of road course. When have you done your testing or are you just assuming?

My advice to you is to chill out and ignore any posts about Hi-Po Mustangs as your health may be in jeopardy.
1. No, I'm not "salty" whatsoever. I find that it's usually the people who accuse others of being "mad" or "salty" or "butthurt" that are the ones who best and most often fit that description
2. I'm not ASSUMING it costs $9k, it DOES cost $9k. HiPo alone is $5k, Handling package is $2k on top of the $5k and requires the $2k 101A package. So yes, it is $9k. Maybe if you did less bitching and more reading, you'd know that
3. Because I've run my 18 GT with only tires against many modded ecoboosts, including a couple that were almost identical to the HPP (albeit making more power and torque), and they couldn't keep up. But beside that point, any logical person could see that the EB just doesn't have what it takes to be superior to the GT
4. My advise to you is to stop taking other people's opinions to heart. It seems I struck some kind of nerve with you, as you felt the need to assess me on a personal level rather than keeping discussion relevant to the topic. If you don't want to hear the facts, that's fine. But that's not going to stop me from sharing with others

Ironically, no GT, including PP2, is up to serious track duty without the addition of a diff cooler (Road & Track found that out with the PP2). Conversely, you can run an Ecoboost all day at the track without the diff overheating (BTDT). In that respect, an Ecoboost is actually more "track ready" than a GT.
This is, in absolutely no way whatsoever, factual or even logical. The reason the PP2 overheats the diff is because it puts down more lateral grip than any non-Shelby Mustang ever produced. The ecoboost has all the same components, and if it put down any kind of comparable lateral Gs to the PP2, it would also overheat the rear diff

Dmesser92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Looks like Ford brought out a Grabber Lime Ecoboost for All Ford Nationals. If anyone is there be sure to take a few more pictures!
E3DA60C6-2FFF-4669-9EC1-97B4DFA3368A.jpeg

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Looks like Ford brought out a Grabber Lime Ecoboost for All Ford Nationals. If anyone is there be sure to take a few more pictures!
Fml I'm half temped to trade just for that color. It's beautiful.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Fml I'm half temped to trade just for that color. It's beautiful.
Was just thinking I would have bought that color in a minute if it was available in '18. NFG was almost enough for me to endure a special order, but this...

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Was just thinking I would have bought that color in a minute if it was available in '18. NFG was almost enough for me to endure a special order, but this...
I wasn't a fan of nfg, saw it in person and wasn't impressed. This color reminds me of gthig on the 13 and 14 mustang, much better color imo. I'm a big fan of pastel colors on cars.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
1. No, I'm not "salty" whatsoever. I find that it's usually the people who accuse others of being "mad" or "salty" or "butthurt" that are the ones who best and most often fit that description
2. I'm not ASSUMING it costs $9k, it DOES cost $9k. HiPo alone is $5k, Handling package is $2k on top of the $5k and requires the $2k 101A package. So yes, it is $9k. Maybe if you did less bitching and more reading, you'd know that
3. Because I've run my 18 GT with only tires against many modded ecoboosts, including a couple that were almost identical to the HPP (albeit making more power and torque), and they couldn't keep up. But beside that point, any logical person could see that the EB just doesn't have what it takes to be superior to the GT
4. My advise to you is to stop taking other people's opinions to heart. It seems I struck some kind of nerve with you, as you felt the need to assess me on a personal level rather than keeping discussion relevant to the topic. If you don't want to hear the facts, that's fine. But that's not going to stop me from sharing with others

This is, in absolutely no way whatsoever, factual or even logical. The reason the PP2 overheats the diff is because it puts down more lateral grip than any non-Shelby Mustang ever produced. The ecoboost has all the same components, and if it put down any kind of comparable lateral Gs to the PP2, it would also overheat the rear diff
LOL, I suggest you go read some of your past posts to see who is salty. I have zero vested interest in a Hi-Po Mustang other than I think it is a pretty cool idea. As I mentioned before, Ford can always tweak it some based on what feedback they get. For the price, can you point me to where I can build a car with those options to see what the price is...no ok until then keep your assumptions to yourself....maybe look up the definition of assumption while you are at it. Keep in mind they purposefully don't want it faster than a base GT as they will make more off the GT sales than Eco's (I assume they could make it much more powerful and faster). I am guessing they will be forced to abandon V8's in favor or 4's and EV's etc and they are pretty smart in trying to build that base now. BTW, your 2nd point is like telling the story about catching a big fish, it is hard to believes you. As for your 3rd point I already did assess you and you came up lacking in being able to share your opinions as an adult with others.....your past posts speak for themselves LOL.Have a nice day, feel free to put me on your ignore list.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fascinating. Here is a response from Torsen regarding the S550 GT differential overheating problem. Apparently they missed the "lateral grip" issue. I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.

https://torsen.com/667-2/

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Really happy to see Ford continue the Grabber colors. This one seems to lack the horrible hood stripes that come on the HiPo package.

I'm very happy with my '18 EB PP but I have to agree that it's really hard to justify the $2500 increase over the old PP. Most of it is more or less the same so for the extra $2500 you're getting some badging, ugly stripes, 20HP and active exhaust.

My hope is that there's some secret sauce in there, that the numbers are conservative and that they'll have improved the tractability of the 2.3. In any case it will be interesting to see what kind of Lightening Lap times this model can put down with the handling package.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I was under the impression the Hi-PO 2.3 liter will rev higher than the regular 2.3 liter engine without hitting a wall above 5500 RPM. To me , the ability to rev to 6000 RPM would make the Hi-PO package very desirable.

Sponsored

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
Really happy to see Ford continue the Grabber colors. This one seems to lack the horrible hood stripes that come on the HiPo package.

I'm very happy with my '18 EB PP but I have to agree that it's really hard to justify the $2500 increase over the old PP. Most of it is more or less the same so for the extra $2500 you're getting some badging, ugly stripes, 20HP and active exhaust.

My hope is that there's some secret sauce in there, that the numbers are conservative and that they'll have improved the tractability of the 2.3. In any case it will be interesting to see what kind of Lightening Lap times this model can put down with the handling package.
Bigger tyres and magnaride are included in the handling package.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Fascinating. Here is a response from Torsen regarding the S550 GT differential overheating problem. Apparently they missed the "lateral grip" issue. I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.

Agreed ^^^

A Torsen rear is a Torsen rear, regardless of what platform it’s under - so EB to GT, it’s a totally moot point regarding generation of heat. During daily driving, the axle temps are barely a concern. In fact, most vehicles don’t even monitor rear axle temps at all and if it weren’t for a “readout” no one would even know what their rear axle temps were, be it low, high or indifferent. During any timed track event, sure there is the opportunity of the rear axle temps exceeding the “normal” temp band, but that is to be expected especially where the car is able to run nearly wide open and is hanging corners more aggressively than being on a public roadway.

Hell, most folks don’t even know what normal engine oil temps are! Do you think they're going to be swayed one way or another when buying a 2018+ standard GT PP or EB PP or the new 2020 EB HiPo, which all come with a Torsen and all of those Torsens will at some point get above “normal” heat range if put under duress???

The GT is not superior - anything that can be done to a GT can be done to an EB now - the platforms are totally universal and except all available mods. Sure the GT has 4 more cyls and 100hp, but that’s about it.

MSRP or even “out the door” cost, the buyer who selects a loaded 2018-2019 EB PP or the new 2020 EB HiPo, they are getting more bang for the buck at nearly $8k-$10k LESS. That’s not to say an EB is better than a GT, it’s saying that car for car value, a loaded EB PP or EB HiPo is getting the buyer MORE CAR for the value.

Argue all you want about a GT being this or that, but Ford will sell the EB HiPo easily enough - after all, they scored big with the EB platform when it was introduced in 2015 and sales are not slowing down.

Not everyone is about having almighty HP when buying a vehicle - sure HP plays a role, but handling also plays a larger role.

The GT has more HP and yea, maybe it pulls from a EB PP, but not everything is about just straight line pulls - the new EB HiPo may have a little less HP than it’s GT counterpart but where it’s going to make up for it will be agility - much like a real horse - it’s not only speed that can make a difference but balance and agility to adhere to the track will go further than just “WOTing” it on a road course or making muscle car exhaust noises.

I’m not a proponent more for one or the other (GT vs EB), I’m a Mustang Enthusiast who sees that Ford is heading in the right direction with the EB platform and is taking away more customers from Brand-X Auto Manufacturers (Domestic, Euro and Asian) - and those buyers are also from the older generation and younger generation of buyers. This is a good thing, most should be happy about that because it keeps the Mustang running....

I don’t think anyone is arguing the GT has a V8, but what most are missing is what I stated earlier - the EB platform can be modded to hell and back exactly like a GT, period. HP is not always where it’s at for buyers.

Last edited:

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed ^^^

A Torsen rear is a Torsen rear, regardless of what platform it’s under - so EB to GT, it’s a totally moot point regarding generation of heat.
Yes and no. The differential is essentially the same for the GT and EB, true. The only significant difference is ratios, with the GT being slightly lower (higher numerically). But this also explains why the GTs are known for overheating the diffs during HPDEs, and the EB, not so much. You take the same differential and put 30-50% more power through it (depending on RPM), coupled with a slightly lower ratio (which adds some heat), and the temps rise above the acceptable limit. Is it the end of the world for GT owners who want to seriously track their cars? Of course not. Add a diff cooler. My point is that it is simply one less mod that is necessary for the EB to be used on the track vs the GT.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have zero vested interest in a Hi-Po Mustang other than I think it is a pretty cool idea.
Agreed, it is a pretty cool idea. But it is still overpriced, and that's the point

The rest of your rambling was useless bullshit about "I'm not mad, ur mad!", so I don't care to respond. But I do suggest you do some reading

Funny, because not a single thing in there refutes what I'm saying

If lateral grip has no effect on differential load, then why are the overheating problems more prominent on the cars with wider, stickier tires? Why does the PP2 (as you specified) overheat so much faster than the standard PP, despite it's identical power, torque, and gear ratios? We're talking real world, not some customer service intern's best "in my opinion" guess at what the problem might be

A Torsen rear is a Torsen rear, regardless of what platform it’s under - so EB to GT, it’s a totally moot point regarding generation of heat. During daily driving, the axle temps are barely a concern. In fact, most vehicles don’t even monitor rear axle temps at all and if it weren’t for a “readout” no one would even know what their rear axle temps were, be it low, high or indifferent. During any timed track event, sure there is the opportunity of the rear axle temps exceeding the “normal” temp band, but that is to be expected especially where the car is able to run nearly wide open and is hanging corners more aggressively than being on a public roadway.
Agreed. A torsen rear is a torsen rear, and as soon as the EB starts seeing lateral loads as high as the GT, then it'll also start seeing those overheating problems

MSRP or even “out the door” cost, the buyer who selects a loaded 2018-2019 EB PP or the new 2020 EB HiPo, they are getting more bang for the buck at nearly $8k-$10k LESS. That’s not to say an EB is better than a GT, it’s saying that car for car value, a loaded EB PP or EB HiPo is getting the buyer MORE CAR for the value.
That's all relative. Someone who doesn't care to have all the nannies and wants a more capable track car will get better bang for the buck with the GT. That's not what we're discussing here, though

Argue all you want about a GT being this or that, but Ford will sell the EB HiPo easily enough - after all, they scored big with the EB platform when it was introduced in 2015 and sales are not slowing down..
I doubt the HiPo will sell easy. Yes, the standard Eco sells easy, but base Mustangs ALWAYS sell easy. A performance package on the base Mustang that costs more than a GT though? That won't be an easy sell. Don't believe me? Go look at the 11-14 Mayhem Mustang... I wouldn't be surprised if you've never heard of it, but it was the same philosophy with borrowing a bunch of handling-related parts from the GT and slapping them on the base model. Hell, that one was even cheaper than the GT, and it still didn't sell all that great

The GT has more HP and yea, maybe it pulls from a EB PP, but not everything is about just straight line pulls - the new EB HiPo may have a little less HP than it’s GT counterpart but where it’s going to make up for it will be agility - much like a real horse - it’s not only speed that can make a difference but balance and agility to adhere to the track will go further than just “WOTing” it on a road course or making muscle car exhaust noises..
The Eco has significantly less forward grunt with about the same handling characteristics... hell, the EB only loses about 100lbs off the front relative to the GT. That's a simple battery relocation

I’m not a proponent more for one or the other (GT vs EB), I’m a Mustang Enthusiast who sees that Ford is heading in the right direction with the EB platform and is taking away more customers from Brand-X Auto Manufacturers (Domestic, Euro and Asian) - and those buyers are also from the older generation and younger generation of buyers. This is a good thing, most should be happy about that because it keeps the Mustang running.....
I don't hate the EB, I think it's a great car for those who get what they need from it. However, like I always say, trying to compare it to big brother is NEVER going to work out in its favor

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
EB only loses about 100lbs off the front relative to the GT. That's a simple battery relocation
What kind of battery do you run?
Sponsored