Ford Performance Power Pack Calibration Questions

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
After reading a log file I found in one of the procal folders on my laptop, it appears the device (dongle) firmware is attempting, but failing to update every time I plug it into my laptop.

I'm using a work issued MacBook Air which has some minor restrictions on it, so there could be an issue there.

I do have a very old Windows PC that I'm struggling to get connected to the internet to try and download the ProCal software to and attempt to do the firmware update there.

Since I can only download the Mac version from my Mac, I can't simply transfer via USB memory stick and install from there.

Does anyone know of an alternative way to download the procal install file for windows?
Sponsored

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Quick update:

Got in touch with Ford Performance (USA) via live chat on Monday. After initially struggling to understand that I was enquiring about the euro part, but the only technical support offered was with them in the US, they asked me to send a few files from the ProCal folders for an engineer to look at.

They told me to try the download again this evening, and this time I had success! Apparently the issue was at their end with the database?!

It's getting late now here in the UK, but I have a free evening tomorrow, so I will be doing the PCM flash then. Hopefully that will go ahead without issue.

Will keep you posted.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Awesome, that stuff can be very frustrating. Hope it's smooth from here on out.

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well, flashing the vehicle was a breeze! And the car now feels like I always thought it ought to feel to drive. Sure Iā€™ll feel it was worth it in the long run.

Iā€™d previously run a tune based on the SCT canned tune which was good, but had driveability issues with the auto shift schedule. With that tune you really noticed the lack of rev matching in the downshifts which was both uncomfortable and even dangerous in some situations.

Overall Iā€™m pretty pleased

FilipV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3
Where I could buy Performance Pack 1 or 2 in UK or version compatible with UK 2017 GT? I'm struggling to find it and ford accessories website doesn't work anymore

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Where I could buy Performance Pack 1 or 2 in UK or version compatible with UK 2017 GT? I'm struggling to find it and ford accessories website doesn't work anymore
I got mine on eBay from Rates Ford

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m4084.l1313&_nkw=273567825669

I think also Hendyā€™s Sell them mail order, or keep trying the ford accessories site. There seems to be two versions, this one appears to be working...

https://shop.ford.co.uk/pages/performance-parts

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
@pacomicro out of interest, what did you calibration file read is in the ā€˜descriptionā€™ section of the ProCal software?

No worries if you donā€™t recall

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I call BS at this point, thats the same story from 7-8 months back.

pacomicro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT V8 6R80 Auto Vert pp 3.55
@pacomicro out of interest, what did you calibration file read is in the ā€˜descriptionā€™ section of the ProCal software?

No worries if you donā€™t recall
something like this "/Users/sguido/ProCal3/calibrations/(calibration file...pc3

Sponsored
OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
something like this "/Users/sguido/ProCal3/calibrations/(calibration file...pc3
When you load it into the ProCal software, ready to flash the vehicle, there is a ā€˜descriptionā€™ field in the header (between the two gauges). Mine reads something like ā€œEuro stage 6.1, s550, 2017 Mustang R6ā€. I was expecting it o include ā€˜PP1ā€™ or similar. Iā€™m hoping Ford Performance havenā€™t misunderstood me and just sent the standard stock tune file!

pacomicro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you load it into the ProCal software, ready to flash the vehicle, there is a ā€˜descriptionā€™ field in the header (between the two gauges). Mine reads something like ā€œEuro stage 6.1, s550, 2017 Mustang R6ā€. I was expecting it o include ā€˜PP1ā€™ or similar. Iā€™m hoping Ford Performance havenā€™t misunderstood me and just sent the standard stock tune file!
I'm sorry, but I can't remember it.

pacomicro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
but you wrote in post #34 that the car felt different, now it feels like stock again?

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It does feel different, maybe just not as different as I expected. Or maybe Iā€™m just getting used to the extra power?

When I changed my car last year to an identical spec vehicle, I was convinced it felt like it had a tiny bit more power, but maybe it was the default setting of the ECU and gearbox before it ā€˜learnedā€™ my driving style. Even reinstalling the stock map would trigger a reset causing a need to relearn, which could account for a difference in feel.

Iā€™m probably just been paranoid/sceptical. Iā€™m goi g to ask Ford Performance to confirm

pacomicro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's true that we quickly get used to any extra power or torque that we add to our cars,fixed on the racers in formula 1, they are never happy with the power of their cars,:shock: I think that's what you might be going through.
Sponsored