Sponsored

Poor Mustang GT lap on "The Grand Tour"?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You for real bro ? Most of the Civics have the ugly wing.
I've never said that I'm interested in the Type R or knowledgeable about Civics in general. And yes I'm for real.

Does the wing do anything other than look bad? Kind of stupid to put a wing on a car that isn't meant for the track.

One thing I do like about Civics is how crappy the panel fitment is on them. Makes me feel better about the sloppy fit of the panels on my GT350.
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I've never said that I'm interested in the Type R or knowledgeable about Civics in general. And yes I'm for real.

Does the wing do anything other than look bad? Kind of stupid to put a wing on a car that isn't meant for the track.

One thing I do like about Civics is how crappy the panel fitment is on them. Makes me feel better about the sloppy fit of the panels on my GT350.
BTW your Lighting Lap Times are done by two drivers :D

- Driver Eric Tingwall in the Mustang

- Driver Josh Jacquot in the Honda.

is it possible that the one was just 10 seconds slower than the other ? Or the one pooped and the other don't ?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I do think the Mustang was sandbagged around that track, and given that the previous Mustang GT with Track Pack was faster than the previous M3, I think the Mustang should have been a lot faster than what was shown. Can I prove that? Absolutely not. I'm not Mike Skinner, nor am I Andy Wilman.
JR
Did you ever consider the fact that S197 is way lighter than the S550 ? Stock 2014 S197 is faster than a Stock 2015 S550 and that's a fact.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Did you ever consider the fact that S197 is way lighter than the S550 ? Stock 2014 S197 is faster than a Stock 2015 S550 and that's a fact.
Of course. I had a 2006 GT, and it was much smaller feeling than my 2016 GT/PP. That said, I'd hardly consider a curb weight of around 3500 pounds for an S197 II GT vice about 3700 for an S550 GT 'way' lighter. That's about 7%, and considering the increase in tire sizes and the replacement of the stick axle with IRS, negates most, if not all of the difference in weight.

JR

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
BTW your Lighting Lap Times are done by two drivers :D

- Driver Eric Tingwall in the Mustang

- Driver Josh Jacquot in the Honda.

is it possible that the one was just 10 seconds slower than the other ? Or the one pooped and the other don't ?
Possibly. And it's possible that the PP2 would be 20 seconds faster per lap with a better driver. At least the times were on the same day.

If there are no corners and the pavement is super smooth the S197 is faster. IIRC the stock S550 GT is faster than the Boss 302 on a road course.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Possibly. And it's possible that the PP2 would be 20 seconds faster per lap with a better driver. At least the times were on the same day.
If there are no corners and the pavement is super smooth the S197 is faster. IIRC the stock S550 GT is faster than the Boss 302 on a road course.
So you are like Barney Stinson new is always better :)

Anyway I'm done discussing lap times or what car is faster with you as obviously you know best :)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So you are like Barney Stinson new is always better :)

Anyway I'm done discussing lap times or what car is faster with you as obviously you know best :)
Well I guess that's the last time in this thread that you will miss-characterize what I just said while quoting me.

Alej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 PP+PP2
I think part of the point missing is that stock vs stock could mean very little. If the stock civic came with tiny skinny tires for its weight and dimensions it would be tons of seconds slower also. A McLaren with tiny crappy skinny tires could also mean a slow car.
The Civic out of the box, lap times show, is a better balanced car.
Ford sells these PP cars as if they are great track gems, with the upgraded breaks, “unique” wheel spokes, suspensions, tires, etc. But that’s for the gullible that doesn’t know any better, like me a couple of years ago when I bought one (I have commented on many threads about it and still do because it pisses me off)... these cars shouldn’t leave the dealers with their wheel width sizes, wheel weight and rubber type, period. They know better when it comes to the GT350 and GT350R (which are not THAT much more powerful engine wise).
Yes, I believe the Civic Type R could be 1, 2 5, 10, 20 seconds faster. But I also believe that it shouldn’t be if the cars came out balanced alright.

*PP cars: I mean PP1 that is. A couple of years ago that’s what was available.
Sponsored

Last edited: