Sponsored

Seriously, How many tick/rattle engines in the last 2 months?

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
My problem is, I might never hear it if my car gets them. Permanent tinnitus, not sure if the ticks and rattles would even be loud enough for me to hear over the exhaust.
My first thought on reading this (yet another) 'ticking' thread was: "Man, if I was deaf I'd give anything to hear a bunch of noises."

I have tinnitus in my left ear, this stuff helped me: Lipo-Flavanoid (NFI). Tried several other homeopathics, this one made it bearable. Keep trying until something works (even if it's just psychosomatic).

The Gen 3 Coyote is a surprisingly complex engine. This is something I'd never heard of before:

Couple this with combined port/direct injection--man that mapping has to be slick--a 12:1 compression and an all-aluminum engine with steel guts and, well, there's all kinds of 'new-and-improved' technology that's got an order of magnitude more ways to fail.

We're doomed.
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Might as well just get a whole new short block at that point and verify all the rods are within factory spec, install it and see if the ticking is gone ... which is essentially what Ford did with short block replacement to fix the ticking.
That's what they've been doing. Only problem is, brand new engines are ticking away in almost every case. I find it hard to believe that many engines will have bad journals from the factory, or out of tolerance big ends that only happens in one spot, when there's 4 pairs. That's just crazy.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
That's what they've been doing. Only problem is, brand new engines are ticking away in almost every case. I find it hard to believe that many engines will have bad journals from the factory, or out of tolerance big ends that only happens in one spot, when there's 4 pairs. That's just crazy.
Some guys who got short or long blocks didn't have the typewriter tick return, but some did. A new short or long block could also have bad parts clearances.

It all depends on the manufacturing process and dimentional consistancy of parts, and the clearance measurement checks done during assembly. It could be that many machines are making the finishing cuts on the crankshaft rod journal widths, and one or two machines are off worse than the others. Same thing could be true on the manufacturing of all the rods.

Does Ford measure every rod and every crank journal and match them up to get the right assembled ckearances? Or do they just slap parts together, and if so do they measure every assembled crank to ensure the rod side clearance is in spec? I'd say they don't do a final check, otherwise the guy's car in post #170 above wouldn't have some rod pairs at twice the max allowed side clearance.

I have a feeling there is room for lots of error in their manufacturing process, and not enough QA to catch problems. I would like to audit the whole short block building process to see where things might be going off track.

Last edited:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
My friend had a 1974 Dodge Dart 225 straight 6 that ticked like crazy from day one and ran great when sold at 127,000 miles. Just a possibility.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
7) If the cause is excessive rod side clearance, Ford isn't going to come out and say that because they would be admitting to building engines not within specifications. Before SSM 7718, Ford would replace short blocks without any verification of cause.
That's not how it works at all. If it was a QC issue, their best bet would be to just not say anything. However, they already said it's a normal characteristic and is not attributed to any detriment of the engine. They wouldn't lie about that... do you know how much legal trouble that would get them in?

Some guys who got short or long blocks didn't have the typewriter tick return, but some did. A new short or long block could also have bad parts clearances.
I have yet to see someone who got their ticking engine replaced and DIDN'T have the ticking come back. That's why so many people are getting lemon law approved, because they're repeatedly having the same "problem"

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Because a major automaker has never gone to great lengths to publicly lie about anything...
Give me 1 example of an automaker blatantly lying about a safety issue within the past 10 years (note: The GM ignition issue wasn't lied about, it was ignored. They never addressed it until they got the recall)

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Volkswagen? Unless you don't consider toxic emissions to be a safety issue.
It's not a safety issue. Lying to beat emissions standards has no potential to cause immediate danger to someone or totally leave someone out a car.

But funny that you bring that up, because that scandal cost the company BILLIONS of dollars, found pretty much every high ranking member of the company serving jail time, and tarnished the reputation of the brand. If you really think Ford is stupid enough to risk all that just for some minor QC issues, then I don't know what to tell you other than you are quite naive

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It's not a safety issue. Lying to beat emissions standards has no potential to cause immediate danger to someone or totally leave someone out a car.

But funny that you bring that up, because that scandal cost the company BILLIONS of dollars, found pretty much every high ranking member of the company serving jail time, and tarnished the reputation of the brand. If you really think Ford is stupid enough to risk all that just for some minor QC issues, then I don't know what to tell you other than you are quite naive
There will always be people leading or high ranking in companies that are that stupid. Corporate fraud is real and will continue to repeat itself in many different facets regardless if it’s the auto industry, education, financial world, etc. Sending people to prison historically hasn’t been a good enough deterrent to stop white collar crime.

With that being said, a potential QC issue and an issue like VW with emissions are two totally different things. VW broke federal laws willingly and tried to cover it all up, hence why everyone is in prison. IF Ford was ever ousted to have full knowledge that these engines had a design flaw, they could certainly be in a position to shell out millions upon millions to remedy a fix, recall, class action lawsuit, etc. but they wouldn’t be in the same boat as a company blatantly ignoring/covering up federal law volations.

The best thing they could do in their case is replace engines that blow or have suffered internal damage due to this flaw. Which they would, under warranty. If someone brought in their car for a tick and wanted it diagnosed, or took it to and independent shop if they felt Ford was going to blow it off and could prove there was cylinder wall damage, bearing damage, etc, that would be a warranty issue. I don’t AGREE as a consumer that Ford is basically hushing the issue, but as a company it’s a lot of wasted resources, time and money to diagnose every tick an owner brings in over a situation that’s largely perpetuated through social media.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I think everyone would have a fit if the Mustang had the old 427 Ford side oiler. It ticked like hell with solid lifters and that was absolutely normal for it to do so. Who knows?.
If it is indeed normal it would be in good company, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think everyone would have a fit if the Mustang had the old 427 Ford side oiler. It ticked like hell with solid lifters and that was absolutely normal for it to do so. Who knows.
And for that, let’s honor the great engine it was:

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

I'm on your side as I think the tick issue is overhyped since it has yet to be linked to a engine failure...or at least I have yet to see evidence of it. But car manufacturers can be unscrupulous. Attached is a link about Toyota ignoring stuck accelerator issues in their cars. In this instance, it landed up costing folks their lives.

https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyo...dly-unintended-acceleration/story?id=22972214

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on your side as I think the tick issue is overhyped since it has yet to be linked to a engine failure...or at least I have yet to see evidence of it. But car manufacturers can be unscrupulous. Attached is a link about Toyota ignoring stuck accelerator issues in their cars. In this instance, it landed up costing folks their lives.

https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyo...dly-unintended-acceleration/story?id=22972214
Like I said, "Hiding" and "blatanty lying" are different. At least if they "hide" it, there's a chance they can play ignorance and it'll just pass over. That would've been Ford's best course of action if this really WERE a problem. However, you will just about never see a company come out on their own accord and just flat out lie about an issue. This is what people are saying Ford did, and it's absolutely absurd. If they really thought something was wrong and they wanted to take the best course of action without taking accountability, they would've just kept brushing it off

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The tick I can chalk up to Direct Injection, but that rattle has shown up as cylinder scoring in quite a few cars

That’s a problem, Period

For 40k that shouldn’t happen

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Give me 1 example of an automaker blatantly lying about a safety issue within the past 10 years (note: The GM ignition issue wasn't lied about, it was ignored. They never addressed it until they got the recall)
If the tick is caused by excessive rod side clearance (or any other kind of parts clearance problems) it's not going to be a "safety issue" and it's probably not going to hurt long term engine reliability - just like their typewriter tick SSM says.

But Ford certainly isn't going to come out and say it's caused by parts out of specification because that would be admitting to putting out engines not built to engineering specs. They would rather address each noise complaint as they come in.

Why did it take Ford 8 years to say the ticking is "normal" and authorized short block replacements for those 8 years until the typewriter tick SSM put an end to all of that. If the ticking was actually caused by oil cavitation then why wouldn't they just say that since there is nothing they can do about cavitation. If you study oil cavitation in journal bearings, it can actually do quite a bit of damage to the relatively soft bearing surface, yet Ford's SSM says the tick isn't damaging. Another mis-match pointing away from oil cavitation as the root cause.
Sponsored

Last edited: