Sponsored

Is the '19 MT-82 and shifter that much improved?

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
As my '19 was being built I read plenty of threads about shifters and concluded that my first mod would be a Blowfish bracket ($) or MGW shifter ($$). I only have about 250 miles on the car but so far the shifter has been better than expected. I have (only) taken it to about 6000 rpm so far but the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts have been clean and quick.

Are Ford's recent upgrades enough or is a bracket/shifter still going to be a big improvement?
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I'm not familiar with the older shifter, but my last manual had a MGW and after having that I feel spoiled. I don't have any real issue with the stock shifter, but I STILL plan to move to an MGW. Mostly due to the fact that the MGW can be bolted right to the transmission for more accurate shifts. My "cheap out" option is just doing some bushings and a FP shifter lever.

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
I have a 19 PP1 with a Sept 2018 Build date with dealer installed MGW shifter before I picked car up and signed papers. Six weeks since I picked up and just rolled over 900 Miles and have been easy on it with no High RPM nor hard shifts. Two weeks ago, would not go into 2nd gear, pulled back into neutral area and then went in. Thought I just missed - it happens. 2nd time, pulled into 2nd gear and it felt like a rubbery Rod. Twice today 10 mile ride home, would not go into 2nd gear...………….had to double clutch it to get into 2nd gear.

.Really like the car, but not happy...……….going to dealer with TSB's in hand.

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
I have a 19 PP1 with a Sept 2018 Build date with dealer installed MGW shifter before I picked car up and signed papers. Six weeks since I picked up and just rolled over 900 Miles and have been easy on it with no High RPM nor hard shifts. Two weeks ago, would not go into 2nd gear, pulled back into neutral area and then went in. Thought I just missed - it happens. 2nd time, pulled into 2nd gear and it felt like a rubbery Rod. Twice today 10 mile ride home, would not go into 2nd gear...………….had to double clutch it to get into 2nd gear.

.Really like the car, but not happy...……….going to dealer with TSB's in hand.
Update: Called MGW and received Fantastic Customer Service. Pulled the console and found the problem. Two things......as stated had dealer install shifter and they did a stellar job (Sarcasm). Found the rubber boot installed wrong so it was catching in the Lock-out pin. The 1-2 shift adjustment also was not set properly. Adjusted the lock-out correctly and reset the rubber boot and no more issue. Took pictures and will speak to dealer on level of service. Just happy its not a Transmission fork issue

OP
OP
boB

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Update: Called MGW and received Fantastic Customer Service. Pulled the console and found the problem. Two things......as stated had dealer install shifter and they did a stellar job (Sarcasm). Found the rubber boot installed wrong so it was catching in the Lock-out pin. The 1-2 shift adjustment also was not set properly. Adjusted the lock-out correctly and reset the rubber boot and no more issue. Took pictures and will speak to dealer on level of service. Just happy its not a Transmission fork issue
Not surprised that the dealer did a poor job but surprised they would even install the MGW shifter. If I get one I will install my own. :)

Sponsored

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
I had a 2016 GT and now have a 2018 GT. I feel the shift feel is improved. I have done the BG Synchroshift II, and it makes a nice improvement. But, with that being said, I will get the MGW eventually. I have done MGW in my previous 5 cars ( 3 Mustangs & 2 Vettes) . The MGW is well worth the money.

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
As my '19 was being built I read plenty of threads about shifters and concluded that my first mod would be a Blowfish bracket ($) or MGW shifter ($$). I only have about 250 miles on the car but so far the shifter has been better than expected. I have (only) taken it to about 6000 rpm so far but the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts have been clean and quick.

Are Ford's recent upgrades enough or is a bracket/shifter still going to be a big improvement?
I've had two different MGW shifters on a 2012 GTCS. The redesigned MT-82 shifts great compared to the older transmission, and I see no need to to install an aftermarket shifter. The MGW would shorten the throw a bit, but in my opinion the new factory setup works so well that a change is not worth the cost.

racrguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I've got a factory shifter and have had problems with 1-2 shifts, that gear change is vague and isn't confidence inspiring. The rest of the gears are good to go.
Sponsored