Sponsored

"Entry Level" Performance 2020 Mustang Coming -- Mustang ST?

wibled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2002 Thunderbird, 2021 Bronco Sp
Don't know if anyone mentioned it but Ford has a press conference scheduled at the NY Auto Show on April 17 and it says "National Mustang Day & Snacks"
Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
GT350 with a 2.3 ala Focus RS = entry level performance Mustang

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
The head gaskets were changed for 2018 (my RS - a 2018 LE - has the "right" headgasket)
A simple tune can defeat autostart - piece of cake.
The HG remark was more sarcasm....

And the start/stop being removed from forscan was the question.....

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Heard all models get a facelift for 2020

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
I didnā€™t read all of this thread but I hope they do not do this. One of the nice things about a corvette when you see it is that you know itā€™s a corvette. You know itā€™s a performance car. With mustangs, Camaros, challengers etc you donā€™t know whether itā€™s a 4 banger or 8 cyl. My preference would be offer with V8 only but that wouldnā€™t work for everyone so just two engine configurations would keep it rarer.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I didnā€™t read all of this thread but I hope they do not do this. One of the nice things about a corvette when you see it is that you know itā€™s a corvette. You know itā€™s a performance car. With mustangs, Camaros, challengers etc you donā€™t know whether itā€™s a 4 banger or 8 cyl. My preference would be offer with V8 only but that wouldnā€™t work for everyone so just two engine configurations would keep it rarer.
I hope someday Ford decides the make the $500K Ford GT a "real performance car", i.e., dumping that wimpy 650 hp V6.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think some people are confusing the term "performance" with "nostalgia". You can certainly argue that a Mustang (or a Corvette) should always be offered with a V8, for nostalgic reasons. But real performance has nothing to do with the number of cylinders, e.g., Formula 1.

Sponsored

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
So this is most likely a stage 1 factory Ecoboost. Since those will make 350HP reliably and quite a bit of torque.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How about an 800 hp EcoBoost v8?
I think the larger, heavier, V8 would require too many modifications to the existing chassis. Really, it's unnecessary for the performance level they can already achieve with the V6.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, aren't all car that aren't econoboxes "unnecessary"? The GT is the exact opposite of everything practical, so why stop at 75%?
I guess that's just it. The fact that the engineers of a no-holds barred, $500K super car opted for a V6 instead of a V8 tells you a lot. This car is all about performance, not perception or nostalgia.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You think accountants weren't involved with the development? The v6 has the same DNA as the rest of the v6 EcoBoost line. It's the same story with all v6 engines. It exists only because it can packaged in everything. If the car was truly "no holds barred", it would have a v12. Ford doesn't have a v12 in production, but it does have a v6 that can be retooled and boosted to the hilt. Imagine if they put that much effort into the Coyote.
This assumes that more cylinders is always better. I assume the engineers had a virtually clean sheet approach to achieve specified performance goals. Yes, I suspect they had to base the engine on an existing production motor. And if "more cylinders is better" was part of their thinking, they would've put the Coyote in the car. No reason not to. But I imagine that to achieve the overall performance objectives (which involves a lot more than going fast in a straight line), it was determined that a turbo V6 would be a better engine configuration to achieve those objectives.

All of this is simply emphasize the point that "performance", by definition, has nothing to do with number of cylinders.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I predict this new entry level model will be call the GT200. How? We have a GT500, GT350, thus the next step down is=GT200. Engine probably the Ecoboost 4. Not likely to be antoher v8 as we have plenty of those already.

I just wish Ford would hurry up and make an Ecoboost V8= twin turbo 5.0 i.e. 600 hp with a warranty!
Sponsored