Sponsored

Ford will offer a third engine (more powerful 2.3L EcoBoost) to 2020 Mustang lineup

ClevelandV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2020 GT or HP Ecoboost
To be honest, I would have seriously considered the 3.7 if they offered it for the 18-19's. It's a little lighter, and a little better on gas. I drive spirited, and I don;'t race at all. I considered the 2.3L, but I just couldn't get over the horrid exhaust. At least the V6 has a nice tone. That, and I've seen a few guys now install the 3.5L Ecoboost turbos on a 3.7L, and it works pretty good with proper tuning. They can push them to roughly 430-450HPO without killing them. So, you can get V8 power out of a much less expensive engine. To be honest, I wish Eaton made a supercharger for the 3.7L with updated rods, etc. That would be an interesting setup.
Agreed. However, I was listening to exhaust clips on American Muscle.com and found that the Magnaflow Competition Series Catback sounds awesome on the EB. Their "street" series catback sounded so-so (to my ears).
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I'll just leave this right here..... http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/04/camaro-to-face-new-found-competition-from-new-mustang-svo/

Basically a lot of "it could be just about anything". The most interesting to me is, they're saying it will be revealed at the New York Auto Show. I'm guessing that if it is, it will be done off-site. I'll be attending the press conferences at the show on April 17th and Ford does not have a press conference scheduled. Lincoln does, but Ford does not. Ford does have an off-site event where they are supposed to introduce the 2020 Escape. So far I don't have an invite for that so I may have to rely on one of my colleagues to give me the lowdown if she decides to go.

***EDIT*** Here's a link to Ford Authority article on the same car. Fitting that it should have more info than the GM Authority linked article :giggle: http://fordauthority.com/2019/04/new-spy-pictures-potentially-show-upcoming-mustang-svo/

Last edited:

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I'll just leave this right here..... http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/04/camaro-to-face-new-found-competition-from-new-mustang-svo/

Basically a lot of "it could be just about anything". The most interesting to me is, they're saying it will be revealed at the New York Auto Show. I'm guessing that if it is, it will be done off-site. I'll be attending the press conferences at the show on April 17th and Ford does not have a press conference scheduled. Lincoln does, but Ford does not. Ford does have an off-site event where they are supposed to introduce the 2020 Escape. So far I don't have an invite for that so I may have to rely on one of my colleagues to give me the lowdown if she decides to go.

***EDIT*** Here's a link to Ford Authority article on the same car. Fitting that it should have more info than the GM Authority linked article :giggle: http://fordauthority.com/2019/04/new-spy-pictures-potentially-show-upcoming-mustang-svo/
Ford does have a press conference scheduled for 1:50-2:15 on the 17th. They also say it's in celebration of National Mustang Day. I'll be there. Here's the link to the schedule: https://www.autoshowny.com/press/#press-conferences

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Weird....the original SVO was not a budget car. It was actually priced higher than the GT and not only matched it’s horsepower, but was much more well equipped.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford does have a press conference scheduled for 1:50-2:15 on the 17th. They also say it's in celebration of National Mustang Day. I'll be there. Here's the link to the schedule: https://www.autoshowny.com/press/#press-conferences
Good catch! I hadn't updated my schedule. Explains why I was showing such a huge hole between Nissan and Maserati. Would be nice if they updated the GT500 numbers at this National Mustang Day event.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Weird....the original SVO was not a budget car. It was actually priced higher than the GT and not only matched it’s horsepower, but was much more well equipped.
I suspect that if... there is a SVO, it will sit just under the GT350.

You have to understand the term "affordable Performance & entry level". This is a car that will compete directly with the BMW M2 and M235i/240i, etc..

It will essentially be a GT350 but with an Ecoboost engine and cost $15k less.

If there is a Ford Performance ST (ie: SVO), then it will sit higher than the GT, & offer options the GT doesn't have. The SV0 was ahead of the GT, in Ford's lineup, so it should be again. And if this is a true Ford Performance Vehicle, then what I suggested will ring true.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I suspect that if... there is a SVO, it will sit just under the GT350.

You have to understand the term "affordable Performance & entry level". This is a car that will compete directly with the BMW M2 and M235i/240i, etc..

It will essentially be a GT350 but with an Ecoboost engine and cost $15k less.

If there is a Ford Performance ST (ie: SVO), then it will sit higher than the GT, & offer options the GT doesn't have. The SV0 was ahead of the GT, in Ford's lineup, so it should be again. And if this is a true Ford Performance Vehicle, then what I suggested will ring true.
That all makes sense if the car has a high output 3.5L V6 EcoBoost like in the raptor. Makes zero sense if the car has a 350 horsepower EcoBoost 4 banger. No one will buy it, $15k less than a GT350 is the price of a Bullitt.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
That all makes sense if the car has a high output 3.5L V6 EcoBoost like in the raptor. Makes zero sense if the car has a 350 horsepower EcoBoost 4 banger. No one will buy it, $15k less than a GT350 is the price of a Bullitt.
Try right in the middle... a 3.0 liter v6 turbo. (450TQ)

edt:
the 2.3 liter "4-banger" is capable of 380~400TQ at much lower rpm than the GT, Bullitt,& 350... and if Ford Performance get a hold of the RS engine for the Mustang, they might decide to put bigger turbos on it, etc..

Just look at what Tune+ is doing with the 2.0 block. Imagine what Ford can do with the 3.0 block.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F3282C18-6FDF-4198-ADE1-EB43EF638BAD.jpeg
Good catch! I hadn't updated my schedule. Explains why I was showing such a huge hole between Nissan and Maserati. Would be nice if they updated the GT500 numbers at this National Mustang Day event.
Well, it’s finally official. Applied for the press pass months ago and it finally arrived today. I’ll be able to attend the National Mustang Day event. If there’s any news on SVT/ST or any update to GT500 info I’ll kick it back to M6G first.