Sponsored

Diode Dynamics Switchbacks and BCM / Tail Light Issues

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I'm looking at installing the @Diode Dynamics switchback turn signals in my '16 GT. However, I have come across a few threads and a few reviews about the switchbacks confusing the BCM and the tail light stops working. I haven't seen if there is a solution or update, or even a definitive cause for this issue.

There have also been mentions about DD updating their switchback product from time to time. Anyone know how recently this was and if they nailed down a cause and possibly addressed the issue?

I also wonder if the lack of resistance in the circuit is the problem, if so wouldn't installing the piggyback resistors solve it?

Some posters have indicated that the problem self corrected and others had the BCM replaced several times and still had troubles. Again, nothing definitive one way or the other.

If anyone has experienced this issue (with DD switchbacks or any other brand), please comment and please include:
the timeframe (or possibly the actual part # for comparison to the current one)
whether or not you were using resistors when it occurred
what you did to fix it
did the BCM self-correct (and anything you may have done to force a "self-correction"), or did it need replacement / servicing to fix it.
Sponsored

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Have the switchbacks in my 2015 and my wife's 2017. Neither vehicle experienced that issue. The best part is that if you run into any issues with DD product, their customer service is great!

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 , 2017 Ford Edge Sport
I'm looking at installing the @Diode Dynamics switchback turn signals in my '16 GT. However, I have come across a few threads and a few reviews about the switchbacks confusing the BCM and the tail light stops working. I haven't seen if there is a solution or update, or even a definitive cause for this issue.

There have also been mentions about DD updating their switchback product from time to time. Anyone know how recently this was and if they nailed down a cause and possibly addressed the issue?

I also wonder if the lack of resistance in the circuit is the problem, if so wouldn't installing the piggyback resistors solve it?

Some posters have indicated that the problem self corrected and others had the BCM replaced several times and still had troubles. Again, nothing definitive one way or the other.

If anyone has experienced this issue (with DD switchbacks or any other brand), please comment and please include:
the timeframe (or possibly the actual part # for comparison to the current one)
whether or not you were using resistors when it occurred
what you did to fix it
did the BCM self-correct (and anything you may have done to force a "self-correction"), or did it need replacement / servicing to fix it.
I didn't use the DD ones.
No resistors and no issues with the tail lights.

On the S550 the turn signals do not hyperflash, only the dashboard light does a double beat, which I took care of with Foscan.

The turn signal is much more noticeable than stock because it flashes from OFF to bright Amber ON, compared to the stock which flashes from dim Amber to bright Amber.

Turn Signal - Hyper-Flash Disable
BCM 726-27-01 x?xx xxxx xxxx Change ? To: 1-on (default), 0-off (no hyperflash)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7444-7443-Switchback-LED-Bulbs-WHITE-AMBER-Dual-Color-Turn-Signal-Lamp-Light/192443860151?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194-50-50-WEDGE-SMD-LED-LIGHT-BULB-PLATE-TRUNK-RUNNING-MARKER-SIGNAL-SIDE-WHITE/372136475766?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Good, a couple of votes for no issues with the tail light turn signals. All running without resistors?

Sponsored

MustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 401A 6M Ruby Red
Installed the switchbacks last week. Running without resistors so I have the hyper blink on the dash but the signals blink at normal rate. No issues. I like the look.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Good, a couple of votes for no issues with the tail light turn signals. All running without resistors?
No resistors here. Only "issue" is the hyper flash inside, which doesn't bother me in the least. After a while you don't even notice.

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
Running DD all over the carNo issues, no resistors.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
2 years, no resistors, no issues.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I ran them for about a year, I had the intermittent tail light issue. No resistors. The switchbacks started flickering and I had enough of them and switched to OPT7s

Sponsored
OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I ran them for about a year, I had the intermittent tail light issue. No resistors. The switchbacks started flickering and I had enough of them and switched to OPT7s
Did you find out anything about what was causing the tail light issue?

And more importantly, did the tail lights go back to normal when you went to the other bulbs.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Did you find out anything about what was causing the tail light issue?

And more importantly, did the tail lights go back to normal when you went to the other bulbs.
I'm guessing the difference in resistance that affects the blinker also confuses the BCM and affects the tail light.

The tail lights went back to normal.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I've been looking at OPT7s. How do you like them?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
I've been looking at OPT7s. How do you like them?
I'm happy with them. They look really good. Currently I just had to send them in for repair one of the LEDs died, but no biggie. 2 year warranty. Best looking option on the market IMO and I was tired of the issues with the switchbacks.

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
My DD switchback bulbs arrived today, but now I'm seriously considering returning them and buying the OPT7 instead.

There has been some discussion about the OPT7's not playing well with the "smart" charging system. Any idea if that has been sorted?
Sponsored