Sponsored

Joined the Whipple Club, Any Advice For a First Timer?

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I bought mmr due to some concerns about the boundary cs not being properly beveled and therefore no
I ended up going with the MMR's. Pics of the install coming up :).
Good choice. Some people don't like the boundary CS because it doesn't have a bevel that allows it to sit flush on the crank. Never heard of any failures, but I'm installing MMR right now just for peace of mind.
Sponsored

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
All finished up! All of your advice was certainly right, plenty of zip and 1st is useless now. I have left all of the Guardian settings to stock for the time being, even though I think even Whipple recommends one of them be set to "Off" as it is a bit overbearing as far as being safe with timing.

The only complaint thus far I can find is unfortunately on cold startup this morning, "chirp-chirp-chirp-chirp" for a little bit after first startup, going to give that a bit as everything is still new with only around 30 miles on the setup, and I did note right after first startup there was some belt noise that went away. It could simply be the sheaves/pullies/belt still wearing off coatings/ect. If it persists much after 1k miles or so I will explore alternative belts and such as reported by other users.

Power wise, plenty for sure. All i'm wanting out of the setup is a mid/high 11 second pass and i'm good. Car had went 12.7@109 (3500ft corrected D/A) prior, and it seems like the Nitto's I have do a great job mid 2nd gear onward, which should improve as the weather/temp gets warmer vs. the 50 degree day the initial hits were on.

All in all, very happy with the kit and it's OEM like looks/fitment. They did a great job engineering this kit, and if the ONLY issue as far as the car still being reliable/trustworthy on distance trips vs OEM is that belt chirp, i'm perfectly fine with that.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
Congratulations. Belt should not chirp.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I found out why......turns out the spring clamp that I re-used on the coolant reservoir (small vent line) was seeping just a little, I think I over-spread the clamp and hurt the clamping tension. It had dripped a few drips on the belt. I washed it all down with water, but no avail:

Double checked all stands/tensioner/blower alignment as per the instructions. Still have the annoying squeak. So I did some thinking....it appears in the video that when the printed portion of the belt on the smooth back side goes across a smooth pulley, is when it squeaks. The supplied Gates belt is super glossy/smooth on the back side. Now, I know that OEM belts such as the ones that come on all Coyote's and EcoBoost cars are textured on the back and not glossy. Continental's OE series belts are not smooth/glossy and are textured like OEM. So, I purchased and installed one that was the same length as the supplied Gates. So far, about 6 pulls and it's whisper quiet.

Was it the coolant? Probably. But, part of me wants to say it wasn't either as on initial startup after about 3 minutes of running you could lightly hear that belt lettering running across the pullies, at least that's what it appeared to me.

Time will tell, and I will update for better or worse on the matter as the miles accumulate.

Otherwise, I am 110% happy with this kit. Hands down. Power is unreal even with all settings left as supplied, more than enough for me (and my tires!).

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the part number for the Continental belt?

Sponsored

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I am running the 3.750" Pulley, all stock otherwise. Keep in mind, this data and testing is very early on my part yet......want to give it many miles and time before saying this helped or did anything. Was on the shelf at the local Autozone, so i'm assuming it fits something common.

Here is the Gates belt I pulled off, note how smooth/glossy the back side is. Now, i'm not claiming this is an issue, I may have something else going on entirely....I know Whipple knows their product and there is a reason they use Gates products.

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks is that Gates belt the one that came with your Whipple?

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. It is a very tight fit....I had to position the offset spacer on the adjustable idiler pulley so that the offset was towards the passenger side vs. the driver side of the engine to get the belt to fit, in addition to sliding it over one of the smooth idilers for clearance as trying to slide it on a grooved pulley was impossible. When installed, and after a light run-in, the billet tensioner rests at about 85-90% of it's travel. That Continental belt appears to be the exact same as the Gates one, a little tight going on but once on it seems to work great. It should also be noted that in my instance, the adjustable idiler is completely against the stop on the passenger side, plenty of room for a smaller pulley with this belt i'm sure, but not any larger.

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks I bought my kit last year and it came with the 106.6 inch belt so I guess now they use the smaller belt.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No problem. If I may, were you having belt noise as well?

Sponsored

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
No not with chirp but getting belt slip sometimes.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah, I see. My issue has to have stemmed from that few coolant drips that got on the belt. Seems like everyone with the latest tensioner has not really had any issues, which this kit has. So far, so good!

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, I see. My issue has to have stemmed from that few coolant drips that got on the belt. Seems like everyone with the latest tensioner has not really had any issues, which this kit has. So far, so good!
The belt they are providing of late is soooo small, I have no idea why they made that switch. I ordered the gates belt they provided before the switch as recommend by another member who has installed a ton of these kits on our cars.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^ yes. I was super frustrated during the install as I tried to put the belt on and it was literally a chore, until I figured out what idiler to slip it over during the install. She's tight....right at the end of the tensioner's range with that belt, and I had to flip the offset spacer on the adjustable idiler around to give me enough room to slip the belt on. No way no how I could get it on with the offset to the driver's side like the instructions stated....tried for almost 45 minutes.

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
^ yes. I was super frustrated during the install as I tried to put the belt on and it was literally a chore, until I figured out what idiler to slip it over during the install. She's tight....right at the end of the tensioner's range with that belt, and I had to flip the offset spacer on the adjustable idiler around to give me enough room to slip the belt on. No way no how I could get it on with the offset to the driver's side like the instructions stated....tried for almost 45 minutes.
Yea man I knew right away something was wrong. Luckily that forum member has mentioned it to me a few weeks prior that they were sending out these new smaller belts so I ordered the right one ahead of time. That one goes on how any belt should. I’m sitting at about 3/4 of the way to the driver side on the adjustable one and the tensioner is right around 80%. From my tests, the belt they provide would have the tensioner almost maxed which is not ideal.
Sponsored