Sponsored

Joined the Whipple Club, Any Advice For a First Timer?

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
tcclindy, on your stage 1 dyno, what fuel was that on? And, it was still on the Whipple tune, with the suitcase still in?

I also have left all the Guardian settings set to default. I recall in the instructions Whipple saying you can set one to On, perhaps Octane adjust? Seems like I remember reading they had said it was overbearing and could be safely changed to slightly increase power, so long as the fuel is good of course.

Thank you all for your help so far.
Sponsored

tcclindy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krazy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Wow those are strong numbers for stage 1.
Can you describe the hesitation you’re talking about? Do you have manual? 3.55 or 3.73? Thanks
Around 2200-2800 RPMs I got a sleight hesitatation, Whipple said this was a common problem with their stage 1 kit for daily drivers, in some cases it would backfire then surge with massive power. After upgrading to there new throttle body and there custom tune it rips now.

3.73 gears with a manual, upgraded with an MGW short throw shifter (best upgrade ever)

tcclindy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krazy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
tcclindy, on your stage 1 dyno, what fuel was that on? And, it was still on the Whipple tune, with the suitcase still in?

I also have left all the Guardian settings set to default. I recall in the instructions Whipple saying you can set one to On, perhaps Octane adjust? Seems like I remember reading they had said it was overbearing and could be safely changed to slightly increase power, so long as the fuel is good of course.

Thank you all for your help so far.
93 octane, resonator in had Roush axle backs installed, i believe the octane adjust is for running lower octane, there is a setting for E85 as well. Fast lane did my installation and dyno run, it was the standard Whipple tune for their stage 1 kit.

FYI, I put on the Borla S-type CAT back system, I absolutely love it, Roush got raspy on me when I removed the suitcase, the Borla has a nice deep throaty growl and much less drone inside the car.

Sound clip if any is interested.

YumaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
@Bbarfoot14 What is the part number for the gates 106” belt that everyone is recommending? My kit came with gates K061025 and I can barely get this belt on and when I do, the tensioner is maxed out against the stop and the idler pully is maxed out to the passenger side. Has anybody spoke to Whipple about this?

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Whipple SC

I'm still running the supplied length belt (102) albeit a different brand. I tried and could not get the belt on until I changed the offset spacer to the passenger side vs. driver side as the instructions said. I'm at about 80-85% on the billet tensioner with the adjustable tensioner maxed out to the passenger side. Seems to be working great so far.

Sponsored

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn’t get the 102 belt on and switched to the gates K061031 per Whipple guidelines on belt length for 3.75 pulley. Not sure why they’re shipping a belt their own specs say is too short. The 103.1 is 0.6” longer, allowed me to put adjustable idler at 90% towards p/s and auto tensioner is at about 10 o’clock. I still have yet to drive this car, recent install, but sure it will stretch a bit and allow me to move the adjustable idler to 80’ish%.
D0864FA9-7AD0-4791-9279-507DFCCC9447.jpeg

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I e-mailed Whipple support. Will update once I get a reply. According to that chart, indeed the 102.5 is not to be used with the supplied 3.750" pulley like I have. It works....but having to flip the offset tensioner spacer and having the spring loaded tensioner so close to end of travel just does not seem right.

Reactions: Gee

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I e-mailed Whipple support. Will update once I get a reply. According to that chart, indeed the 102.5 is not to be used with the supplied 3.750" pulley like I have. It works....but having to flip the offset tensioner spacer and having the spring loaded tensioner so close to end of travel just does not seem right.
That’s kind of the way I felt. After looking at the their specs and struggling to get the 102 on, not making it by what seemed like millimeters, I thought .6” longer would be mint and put it on.

Having the auto tensioner all the way at the top with no room to travel can’t be good. It’s still pretty close to the top on mine, hoping it stretches a bit once heat cycled and driven some.

YumaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I called whipple support and they confirmed the K061025 (102”) is the wrong belt that was shipped out. They are sending me a 103.1” belt. I’ll let you know what the part number is when I get it and if it fits correctly.

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I called whipple support and they confirmed the K061025 (102”) is the wrong belt that was shipped out. They are sending me a 103.1” belt. I’ll let you know what the part number is when I get it and if it fits correctly.
It will be the same Gates Micro-V Belt, but in 103.1" length, K061031. I bought one at the O'Reilly's near where I live and ordered a second on Amazon for spare after confirming the first fit correctly.

Sponsored

YumaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
@Gee I read your above post where with the correct belt, you are at 90% on the adjustable idler and your tensior is at 10’oclock. Would you say you are within the 75-80% of the tensioner’s travel like the manual states? The reason Im asking is because Im trying to determine whether I should max out the adjustable idler to obtain the correct tensioner travel when I get this new belt or say screw it and get the 106” belt like many on here have done.

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
@Gee I read your above post where with the correct belt, you are at 90% on the adjustable idler and your tensior is at 10’oclock. Would you say you are within the 75-80% of the tensioner’s travel like the manual states? The reason Im asking is because Im trying to determine whether I should max out the adjustable idler to obtain the correct tensioner travel when I get this new belt or say screw it and get the 106” belt like many on here have done.
This weekend I was planning to check the auto tensioner and see how much travel it has. I'm as concerned as anyone with it being in the "right" position. If had to guess it's probably at about 90% travel right now, but will confirm and reply here.

I should have the car completely back together by Sunday and hope to drive it, but it snowed 4" last night and unless we have a heat wave and the roads are clear, she ain't leaving the garage. I'm pretty confident a few heat cycles and rips on the road will get it where it needs to be. For the record, I did not flip the T-nut around on the adjustable idler.

Last edited:
OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Whipple support tech informed me to use the newly supplied 102 belt that came with the kit. And, in order to get it on to flip the adjustable idiler offset spacer as I had to during my install. They stated that they changed this to account for belt stretch. So far, the spring loaded tensioner on my setup is leveling out about 85-90% travel give/take. It has moved out a bit after around 200 miles no doubt, although we have too much white stuff and cold here now to really drive it for about the last week.

I guess since Whipple confirmed, i'll continue to run the 102 and see what happens, it's their kit and their tech support advising to do so at least in my instance.

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well, that's interesting as it contradicts the chart on their website and in their manual... So you flipped the nut on the backside of the idler and still had to shove it all the way to the p/s 100%, and you have the auto tensioner at about 90%? I'm not changing anything on mine, the 0.6" extra isn't enough to give a crap about.

This is all a bit odd as there are folks running the 106" not complaining, I suppose they could be having slip issue because that's a pretty big difference from 102.5"...

EDIT: It also contradicts what YumaStang just posted about talking to Whipple and they told him he got the wrong belt, haha, wtf?

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct, and I even called out that the size chart with the 3.750" pulley in my kit stated to use the longer belt, as the tech even pointed out in this reply by stating I had been very detailed.

I'm going to keep rocking the 102 Continental personally. Correct, I simply flipped the nut offset on the adjustable idiler pulley to the other side, which gave me just enough clearance to get the 102 while sliding over a smooth pulley. Initially, the spring loaded tensioner was nearly all the way to it's stop, however after running for a while and around 100 miles it had leveled out to around 70-80ish give/take. Here is the email from Whipple tech support:

Sponsored

Reactions: Gee