NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

EcoBoomer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base EB; Performance Pack; Power Pack; Magnetic Metallic
Yeah, it's definitely correct. I'm gonna reformat the drive and re-download the update file before I try again.

Approximately how long does it take from the time the drive is plugged into the car until the update starts? When I've done this previously I don't remember it taking more than 5 minutes or so.
Since you are using a Mac, check out my post #4599 and be sure yours did not extract in the same manner as did mine; the default unzip program did it that way. I had to get another unzip program to do it correctly.
Sponsored

Rcobra427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
hey everyone, I did the update and everything went fine with updating the unit but after the update my navi maps just show a loading screen, like it just keeps spinning in a circle and then when touch the navigation button on the screen, nothing happens as in it won't click over to the navi full screen. Does anyone have any insite on this?

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium, Magnetic
Forgot to update this thread, but I did get the update to work. I definitely had the files extracted to a correctly formatted USB drive.

When you plug in the drive and the head unit recognizes it, almost immediately a banner drops down across the top of the screen that says 'Software Update In Progress...' or something to that effect. Then you have to sit and wait.

My car wasn't doing that.

In a previous post I had mentioned that the car did recognize the flash drive when I had the directory structure on the USB drive wrong. It threw the LS005 error, apparently meaning that the update files weren't in the right place.

What I ended up having to do to get the update to work was to move the update files to an incorrect folder, plug in the USB drive and deliberately trigger the LS005 error, then pull the USB drive out, plug it into my laptop, move everything back where it should go, then plug it back into the car.

Once I did that, the head unit immediately said there was an update in progress. Then it was just a matter of waiting for it to finish.

FastTR03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Hey guys, so my friend and I are trying to update his unit. He has a 2016 non nav unit. I had the update that I downloaded for my car which is a 2016 as well but with nav. My update worked correctly but we are getting an error on his that says: “installation failed installation has run out of space or does not work with this version”

Im guessing its because my update included the nav info. His unit is currently at version 1.0. Ive been reading through the posts but Im still at a loss here. Can anyone shed some info on how to get his to update to 3.0?

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium, Magnetic
Hey guys, so my friend and I are trying to update his unit. He has a 2016 non nav unit. I had the update that I downloaded for my car which is a 2016 as well but with nav. My update worked correctly but we are getting an error on his that says: “installation failed installation has run out of space or does not work with this version”

Im guessing its because my update included the nav info. His unit is currently at version 1.0. Ive been reading through the posts but Im still at a loss here. Can anyone shed some info on how to get his to update to 3.0?
Have him go to https://owner.ford.com, log in and download the correct update for his car. Try with that.

If that doesn't work, have a look at this post: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mem_err03-when-trying-to-update.100437/#post-2197698

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
So can someone direct me to the link for the 3.0 update or post the link ....thanks
I take it you stopped reading before you got to the FIRST post in the thread? :wink:

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed
So I have a question I cannot seem to find an answer for after searching.

I bought a 2016 GT Premium. w/sync 3 non nav. about 3 weeks ago.

I did a master reset, did not know the previous version/whatever of it. Either way, it is mine now. It is Sync 3.0 version 1.0.

Ok, so I go to do an update... I go to FORD.com etc... I had setup my account, I went to the update screen.. It says

Your SYNC is up-to-date!
Now, you're running the fastest, simplest and best version of SYNC.

Then lets a link to go back home. Says it was updated sometime in 2016.

So I would like to get into updating the car but I cannot get the file to download it to try it. Just says I am up to date. I have the car synced with my phone, and hooked up to my wifi. Auto Updates enabled. It even displays it tried to find an update at 215p on 1/6/19, so I assume it has reported its version to Ford.(I know I have to update via USB, but hoping it would tell ford what version the car has and prompt a download for me)

I attempted to do the fordpass app with my phone but it pops up quickly then crashes on both my apps on Sync, and on my phone.

I have a copy of my windowsticker from my VIN and yes it part of the car, not swapped in or anything.

Any tips on how to get the file?

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
You will need to go through this thread and download the software and update manually.

Or take it to a dealer and most likely pay them unless they want to be nice.

To get Apple Carplay you will need to upgrade the physical USB hub as well most likely.

Sponsored

BurnCycle

I drank what?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I bought a 2016 GT Premium. w/sync 3 non nav. about 3 weeks ago.

Any tips on how to get the file?
Those of us with Sync 3 Non-Nav are having a shit time with this. It can be done but has to be done manually and with a hacked version. Trying to use the version its says is the correct one will get you nothing but a memory error while trying to do the update. Have a look at the very first post of this thread (it is updated regularly). It contain a link just for us. Follow the link to the link to get the appropriate file needed to update. Directions are still the same, nothing special needs to be done, just the use of a hacked file.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
All right guys... will tell you my situation....

There is ALOT of info in this thread it was hard for me to dig around and find what I felt would work for me... didn't know where to get files, if I had to do 1.0-2.2 then 3.0, hacked files, from Ford files etc...

1st... My Car, I bought a used 2016 Mustang GT Premium Non nav Sync 3 v. 1.0

-when I attempted to "update" via the FORD website it just said, you have most up to date software! I connected via wifi, car checked 2-3 times but said I had the latest version with 1.0. So I had no way to download a file from FORD for my VIN.

-I am not too much of a fan of "hacked" files I am downloading from wherever, I really wanted a file from FORD. So I went to carfax, did a car search, found a 2017 Mustang GT Premium NON-NAV, carfax displays VIN, I used that and got an update file from FORD. JR3T-14G381-AM
-i then followed these instructions, and first time I pulled the USB prematurely. But followed the directions properly the 2nd time. Everything seemed to work. Took maybe 15-20 min of USB loading.

I found these quoted in post 5166 of this thread. Also had a picture, and the instructions made sense for the issues people have about breaking up the load..

I was updating from 18025 to 18093 and continued to get the same error message regardless of what I tried (disconnect battery cable to dump anything resident in memory, turning off blutooth etc). I read on other Ford sites and the problem has to do with the limited memory available in the non-nav apim. (As is often stated - it has nothing to do with your flash drive). Some had success rearranging the order of the file installations but I found that their order solution was the same order as the present download for the Mustang. It didn't work for me. Some did re-installs back to earlier versions (your 2.2 for example) but you are there and it isn't working for you. It's been determined that the install gets hung up on the 451.3MB and/or 772.1MB files; there isn't enough memory to unpack them both. Their workaround was to delete some of the files, do the install, then delete the other files, while restoring the first deleted files, and do the install again. None of the directions I found were done on 18093, this most recent one, and there are a different number of files with different names across the models, so really nothing to go by.

SO.... Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Here's what I did, I started with removing only one file at a time and it seems to have worked flawlessly.

1. Unpack the JR3T-14G381-AM.zip to your desktop and copy the contents of the JR3T-14G381-AM folder to your flash drive. Work only from your flash drive from this point on.
2. Delete the JR3T-14G423-BA.tar.gz file (772.1mb) from the SyncMyRide folder on your flash drive.
3. Open the autoinstall.lst with a text editor (TextEdit on a Mac or Notepad in Windows) on your flash and delete lines - Item3 and Open3.
4. Remove the spaces where Item3 andOpen3 resided and rename Item4 and Open4 to Item3 andOpen3. EVERYTHING ELSE SHOULD STAY AS IT IS.
5. Save the file with the same name - autoinstall.lst.

6. Take the flash to your car and do the install. It should update successfully and basically tell you that you are finished. But you are not. (I checked the Sync screen and it still showed 18025).
7. Take your flash back to your computer and do the same thing except you will copy the "BA" file from the SyncMyRide folder on your desktop to the same folder on the flash drive.
8. Now, delete the "AM" file - JR3T-14G381-AM.tar.gz (451.3mb) on your flash drive.
9. For simplicity sake, I copied the original autoinstall.lst from the desktop and overwrote the modified one on the flash drive and did steps 3,4, and 5 again, this time deleting Item2 and Open2 lines, removing spaces, and renaming Item3 and Open3 to 2, and Item/Open 4 to 3
10. Repeat step 6 and it SHOULD work for you (caveat emptor). I checked the Sync screen and it shows version 18093. I tested all the functions and everything seems to work fine. It even seems to be quicker - but that could be me wanting it to be so!

Godspeed!
Let everything do its thing, loaded both sets of files, shut car down let it sit about 7 min, fired up and I had version 3.0. Android auto works, Waze works, google maps works, voice commands to fire up pandora works. Fordpass worked for the first time ever. Did one quick trip with Waze, I have been a googlemaps guy but everyone raves about waze so giving it a try.

So if you have a non-nav 2016 Sync 3 Mustang... I'd follow these instructions. ***DISCLAIMER*** I only drove the car 5 min to check this stuff out havent seen if there are any bugs associated with the way I did it, hopefull it doesn't mess with any other features of my car.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
All right guys... will tell you my situation....

There is ALOT of info in this thread it was hard for me to dig around and find what I felt would work for me... didn't know where to get files, if I had to do 1.0-2.2 then 3.0, hacked files, from Ford files etc...

1st... My Car, I bought a used 2016 Mustang GT Premium Non nav Sync 3 v. 1.0

-when I attempted to "update" via the FORD website it just said, you have most up to date software! I connected via wifi, car checked 2-3 times but said I had the latest version with 1.0. So I had no way to download a file from FORD for my VIN.

-I am not too much of a fan of "hacked" files I am downloading from wherever, I really wanted a file from FORD. So I went to carfax, did a car search, found a 2017 Mustang GT Premium NON-NAV, carfax displays VIN, I used that and got an update file from FORD. JR3T-14G381-AM
-i then followed these instructions, and first time I pulled the USB prematurely. But followed the directions properly the 2nd time. Everything seemed to work. Took maybe 15-20 min of USB loading.

I found these quoted in post 5166 of this thread. Also had a picture, and the instructions made sense for the issues people have about breaking up the load..

Let everything do its thing, loaded both sets of files, shut car down let it sit about 7 min, fired up and I had version 3.0. Android auto works, Waze works, google maps works, voice commands to fire up pandora works. Fordpass worked for the first time ever. Did one quick trip with Waze, I have been a googlemaps guy but everyone raves about waze so giving it a try.

So if you have a non-nav 2016 Sync 3 Mustang... I'd follow these instructions. ***DISCLAIMER*** I only drove the car 5 min to check this stuff out havent seen if there are any bugs associated with the way I did it, hopefull it doesn't mess with any other features of my car.
Do you know if your vehicle came with SYNC 3? Could somebody possibly have upgraded a SYNC 2 VIN?

The way QNX updates work there is virtually no risk of hacked files that can do any damage. Ford has a digital signature that the system is looking for to validate the software being passed to it. Not only would somebody have to know that digital signature, but they would also have to know the algorithm to use on that signature to generate the incredibly large number as a hexadecimal string for each file to be loaded onto the system. One tiny little misplaced bit is failure. The system won't accept it. The "hack" is a bit misunderstood, but the name is proper. The hacking is done to the loading procedure, not the files themselves.

With that said, the best solution by far is to load the nav version of the voice.img which takes up a whole lot less space... Then run the update as normal.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
My car per the window sticker pulled form FORD says Sync 3.

Wither way, WAZE worked great all day, so did Pandora... I need to get on spotify a little more. If it worked... is there really any advantage to doing it with the NAV voice.img? Or is htere future problems to worry about.?

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
My car per the window sticker pulled form FORD says Sync 3.

Wither way, WAZE worked great all day, so did Pandora... I need to get on spotify a little more. If it worked... is there really any advantage to doing it with the NAV voice.img? Or is htere future problems to worry about.?
The advantage as I see it is that you can create a "pre-update" usb drive that can be used before any future update pushed by Ford. (I kind of doubt there will be another before a new system shows up). Then instead of hacking the update every time you just run the pre-update-hack then the new update as it was designed to be.
Sponsored